Lockpicking

Razec

Hello folks!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Today I want to bring up the issue regarding lockpicks.

Why can't you just break the window on the car and lockpick it inside, instead of having to lockpick it every step of the way? 

I understand it's current design, but why not implement a specific tool you would need to break open a window, like a hammer for example.

Another thing: Why do you need to lockpick the outside of motorbikes? It just seems we're lockpicking a invisible wall just so we can sit on the bike. 

I have a more ambitious suggestion regarding lockpicks and vehicle interactions: Just like the recently added hacking minigame in the Fleeca Bank Job, why not add a lockpicking mini game. Instead of basing it on luck, it would be a lot more interesting to base these interactions on skill. 

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Hey! While I do understand your concerns, while some things are there for Balancing Purposes and are regulated to prevent abuse.

The reason these things are to prevent the following:

• Excessive GTA, making it fairly easy for someone to steal a car and making it a source of "Income" with no respect to reasonable RP.
  • Also, Not all car windows are easily broken by your elbow or even a tool, usually, advanced criminals use, OBD Port Hacking, Car-Door Hacking, Towing, etc..
  • It completely ruins the purpose of Locking your vehicle or Any other vehicle. Because if this was the case, anyone could easily get into any vehicle

So, there are a few reasons to go based on the reasons I provided above, some may find it reasonable, some may not. However, I do agree adding a minigame to lockpicking or even getting tools to "hack" a vehicle instead of physically stealing it. I would love to see a Skill Based System. I also had an idea, where if you managed to get inside a vehicle, you can insert a Specialized USB that adds a tracker to the vehicle and you'll be able to monitor the activity for  the vehicle using a Hacking Computer For a limited amount of time. Obviously, to get those items, you'll have to do a bunch of illegal activities to get the material to craft/obtain the item. But yeah, just an Idea, it could add more to Criminal RP, Let me know what you guys think :)

• Like 4

I have some input on this issue. I we are talking about a new lock picking system we need to look no further then skyrim. A similar lock picking mini game would add more realism without making it overly easy to lock pick.

63279-1529185947-1531915626.jpeg

Take something like this but use the image of a car, door handle keyhole. Would add some realism and allow lock picking to be faster for those who get a feel for the lock picking. Maybe nicer/expensive cars would have a harder difficulty while cheaper ones would be easier. Again, the speed and rate of success would rely solely on skill. 

EDIT: Along with this I recommend a slight price reduction in lock picks as for less experienced individuals it would take quite a few attempts. To prevent brute-forcing a cool down would be necessary after a set number of attempts (maybe 3?)

Edited by lordcyb3r
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 3:16 PM, Razec said:

Hello folks!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Today I want to bring up the issue regarding lockpicks.

Why can't you just break the window on the car and lockpick it inside, instead of having to lockpick it every step of the way? 

I understand it's current design, but why not implement a specific tool you would need to break open a window, like a hammer for example.

Another thing: Why do you need to lockpick the outside of motorbikes? It just seems we're lockpicking a invisible wall just so we can sit on the bike. 

I have a more ambitious suggestion regarding lockpicks and vehicle interactions: Just like the recently added hacking minigame in the Fleeca Bank Job, why not add a lockpicking mini game. Instead of basing it on luck, it would be a lot more interesting to base these interactions on skill. 

What do you guys think?

Take a look at my previous post. What do you think of this idea? I feel it would make a good compromise. 

Edited by lordcyb3r
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lordcyb3r said:

Take a look at my previous post. What do you think of this idea? I feel it would make a good compromise. 

I think the Idea is Great! Obviously, Skyrim is great, but I think Fallout has a more adapting system to when you can lockpick a door/something. So a question, If we are leaning towards a Skill Based System, Skyrim allows you to lockpick any door/item regardless of your Lockpicking Skill (Meaning, if your skills matches the lock difficulty OR Not, it won't make a difference in giving you the ability to ATTEMPT to lockpick. However, the higher your lockpick skill is, the easier the lock is able to be picked) and will only make the Door/item harder to pick if your skill does not match the lock difficulty. Fallout on the other hand, will NOT let You to pick the lock unless your skills matches the lock difficulty. To me that makes a little more sense, since if your character doesn't even know how to pick a novice Lock, how will it make sense for a character to lockpick a Very Difficult lock? RNG will be involved in that case because the character attempting to lockpick the lock will have to try multiple times in order to pick it (Based on my torturous experience in both Skyrim and Fallout). But all in all, Marvelous Idea, I think it can be implemented and easily regulated. 

