Nerf Repair Kits

Paul Bell

Now hear me out, we can use repair kits just about every time we wreck and disable our vehicles with little consequence other than its annoying to have to buy and store repair kits. 

What if we set a max amount of damage your car is allowed to take until your car is no longer repairable by a repair kit? Say if your car reaches a health state of about 45% you cannot use a kit and pretty much HAVE to call a tow truck to help you. This way, players are forced to actually care about their driving a little bit more or at the very least get used to utilizing our amazing tow truckers out here putting in work.

• Like 2

I like the suggestion and it can further provide RP Interaction; my issue with this would be a PD/EMS Issue as, if there is no tows available and you're vehicle is messed up via a chase or going to a person down call, then you can be stuck in some weird places. Then you sit there for a bit and calls come and you won't people to help those individuals whom need it, I've had my vehicle at times go proof whilst on EMS and or PD duty with no taxi's or tows available and have had to walk 15-20 minutes to get a new vehicle. If there is a way to counter-act that and give us the ability to use a repair kit when no tows are around to provide help then I'm 100% down and this is a great suggestion to provide more interactions for the individuals whom do towing.

Edited by Rylan Amos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rylan Amos said:

I like the suggestion and it can further provide RP Interaction; my issue with this would be a PD/EMS Issue as, if there is no tows available and you're vehicle is messed up via a chase or going to a person down call, then you can be stuck in some weird places. Then you sit there for a bit and calls come and you won't people to help those individuals whom need it, I've had my vehicle at times go proof whilst on EMS and or PD duty with no taxi's or tows available and have had to walk 15-20 minutes to get a new vehicle. If there is a way to counter-act that and give us the ability to use a repair kit when no tows are around to provide help then I'm 100% down and this is a great suggestion to provide more interactions for the individuals whom do towing.

Perhaps an emergency services specific mechanic that allows clocked in EMS/PD to still use theirs to more extreme degrees. Not to mention you can only imagine how making this change would increase the population of tow truckers too with the growing need for them. Calling one shouldn't be as much a problem if implemented in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I support a repair kit nerf as well. Although, motorcycles seem to act funny sometimes. I can slam into a car going full speed, and my bike will be functional, but every time I tap a traffic cone, my bike will break down. When I repair it and get it to a mechanic, they say it is so damaged that it is near blowing up. 
So as long as some of these edge cases can be ironed out, I could see this leading to more realistic situations!

From what I've seen they already are, they don't fully repair the engine iirc, for example, i total my car, repair it, and i dont get the same acceleration and top speed that i used to have and need to go to a mechanic to get it fully patched up. Bare in mind repair kits dont fix the body either so if it's heavily damaged handling etc will be affected too.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a 20% chance that the vehicle will die again, with or without crashing. If it dies a second time, a tow is required (depending if a tow truck driver is clocked in, otherwise allow another repair).

At least then you nerf the repair kits enough and have a chance of your bodged repair isn't going to last, but also gives you the chance to get it to a mechanic shop at least.

From what I've noticed, even if you repair your bike, it runs like crap. For example - My Sanctus can easily do 140mph within half a minute or so. When I've smashed and repair it, it maxes out at 100mph and takes a long time to get up to those speeds.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, Paul Bell said:

Perhaps an emergency services specific mechanic that allows clocked in EMS/PD to still use theirs to more extreme degrees. Not to mention you can only imagine how making this change would increase the population of tow truckers too with the growing need for them. Calling one shouldn't be as much a problem if implemented in my opinion. 

I like the general idea of making the repair kits limited to what damage they can fix but it needs to be done to everybody. Making it that PD/EMS is not affected will get exploited real fast and will get out of balance very quickly but over all I think its a very nice idea. +1

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ZaxxYs said:

I like the general idea of making the repair kits limited to what damage they can fix but it needs to be done to everybody. Making it that PD/EMS is not affected will get exploited real fast and will get out of balance very quickly but over all I think its a very nice idea. +1

Super agree, I'd like to recant my emergency exclusion idea. Don't drive horrible and you won't be affected right!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, - Sledge - said:

I don't see that there are nearly enough active tow truck drivers to make this reasonable. We would end up seeing more abandoned vehicles throughout the streets of the city. 

Which could make more recovery rp for some of us tow truckers. Part of why not many tow trucks are active, honestly is due to lack of calls. There are times where I sit for hours and not receive a single call. It's kinda a two way street. Don't get me wrong, I love playing as a tow driver, but there needs to be a way to make tow trucks more relevant, while providing a backup for when tow drivers aren't available. 

+1 definitely helps tow truck interaction and other mechanic interaction. One thing that will be an issue is that many times a tow truck driver is needed, one isn't available. On the other hand, more tow truck drivers may come available since there will actually be more cars to deal with and interact with.

+1 when it comes to cars, -1 when it comes to motorcycles. The fact I can hit something with my motorcycle at like 10mph, like a breakable sign, and my motorcycle gets totalled when it had no damage before, I feel like repair kits give me enough time to get to a mechanics and I would be calling for a tow truck a looooot because of the BS that is motorcycle damage. For cars though I think it's totally reasonable and support it so we can get towing services more action!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eternalangelgames said:

+1 when it comes to cars, -1 when it comes to motorcycles. The fact I can hit something with my motorcycle at like 10mph, like a breakable sign, and my motorcycle gets totalled when it had no damage before, I feel like repair kits give me enough time to get to a mechanics and I would be calling for a tow truck a looooot because of the BS that is motorcycle damage. For cars though I think it's totally reasonable and support it so we can get towing services more action!

Yeah I feel this as well. My manchez will hit a divot and total out :/ Other than that, I'm down with that!

I guess my perspective is skewed since I'm on a motorcycle most of the time. I'd be calling a tow truck a few times every session if there were no repair kits. Obviously I could slow down and avoid a lot of the accidents, and there's something to be said for making people care more about their vehicles. I understand the desire for increased rp scenarios for mechanics and tow truck drivers but not at the cost of actually being able to enjoy the game.  You're going to have a number of players who don't want to wait for a tow truck to continue on with what they're doing and they'll just abandon their vehicle and go grab another one out of the garage. There are many times already where by the time the storm comes the city is littered with abandoned vehicles. That's my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

• Like 1