Allow jailtime to decrease while offline.

paska

I know this has been talked about and brought up before but I feel its worth bringing up again. As it stands, jailtime isn't a character punishment its a player punishment. I know the DOC is being setup and sometimes a thing but at the times I've played and been to jail I have never seen a DOC. So I have to stand there for the time and do absolutely nothing. I would like to get on a different character but I cant because if I do I still have a timeout that I have to serve whenever I would choose to play that character again. My RP becomes log on to sit in jail and afk so that I can RP again.

Personally, I don't see why even with DOC our time won't go down offline. Let people choose. If there was DOC, I would happily stay at least for a little while and RP with them if not the entire sentence.

While we are on the topic of jail, can we get a store there with phones to get for free/cheap since they are taking our phones now? I would rather call either a taxi or somebody I know for a ride instead of riding a bicycle all the way down 68 to get a car.

As a junior member of the DOC, I can tell you that getting correctional officers trained -- including myself -- is a slow but ongoing process. The department is still in its infancy and is slowly yet surely getting on its feet. You can expect to see correctional officers around Bolingbroke more consistently in the future. The notion that prison sentences are an OOC punishment and not an IC one is a mentality that the DOC is here to try to phase out. We want to RP with you, too, there's just backend stuff that's being taken care of by the senior DOC team and the development team alike.

I'm against seeing sentences tick down while completely offline. Being able to commit a grand heist, get sent for the maximum, then log out and play another game for an hour before going back to do it all again sounds like an unhealthy mentality I wouldn't want to see promoted. If anything, I could see sentences ticking down while playing another character, because you're still showing some presence in the city and willingness to continue to provide roleplay to others.

• Like 3

I'm all about DOC. The best time I had in jail was on John and Spartan was on his DOC. I did what he told me, I got rec time. I even got caught smoking weed in the bathroom. I am all about prison RP. Had I not perma'd John, he was going to end up in jail for life.

I do agree that just going to play another game is a bit of a cop out if time were to go down offline. I would fully support the time going down while online on another character though.

Currently we'd have to face the reality ; Players are forced to wait 30+ minutes ( on the regular )  because they provided RP to police, 30+ of those 'jail time' minutes will be the player staring at a wall most likely tabbed out counting minutes.

Having DOC would be wonderful, but i don't see why players wouldn't be allowed to log out and still have their time tick down, their CHARACTERS are STILL in jail serving their sentence for that duration. The player shouldn't be punished, the character should ( and is. )

More often than not people log on the server the next day JUST to have their jail sentence be over, and then log off again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zelda said:

Currently we'd have to face the reality ; Players are forced to wait 30+ minutes ( on the regular )  because they provided RP to police, 30+ of those 'jail time' minutes will be the player staring at a wall most likely tabbed out counting minutes.

Having DOC would be wonderful, but i don't see why players wouldn't be allowed to log out and still have their time tick down, their CHARACTERS are STILL in jail serving their sentence for that duration. The player shouldn't be punished, the character should ( and is. )

More often than not people log on the server the next day JUST to have their jail sentence be over, and then log off again.

This is exactly the mentality the DOC is being introduced to quash and replace with the idea that the incarceration period is an alternative roleplay experience, not the deprivation of one. Like it or not, the player and the character cannot be 100% disconnected and while the character might still be serving time, being able to log out for it robs that character, and in turn the player, of any sort of character development that might have happened were they interacting with the DOC and their fellow inmates.

16 minutes ago, buttpounder420 said:

I can agree with this but only if jail times are increased.

I don't think increasing sentence lengths would solve anything. The current sentence lengths are simultaneously not too short as to reduce the quality of in-prison roleplay and not too long as to make the prisoner wait unreasonable amounts of time before getting back on their feet and stirring up trouble (or, you know, developing as a character and learning from their mistakes) for the populace of San Andreas.

• Like 1

The problem is, as it stands there isn't any DOC really nor are there ever prisoners. Right now its an RP timeout which is why I suggested the change. I understand that DOC is being built but at the same time the same was said 4 months ago. 

Right now it is the current roleplay experience with near zero alternative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paska said:

The problem is, as it stands there isn't any DOC really nor are there ever prisoners. Right now its an RP timeout which is why I suggested the change. I understand that DOC is being built but at the same time the same was said 4 months ago. 

Right now it is the current roleplay experience with near zero alternative. 

