Removing all Labels

Razec

Absolutely! Let's say a cop pulls up to you and questions you about the possession of 1 Safe Cracking Kit. How would I know what a Safe Cracking Kit is? I mean, yes, I have seen many along the way, but RP wise, none look the same. For me, personally, it doesn't matter, I think of it whatever I want, but some people can't get past that one barrier of "it is what it says it is". You know what I mean? 

3 hours ago, nescria said:

im having a hard time picturing what you mean by labels and how they dictate where rp goes, can you give an example?

Edited by Razec

I completely follow you now, I was not picturing literally every single item without labels. i honestly feel that would make everything logistically a nightmare. its already hard enough keeping all my storage vans organized to a degree, without words it would be even more tedious.  I think looking in your own pocket having labels is good. but when robbing/searching anothers pockets no labels would be the best method of incorporating this.

• Like 1

It would be a nice feature to have multiple items be combined to form an item. For example: A drill, lockpick and stethoscope can all be used in combination to make a safe cracking kit. Each item individually has their own purpose but when used together allow you to access something completely different. For example a drill can be used for any kind of repair so if searched would not be suspicious, same goes for a stethoscope. Now a lockpick obviously has illegal aspects to it but without the lockpick neither the drill or stethoscope can be used illegally. 

This would allow you to carry different equipment on multiple members of your crew until you get to the job site in case someone gets in a pinch before hand. Just a thought that came to mind when I read the OP.

• Like 2

Ford hit it on the head with the idea.

Now here is the issue, whilst labels may dictate RP. It is up for you to provide depth to the item at hand; sure it has a label but if you look at the item from a IC point of view, you wouldn't know untill you investigate it. 

OOC you know what it is, but within character it is your sole responsibility to help make a RP Avenue with that individual to mold it into a scene.

Use what you have in your disposal, and then you can do a lot with creativity and innovation per say. This is RP After All.

You can't use up creativity, creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, making mistakes and having fun.
With creativity, it helps to experiment in breaking out of the same established patterns people do, in order to
look at things in a different way. I bet that you can make a lot of RP out of doing so, just think of Ideas on how you can spice it up.

I'm personally against it, just for the sole reason of training from a cop point of view, a lot of people I've seen come into rp; jump for that LEO aspect. With that being stated the FTOS that train them, can teach them the rights and wrongs and help them mold into their custom rp style. they can then use this rp custom and male a criminal character out of it.

from a criminal perspective and PD perspective, it lands on both individuals to mold said item into a rp scene. Without labels, how are you going to introduce that RP; if it's a basic stop or you don't see them physical using a emote to portray such item.

There are multiple ways of introducing that RP. 

Here's one:

Just like investigation type games where you investigate a item further, it tells you what a item might be able to do. 

So a way of implementing this feature would be adding a feature, such as button named "Investigate". After pressing that button, it'll tell you (just like when you're eating some food when something pops up in the upper right corner of your screen telling you that you're eating that specific food) "You have noticed this tool might be used to crack safes" or something of the sort. 

It might help bring the question "What are you doing with this item?" Instead of the most common one "Why do you have a safe cracking kit?" 

But yes, you could do the same thing with the labeled items, but not everyone does. Just a select few. There a lot of things COP based that we have to take into consideration here. 

We should always pose the question, "To what extent the mechanics should dictate where RP goes?". And personally, I don't think that's for us to decide. It comes down to how it was supposed to be portrayed in the first place. 

6 hours ago, Rylan Amos said:

Ford hit it on the head with the idea.

Now here is the issue, whilst labels may dictate RP. It is up for you to provide depth to the item at hand; sure it has a label but if you look at the item from a IC point of view, you wouldn't know untill you investigate it. 

OOC you know what it is, but within character it is your sole responsibility to help make a RP Avenue with that individual to mold it into a scene.

Use what you have in your disposal, and then you can do a lot with creativity and innovation per say. This is RP After All.

You can't use up creativity, creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, making mistakes and having fun.
With creativity, it helps to experiment in breaking out of the same established patterns people do, in order to
look at things in a different way. I bet that you can make a lot of RP out of doing so, just think of Ideas on how you can spice it up.

I'm personally against it, just for the sole reason of training from a cop point of view, a lot of people I've seen come into rp; jump for that LEO aspect. With that being stated the FTOS that train them, can teach them the rights and wrongs and help them mold into their custom rp style. they can then use this rp custom and male a criminal character out of it.

from a criminal perspective and PD perspective, it lands on both individuals to mold said item into a rp scene. Without labels, how are you going to introduce that RP; if it's a basic stop or you don't see them physical using a emote to portray such item.

Whilst i do see your point for extra generated RP from not having labels on items, You should also consider that not everyone sees color or objects the same way and having the labels there, helps some people to interact better when they can read the label for the item. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

there are a few different types of joints. some with the same icon and some that are similar. there was considerable periods of time where icons where not available for some items in our pockets and the text was the only way to know what was what. Currently the text for medical joints and serpickle joints is the only way to tell them apart and the text counts as the physical prescription to show the police. the text has benefits and draw backs to roleplay. 

• 1 month later...

I think this idea is mostly surrounding crims, especially when they get caught by PD and have to explain certain things they have. In all honestly, I'd wish people would be more open minded when they catch crims with certain items like hack phones and hack laptops. You wouldn't know what type of item it is nor is it used for IRL if you didn't investigate it. Right now, PD can and has said they "are trained to know what to look for" but in reality they are just reading the labels. Same thing with lockpicks. I'm not saying it should be forced to not read labels / get rid of them, but I'd say it be more interesting in the server for Cops to be open minded as people who play Crim almost all the time know there's already so much to lose. Also, certain items like switch blades or bullets, and even drugs wouldn't fall under this category as its quite obvious what those things are. Im sure there are other situations where labels may be ruin the scenario because the person already knows what it is. 

On 7/9/2021 at 1:55 PM, DJ Ramirez said:

I think this idea is mostly surrounding crims, especially when they get caught by PD and have to explain certain things they have. In all honestly, I'd wish people would be more open minded when they catch crims with certain items like hack phones and hack laptops. You wouldn't know what type of item it is nor is it used for IRL if you didn't investigate it. Right now, PD can and has said they "are trained to know what to look for" but in reality they are just reading the labels. Same thing with lockpicks. I'm not saying it should be forced to not read labels / get rid of them, but I'd say it be more interesting in the server for Cops to be open minded as people who play Crim almost all the time know there's already so much to lose. Also, certain items like switch blades or bullets, and even drugs wouldn't fall under this category as its quite obvious what those things are. Im sure there are other situations where labels may be ruin the scenario because the person already knows what it is. 

I as a detective have found that when doing pd work, labels are what are needed but not at the same time.

It's good to Express a open mind, but not to just cut off RP. Like when I found out about LSD. 

I spent weeks researching only to be told as I walked into pd after 20 seconds that this is LSD. 

Realistically when handling a substance without out a tag, for us to figure out what it is and remove labels we should get drug test kits and test the items.

Same thing goes for hacking devices sure it's used, but where did they yet the program and stuff from? PD sometimes fails to see the bigger picture that could happen due to labels.

Maybe a way where if a item doesn't have a label but is used in a crime or etc, we have the ability to give it a label after researching it.