Pirate Radio Station

ImmortalGO

I wanted to check to make sure this wouldn't violate the rules in anyway, I don't think it does, but I figured I would rather ask and be certain.

My friend and I were thinking about running a pirate radio station sometimes (not all the time, or daily, or on any specific schedule) where we could play music, take requests, take phone calls, maybe give away prizes etc.  Essentially, we would "pirate" one of the radio frequencies and whoever wanted to listen could just tune their radio in.  We would transmit from a hidden location up North away from people (RP value is we don't want to get caught with our illegal transmission and server reason so we aren't near people and spamming them). 

For a little technical details on how it would work: I have a MG12XU mixer that I use for all of my audio on my PC and my audio channels are separated with different sound cards, so I can transmit in a way that will sound "normal" as in, I'm not suggesting sticking a mic next to a speaker, the sound would be directed directly into the output channel of my mixer (the quality would be identical to voice quality in TS).  I can pipe the cell phone audio channel back into the output so if someone calls the "station" their voice as well as mine will be transmitted across the pirate station, the same concept works for music, I can just pipe the music out to the pirate radio channel.

I think there is a lot of RP value in doing this, but we were mostly concerned with it violating a rule with TS or would be thought as some abuse.  I know we have ~90 frequencies available to us so I was hoping there wouldn't be a problem with commandeering one.  Thoughts?

Edited by ImmortalGO
  • Like 6

I don't see the harm in it honestly.. Im all for the

if all parties are in agreement of the RP it should be allowed

. Having a radio channel that you use. "Go to a channel and ask" Hey anyone using this channel? no response free game. It affects no one unless they join the channel , however channels arent dictated to anyone , no one owns any channels besides the encrypted ones. 
+1 for your idea!

Edited by Inevitable

11 hours ago, Kilo said:

you would prob want a feature to where ppl cannot talk on that freq to avoid ppl ruining it , but ya that would be pretty cool

however channels arent dictated to anyone , no one owns any channels besides the encrypted ones. 

That's a totally fair point that I did consider.  I was kinda thinking if people liked it, and since there is an abundance of open channels, that people wouldn't just "troll" it by yelling into the radio freq or whatever.  I was thinking since it's whitelist and generally everyone in the city is pretty nice it wouldn't be a problem.  My major concern was that I don't want to violate a rule or something that disallows "spam" or would consider this some abuse of the system.

8 minutes ago, ImmortalGO said:

That's a totally fair point that I did consider.  I was kinda thinking if people liked it, and since there is an abundance of open channels, that people wouldn't just "troll" it by yelling into the radio freq or whatever.  I was thinking since it's whitelist and generally everyone in the city is pretty nice it wouldn't be a problem.  My major concern was that I don't want to violate a rule or something that disallows "spam" or would consider this some abuse of the system.

I dont see the harm , plus Los Santos in vehicle radio stations suck anyways , so it would be cool. You could promote it as a business to RP as well. Follow the XM radio model Paid subscriptions for Radio usage , Broadcast daily los santos news etc
Maybe even have podcasts with criminals and reporters of the city could be pretty sick. Lots of good ideas can come from this as an RP standpoint. but as kilo did mention , spam would ruin the channel if people were out to be malicious but as you did say its white list and people do understand the rules. So wouldn't be a huge issue at the current moment. However with the server ever becoming public again. You will face that concern , but i mean you could only sell subscriptions to frequent flyers of Los Santos, so there would be ways to moderate.

3 minutes ago, Inevitable said:

I dont see the harm , plus Los Santos in vehicle radio stations suck anyways , so it would be cool. You could promote it as a business to RP as well. Follow the XM radio model Paid subscriptions for Radio usage , Broadcast daily los santos news etc
Maybe even have podcasts with criminals and reporters of the city could be pretty sick. Lots of good ideas can come from this as an RP standpoint. but as kilo did mention , spam would ruin the channel if people were out to be malicious but as you did say its white list and people do understand the rules. So wouldn't be a huge issue at the current moment. However with the server ever becoming public again. You will face that concern , but i mean you could only sell subscriptions to frequent flyers of Los Santos, so there would be ways to moderate.

A lot of these ideas are what we were coming up with which is why we were getting excited to try it out!  Not sure about the XM model part, maybe if this became something people really liked and if the borders opened in the city I could discuss a private freq with the Government that only frequent flyers can access.  But we were hoping we could have call in interviews, a news section, music, requests, all types of stuff you would hear on the radio.  For example, I think it would be awesome to interview to police captain or something after a huge drug bust, just to add more to the world and it also would let people who aren't involved with certain aspects of the city still be up to date on what's happening around them.

3 minutes ago, ImmortalGO said:

A lot of these ideas are what we were coming up with which is why we were getting excited to try it out!  Not sure about the XM model part, maybe if this became something people really liked and if the borders opened in the city I could discuss a private freq with the Government that only frequent flyers can access.  But we were hoping we could have call in interviews, a news section, music, requests, all types of stuff you would hear on the radio.  For example, I think it would be awesome to interview to police captain or something after a huge drug bust, just to add more to the world and it also would let people who aren't involved with certain aspects of the city still be up to date on what's happening around them.

I just keep imagining a Joe Rogan podcast lol. All for the idea here lol

5 hours ago, Serpico said:

Now that I think about it... setting up a system where its one way broadcast is not hard. Someone, put it on the to do list.

Where do I add it =].  We are 2hrs into our first broadcast.  Happy to explain in a bit more detail how it works on my end if you think that has value.  Still trying to test and get the levels right where it's audible but not overpowering, so people in the city can listen, but still hold a conversation.  Our objective would be that in most situations people would leave it on, like a radio in the car, or a podcast / internet radio if they are in the streets.

So we just finished the broadcast, we got 3 request throughout the broadcast and the frequency was clear the entire time, except for at the very end.  Two people joined it trying to find each other.  They seemed to get that they should probably move channels and it wasn't a problem, but just wanted to report back how it went.  We were reading twitter and mentioning things that were happening so for example if 2/5 said "We are now open at 2/5" we would say "If you are in the city, don't forget to repair that bumper damage at 2/5, pretty sure they are doing some good deals over there, don't get stuck on the side of the road."  Trying to keep the station updating people and more interactive with the city.  If anyone tuned in tonight, I would love feedback on how to improve it.  Obviously music tastes and preferences are different, so I'm not necessarily looking for "you should play this or play that" because we are open to any requests, but feedback about the quality, what to add, how to improve would be greatly appreciated.  It was a fun first night!  Excited to try and grow it.

Here is an example of an inmate making a request, and how we are handling it: (clip got removed because of copyright big oof)

Edited by ImmortalGO
missed a 'd'