I, personally, intend to do everything I can to ensure that this no longer remains the norm. I wasn't around four months ago, nor do I know all that the senior DOC team has on their radar, but I don't see logging out through prison sentences being a solution to anything; instead a band-aid fix that leads to a no-consequences mentality I don't personally want to see encouraged in the community.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Storrent said:

I, personally, intend to do everything I can to ensure that this no longer remains the norm. I wasn't around four months ago, nor do I know all that the senior DOC team has on their radar, but I don't see logging out through prison sentences being a solution to anything; instead a band-aid fix that leads to a no-consequences mentality I don't personally want to see encouraged in the community.

Its not a no consequences mentality. There is literally a consequence called jailtime. That character is no longer available for RP. A lot of people play 1 character which is fine but that jailtime right now takes them out of the game for the time they were sentenced. Even having another character to swap to doesn't alleviate the issue at all. All it does is postpone your AFK time. I understand you want to do this and that but fact of the matter is right now its not there and has not been for a while.

I would be 100% for offline time to count, however it should not be equivalent time. It should be something like 1 minute online = 5 minutes offline. That way if people want to continue playing that character soon, they will stay and DoC will have a reason to be on. Or if you don't plan on playing that character again tonight, just play a different character and you wont have to sit there waiting the full time the next day when you hop back on.

• Like 6

I see both sides honestly. But if the powers that be have to use time for making DOC better or making a band aid fix that would become pointless later why waste the effort and just focus on the main issue at making DOC better for better roleplay in the prison. Its a new faction and I say just deal with the prison times for now and see how we can help the DOC grow quicker.

One idea I would like to see. Is the LSPD requirement be lifted. Let people that don't want to be a cop but just a correctional officer do that. I don't want to be a cop but would love to help out the DOC. I really don't want anything to do with the LSPD anymore. But am gimped from helping a growing faction due to this restriction. 

Devils advocate here - If a criminal gets caught... Its up to 45 mins doing nothing. If a cop gets shot... They're right back on the street. So it don't effect them from their side that much. Minus a timeout for paper work. So it does sometimes suck catching the 45 for giving a cop RP. 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, paska said:

While we are on the topic of jail, can we get a store there with phones to get for free/cheap since they are taking our phones now? I would rather call either a taxi or somebody I know for a ride instead of riding a bicycle all the way down 68 to get a car.

Also this... Even just letting us use a payphone to call a cab or something. Cuz that bike ride feels like punishment for no reason other than to embarrass you for being a criminal. 

• Like 1

With the suggestion of doing offline time , or switching characters , you have no skin in the game . Making a chase or doing crime have no real consequences. Wen im playing my crim and make that decision to run , it makes it way more exciting and rewarding if i do get away. If i get caught welp , it is what it is . Also need to look at pd's side of things. I get that most ppl who do play diff characters actualy play a whole diff person. But for those who dont and would just actualy cycle threw characters just to keep gaming. I can see that getting old real fast with officers after having to spend 30 to 45 mins in pross and paperwork just to watch the same guy run 10 red lights :(

• Like 3

I am personally fine with having prison time count while offline; but only if the time is increased and offline sentences tick down slower. I understand the point that Kilo is making but I don't think that with 2.0, we should constantly be penalising those who do great RP and bring the server to life because of some people with wrong intentions.

10 hours ago, Kota Taylor said:

One idea I would like to see. Is the LSPD requirement be lifted. Let people that don't want to be a cop but just a correctional officer do that. I don't want to be a cop but would love to help out the DOC. I really don't want anything to do with the LSPD anymore. But am gimped from helping a growing faction due to this restriction. 

I agree with this 100% and very much would like DoC to become independent from the LSPD, we have different expectations and different skills are required; it would also open up prison RP to a much wider audience. There are some changes that I am looking to have made to the prison and this topic is one I am very willing to have the discussion about. The main issue is on the back end, LSPD has been a base faction since the server was first created and has all of the mechanical backing and time attributed to it, whereas DoC is THE newest faction and has a fraction of the mechanical capabilities. An example of this being early release, the system is the LSPD send to prison function, but it just releases you instantly. There are some issues with this; mainly how there is no way to track who is releasing someone early and how early they are releasing said prisoner. I think this is an obvious problem of random people joining DoC JUST so they can boost their friends out asap and it being untraceable at this time.

The reason I am saying this is because I agree that its heavily restricting the growth of the faction, which in turn is affecting players who commit crimes. I know first hand how much prison time sucks as I regularly play criminal characters and its something I would love to hear more suggestions on what we can do to help improve in this aspect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't like a no-consequence situation for crims to just do whatever they want. The RP isn't always positive, not just for PD but others too. 

