Radio's on the server

Merr Khan

I believe officers of the law should be allowed to scan any radio frequency that they have PC, or reasonable suspicion of a crime about to be committed, or just committed.   
I think radios are a great additional RP tool brought into the game.

As of now police are not allowed to use, or scan civ ch's, this promotes sloppy and lazy criminal RP. 
Criminal organizations are only as good as the officers of the law they are combating with, these organizations should be talking in complete secret code when on an open radio frequency, and much more, this is RP. 
However there is really no need in the current meta. There is no fear of the law.  

Maybe when someone joins a radio ch there should be a audible click? Some small clue to the people in the ch already that someone has joined.  

I push that LEO's be able to scan radios frequencies of lets say a "known" criminal channel.

example: After arresting a suspect, you as an officer, should take their radio and listen in, as any cop would. Make sure there isn't an ambush coming.  
               A real criminal organization will have code words, check in procedures, and back up ch to use when something is wrong. 
               Or you over hear people talking about how they are about to commit a crime and use (**) radio ch.

Last as a civ, if you happen upon a radio ch and hear a crime being planned, wouldn't you want to call the cops?  Really sucks when they put their hands up and say "we can't touch that".

RP 1st

Either way, as a player who is mainly civ I see no point in breaking the law with out risk of being caught. 

Edited by Merr Khan
  • Like 2

No police should not be allowed to just scan radio frequencies. They would need prior knowledge to know that a criminal is even using a radio at that time. You shouldn't have the mentality that every criminal is using a radio. That should be found out within the situation. It's one thing if the police know they're on a radio during a situation. But promoting power gaming is all I can see coming from this. 

Further down the line , there should be some kind of way to where , if an officer arrests a subject , he's able to look at the last frequency of each radio. Could easily be done as tokovoip saves your last radio channel even on disconnect.

If civilians can not get into encrypted channels , which is actually really easy in real life. I don't feel like police should be able to scan the channels for a criminals radio channel , there are ways for tokovoip to give sound globally within proximity which should be step one for the radios imo. Also there are frequencies out there that are illegal to even law enforcement. So wouldn't channel scanning be considered criminal actions by an officer? What's to say you don't scan on to a military channel " within RP reason " that would be an illegal channel to law enforcement even most times.

I'm newer to the city so I haven't been around for any kind of "criminal meta" , I just don't see this promoting good RP as you're breaking a barrier of knowledge that your character would have. You won't know when a criminal even with reasonable suspicions is on that radio channel unless an active crime is committed and or you see him using communications? 

REDACTED : sorry I didnt read your example fully, first responded on my phone which must not have showed the edit and finally posted when I had the time I apologies for that!

Edited by Inevitable
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last thought - I see this, if allowed, no different then any other illegal area, substation, or activity.  
Cops should not sit on a ch all day, but if made aware of a crime being committed, and a radio being used, then an illegal check should be authorized. 
Is it that much different from the Informer?  

Again, im not a cop anymore. Im robbing stores, dealing drugs, and using a radio. I know im not the only one who gets a thrill knowing they can get caught RP'ing. 
Its not a crime to RP.  

Edited by Merr Khan

Surveillance should be done by detectives, not just some Joe Schmoe cop
On the same page as you, as a crim I LOVE the sense of being watched, having to operate under darkness
Being careful with who you speak to, what you say, where you conduct business, etc
Would just be super hard to balance because theres no way to determine which channel the crims using, therefore you would have to "wiretap" random channels which isnt all that legal

Other forms of penetrating criminal organizations that Id personally love to sees REAL UC cops
Most well established gangs tend to know who a majority of the cops are so you'd have to do a damn good job of playing the part to be successful (Fake IDs would be a must)
Chances are word would get out after a successful bust so UC operatives have to be real creative to make another or end right there

Though for it to be worth there should be a lot at stake for crims such as risk of being raided/longer prison sentences (max 12 hours)
To make up for it though, there needs to be more for crims to do and they should make a lot of money (If they dont make dumb mistakes) with the understanding that you're always at risk of losing, thats part of the game

Ive played on a server that had 2 day long max sentences, even death row for crimes heinous enough
Thats a tad too far but even being sentenced for that long wasnt SO bad because of the AMAZING RP (crimes were very well thought out, proper heists with plans ABC) that led up to sentencing, the amount of things to do and freedom granted to crims more than made up for that
Some sort of middle ground would be perfect IMO

Edited by Caralanco
  • Like 1

I agree that the Police Department should have a method to intercept radio communications, the process has to be standardized and relatively turbulent. I don't think it should be a straight forward process for a cop to receive the clearance to do this.  The first step is to define "Reasonable Suspicion" what constitutes the assumption that there might be a crime happening on a frequency? This definition would have to be standard and added to the civilian rights document. I don't believe any officer reserves the right to intercept radio transmissions unless they receive a warrant. With the current implementation of a DOJ If a Judge is around the PD should present their evidence to him/her and receive a warrant to intercept communications. If there is no judge around there should be an alternative route to receive this warrant maybe through a detective or a high ranking officer (who within roleplay can say they received it warrant from a judge). Overall this will force criminals to act smarter and be more careful when planning organized crimes which is always a good thing!

Edited by Isaiah Rashad
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 7:54 PM, Isaiah Rashad said:

I agree that the Police Department should have a method to intercept radio communications, the process has to be standardized and relatively turbulent. I don't think it should be a straight forward process for a cop to receive the clearance to do this.  The first step is to define "Reasonable Suspicion" what constitutes the assumption that there might be a crime happening on a frequency? This definition would have to be standard and added to the civilian rights document. I don't believe any officer reserves the right to intercept radio transmissions unless they receive a warrant. With the current implementation of a DOJ If a Judge is around the PD should present their evidence to him/her and receive a warrant to intercept communications. If there is no judge around there should be an alternative route to receive this warrant maybe through a detective or a high ranking officer (who within roleplay can say they received it warrant from a judge). Overall this will force criminals to act smarter and be more careful when planning organized crimes which is always a good thing!

It would be kind of cool to have like an "illegal scanner" or something that they could listen to 1 of the pd channels or something.  It wouldn't be something that I'd want to see be really easy for them to have or for everyone to have but could be interesting

Edited by Bill Brady
  • Like 1

I always thought cops could... I love the idea of having to be secretive, use code words, or bounce to diff channels, worrying the cops or another gang are listening. I also love the idea of some sort of police scanner that would allow criminals the ability to listen in, not talk on, police channels. Some expensive item from black market, with a 5 min duration and 30min-1hr cooldown or something? I do think cops should be allowed to scan frequencies though. Its no different than a CB radio or walkie talkie, they are public channels..