Edited by Matthew King
  • Like 2

Not gonna lie, It makes sense in skyrim for you to be able to lockpick every lock because everything is literally a padlock lock. Once you know one you know them all. And then the shape doors and the special keys you don't know because its not a padlock.

Fallout on the other hand, is taking to its point its in the future so no lock is ever the same in most cases.  So you would need to learn more about the types of locks, and how to diagnose a lock and how to get into said lock.

Now in the world of GTA and which is inspired by reality. Most car thefts/jackings occur because of:

-Its an older car, which is easier to boost

-Its unlocked(Most common)

-The keys are visible at first glance

As someone who grew up with guys who stole ipods, laptops and other various items from cars, That's generally what they looked for was people just being like im going in that store its fine. Because most people are negligent and have over confidence in public eye. People really don't know who owns what so if you just walk up to a unlocked car and grab something out, Literally nobody would question it unless they knew who you were or what car it was, Especially if you managed to turn the car on and just left.

If we're gonna go a route where we follow in line with these other games and trends, Wouldn't it be better suited to make it so not every car is locked and then just have people hotwire cars and go from there?

28 minutes ago, Kevin Ross said:

Not gonna lie, It makes sense in skyrim for you to be able to lockpick every lock because everything is literally a padlock lock. Once you know one you know them all. And then the shape doors and the special keys you don't know because its not a padlock.

Fallout on the other hand, is taking to its point its in the future so no lock is ever the same in most cases.  So you would need to learn more about the types of locks, and how to diagnose a lock and how to get into said lock.

Now in the world of GTA and which is inspired by reality. Most car thefts/jackings occur because of:

As someone who grew up with guys who stole ipods, laptops and other various items from cars, That's generally what they looked for was people just being like im going in that store its fine. Because most people are negligent and have over confidence in public eye. People really don't know who owns what so if you just walk up to a unlocked car and grab something out, Literally nobody would question it unless they knew who you were or what car it was, Especially if you managed to turn the car on and just left.

If we're gonna go a route where we follow in line with these other games and trends, Wouldn't it be better suited to make it so not every car is locked and then just have people hotwire cars and go from there?

Yes thats a great idea! Maybe like a 20-30% chance that the car is unlocked?

19 hours ago, Kevin Ross said:

Let's also reinforce the fact that motorcycles don't need to be lockpicked on the outside for you to sit on it, lol. 

Edited by Razec

• 2 weeks later...

So, my only criticism of the new system is that if you succeed in the mini-game, you shouldn't need to use another lockpick to hotwire. and the hotwire shouldn't fail. The mini-game has failed on me multiple times despite taking my time and trying to time it. And when the HOTWIRE fails, it takes WAY too long to start it up again. 

The RISK is way higher than the reward of driving a free car and then to chop it for LITERAL scraps. (Small amounts of raw material that sells for next to nothing, the small amount of money you get for possible jail time since Cops really don't like to work with anyone or rarely give fun or engaging RP. ) 

Unfortunately a lot of crime currently available has the risk vs reward at like a 3:1 ratio. But that will be for another time. 

The lockpicking is a nice touch, but still needs some fine tuning as it feels if you miss even ONE mark, it fails. Hotwiring should be automatic as the animation ALREADY starts when you successfully pick, open the door, and hear the noises. It shouldn't take longer than that. 

You're already standing there PREPARING TOOLS, 10-15 seconds. Then the mini-game. Then 15-30 seconds for the hotwire. That is assuming everything works first try. It can't be abused and with hotwiring gone/not requiring a lock pick would make the mini-game's relevance a lot better. 

The way lockpicks work now is way better, but it's still based on luck, since even if you do hit the marks it doesn't mean you'll get the car unlocked. Seems like the only change that was actually made was the visual side of the thing, although it's a lot more fun and interactive now. Hotwiring takes a long time as well, is there a way to add a minigame to that? 

While yes it is true you wouldnt need to lockpick a motorcycle to sit on it there are other locking mechanism that bike owners can put on their bikes as a means of Security. Just think of the lock picking portion of obtaining a motorcycle as removal of a disc break lock, or an ignition lock, or a throttle lock.  Los Santos motorcycle owners are just really pro motorcycle theft security! :)

• Like 1