I think this "give cops RP" is overblown. A LOT of crims don't give them any RP actually. I don't want to get into it too much but I think the mentality of "providing content" or whatever is also thrown around too often as a good thing. Bad content is thrown around a lot which can do more harm than good and is also highly repetitive. Not everyone is that creative and put themselves in "win only" situations against the cops until the cops finally catch them after a few hours. 

Not sure how to solve it either because I don't know how to differentiate between the two to make sure the good RP is rewarded because that is going to be in the eyes of each individual. 

100% wish the DOC was open to others outside LSPD for the simple reason that the interactions are already between the PD/Crim, so why duplicate that in prison with the same people depending on who is playing who? For me it is attractive because I think crim/PD are the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum that I don't particularly have the RP skill to do. I think as a CO there is much more "provide content/interactions" with inmates/crims over be the reason they are in that situation which is a nice middle ground. 

• Like 1

I am actually a fan of this idea. There shouldn't be time based consequences for wanting to RP. I think some people may have the wrong idea that you need to be punished for doing crime, where as the time and fines you get are a simple role-play factor and not anything that should be taken to heart or cause harm to the experience of your playthrough. 

I will bring this up with the staff team and get a decision for this. Implementation may be a bit annoying because it's harder to modify offline characters so it won't be instantly released if it's decided. 

I think an evens solution would be to allow prison time to count offline if these factors are met

1. There are no active correctional officers on duty
  2. You are online on another character
  • Like 3

it could work for sure but im talking some serious time increases. Like murder, attempted murder, agg assault etc could no longer be down played charges. Honestly i think you make a vote and leave it up to players. Just me i would be thinking murder would result in like 100 months at least. I dont even think 24 hours would be out of question as long as you could play another character. I guess you then run into a ppl problem though because some people just make "cousins" lol that are the same thing and do the same shit. Perhaps people cant handle this much freedom lol. Tough call

Edited by buttpounder420

I totally agree that DOC should be open to more than just LSPD (I also think that crime scene investigators, coroners and forensic scientists should be a thing independent of LSPD, but that's neither here nor there at the mo).

I think that if more activity were introduced for imprisoned crims, it'd help with the time being served - add things maybe like card games, gambling, prison jobs, working payphones, once there's a working mail system add the ability to write letters/send postcards from jail or something, add computers that would allow limited time access to texting/emailing friends in exchange for a few commissary bucks, have an RP yoga instructor/teacher of some sort come in and "teach a class" on something once a week, offer RP counselor sessions, run prison-based events like an inmate writing or poetry contest, maybe allow the ability to bail or bond out of prison early (with the aid of an attorney), etc. I'd totally be more willing to spend time in prison if I knew I could just go play cards or earn some extra money for an hour.

Part of it I think is just the lack of things to do in prison. Adding some would probably help pass the time more easily. 

Edited by Ronan

On 12/18/2020 at 10:09 PM, Kota Taylor said:

That would allow me to do it, But not exactly the point I was making cuz still restrictive to those not wanting to be a full blown PO. 

No no, I mean, maybe Retired PD should be eligible to join DOC, without having to join PD. 

• Like 1

Oh I just re-read. Facts. Maybe with the DOC being a separate faction, they should have there own training, etc. Its not like you need to know everything PD Related, or SOP wise to be apart of the DOC, because you need to learn DOC SOP's when it comes to Prison Rules etc, Transport, Court, etc. So maybe that should be considered. 

• Like 3

I see a lot of people making good points with either Longer sentences or offline counts. If we just let people log off and offline counts, then we have people that are just getting off of the server for extended periods of time instead of coming back. If we make prison sentences longer, than prison jobs could help lower those times as well. If you throw a punch or get into a prison fight then you sentence gets longer. It would be more of a balancing act. But if it doesn't count offline and we add jobs, why would we do that? Taking a 45 min prison sentence and then adding prison jobs its taking 45 mins and knocking it down to say 20 minutes is kind of defeating that purpose as well. By the time the officer is done with their reports that person is back out on the street doing the same things. I would like to see longer times for people that break the law numerous times in a day. I have seen some records where people are doing the same thing 4 to 6 times a day. That gets old when its the same cop busting the same guys again. If that's ok for them, then I don't see why Cops cant get shot and go back to work. I am in favor of both sides really. Just need to find that happy medium is all