Offline Jail/ Switch characters from jail

paska

So with recent changes, people will be spending more time in jail. I am not against that at all. I just think it was a little premature. If a scenario is happening and I simply punch a cop I'm looking at max time. Right now, there is nothing in prison. There is no way to do anything and maybe reduce time or even entertain yourself. I would love the ability to server the ENTIRETY of the time offline. I know its been talking about but with the caveat of "There is mandatory time you need to serve online." Why? I HAVE to sit there for 45 minutes and just do nothing? Why can't I switch characters and go play something else while that character is in jail. The way it feels right now is more punishment to the person than it is to a character. Let us switch characters from jail and serve the time offline or on another character. Oh, you got 45 months and you're about to go to sleep? The first 45 minutes of playtime tomorrow are sitting in jail.

Edited by paska
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Richie said:

because it would just be meta to fuck around and then log off when your in jail, making the jail time meaningless. Why even put people in jail then? 

the character is in jail not the person playing the character remember that.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, buttpounder420 said:

the character is in jail not the person playing the character remember that.

"I'm going to bed for the night, I might aswell kill as many cops as I can cause the time won't matter while I'm going to bed"

Regarding prison time I think I have *some* weight to comment here. I think the plan is to make it so that there's a set amount of time you can serve offline but also a minimum amount of time to spend in character in prison. With the increase of jail times I'm going to certainly be spending more time with DoC stuff. From testing here and there DoC seems to be working to a degree so there's that. Another plan is to have DoC be able to reduce time while in prison but that is still in the works. 

When no DoC are available I think there would be some small jobs which would cut down time by a small amount and maybe issue a small amount of money; these jobs would be disabled if DoC are clocked in.

I have no idea when apps and so on will open so right now it is just me and I cant do it 24/7 - Ideally this'll negate the concerns to an extent.

Im no official tho, just the muscle :)

Edited by Spartan / Rhodes

100% agree with this until there is more to do in prison. Personally, Criminals need to commit crime to give police roleplay but then when they get caught they shouldn't be forced to IRL spend 45 mins doing nothing. It's almost like punishing people for roleplaying. However I know there are things in the works for prison down the road but allowing someone to switch characters isn't a bad idea at all. If abused it should be punished on a person by person basis. 

I mean we could introduce cops who get shot in the line of duty and need to be taken to the hospital to sit at mission row for 45 just for roleplaying their role? I mean that would be pretty much the same thing honesty. You see how odd that is? 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Kota Taylor said:

Criminals need to commit crime to give police roleplay but then when they get caught they shouldn't be forced to IRL spend 45 mins doing nothing. It's almost like punishing people for roleplaying. 

Honestly, this. We play our role and it feels like we are being more and more severely punished for it.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

If we have a system to just bypass jail time then why even have it all? 

People can't do crime like in 1.0 where you would just do it for 8 hours straight and the jail timer was just the intermission times. The servers far more grindy and spaced out for RP and introducing immense jail times with no way to shorten the times wouldn't do any good for anyone.

It seems like a lot of cops have that 1.0 mindset where if you do the crime you need to pay the time - and that was because people couldn't control themselves. I definitely think something should be done about the longer jail times for keep the RP more realistic. 

I second this to because you should be able to spend some of the jail time offline or on another character because if it keeps up the cops will get bored patrolling around and no one committing any crimes at all because no one wants to sit around in jail for 45 min full time maby have it like they have to spend half of the time online and half  off line because if there are no more criminals in the city then what good are cops and doa anymore eather

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kota Taylor said:

Cops and Criminals need each other for content, Without one the other is super bored. But only one of them have to spend 45 mins in most cases alone roleplaying with thin air for losing is all I am saying. 

100% agree. If theres no criminals the role of being a cop becomes boring and just turns into driving around in circles. We shouldn't be discouraging criminals from doing crime with massive jail times and tickets, rewarding RP is a key thing to keep people interested. 

I see no harm in letting people offline their jail time or at least a good portion of it because as the prison is (In its current state when DOC isn't around)  just sitting around doing nothing. Forcing people not to RP for 45 minutes isn't a good thing and as Lebowski said we are punishing the character, not the player.

• Like 3

Just as an FYI, adjustments were made that address some of these concerns regarding heavy fines/times. Much appreciation for all the feedback and ideas you guys have been providing to build a healthy balance. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I understand that it would be a serious issue as people could just fuck around and go on a murdering spree before just going offline, but in my opinion you can't withhold good changes from good RPers to suit the bad. If that were to happen, those people should be banned for FailRPing. I agree with your suggestion, +1 from me.

Edit: To add to this, I think it would also discourage people from having a winning mentality. So many people dread going to jail because it's boring, and they'll risk a minor rule break or risk breaking immersion and fun for other people involved to stay out of jail in my experience. 

Edited by Sarr