suggestions for QoL & immersion

luna

so, i know i haven't played for a long time and therefore haven't experienced all the new aspects of the city (whether legal/criminal), the server has definitely come a long way and options available that help RP/content/UI wise is better than it has ever been, but here are a few things i've come across that i think could help improve things, minimally but, further

- adjust it so that putting your hands up or pulling your phone out while driving means you cannot steer your vehicle in the meantime (at all for hands up and more difficult for while you're on your phone), something small and realistic like this can help cement the notion that poor driving/attention to the road can cause accidents (opens up more instances in which someone would need to call for a tow-truck/taxi)

- be able to change general cosmetic things such as hairstyles, makeup or facial hair etc at your apartment/home/hotel in front of the mirror (excluding dyeing of hair/facial hair, not because people cannot dye their own hair at home, but to prevent such immediate changes to your character's appearance and keep the salon relevant), this would also help for when you go into your apartment to change clothes quick but don't want to drive to a salon just to change your hairstyle

- be able to toggle shoes on/off like other articles of clothing (useful for small things like being at the beach/pool, showing LSFD where an injury is)

- a medical storage bag to reduce the time spent transferring items from inventory/vehicle and back again for when you want space after clocked off. i'm unsure if BCSO/LSPD have a similar issue, but if so, maybe a "locker" they can use that would allow an automatic transfer of all relevant items/equipment purchased for the job

- (this one is likely to be suggested to factions directly but:) there should be accepted hairstyles while on duty for LSPD/LSFD/BCSO/DOC, it's a bit immersion breaking (mainly for the female hairstyles) to see hair being worn in a way that IRL would be considered unsafe/unprofessional

- bank statements (being able to see a history of deposits and withdrawals from your account)

i know a few of these are pushing towards more serious RP/realistic RP, but hopefully those suggestions are not seen as wanting to hinder possibility but rather to help immerse.

i'd also love to hear any QoL suggestions from people who have actually been in the server for the past year!  ??

edit: did not know we could already take our shoes off! :]

Edited by luna
  • Like 3

All great suggestions and ideas for sure. 

I know with how there is more LEO immersion coming into play, appropriate/professional hairstyles and colors is something I am all for while on duty. Also I am almost certain you can remove your shoes through '/shoes 0' at the moment. Just not sure if it is in the radial menu.

+1 all round here 

• Like 2

I mean the only thing I see with all of these suggestions is the steering with the phone out / hands up part. In real life, its bad to use your phone while driving, but I think its safe to say all the drivers out there including myself have been a victim to using their phone while driving. This would include using it while in the middle of traffic. It doesn't make sense from a realistic RP standpoint for you not to be able  to steer while having your phone out, otherwise us  in real life would just crash. It's not what happens unless you're a faulty driver and make a big mistake. For the hands up part, I think that's a better idea for not being able to steer, as the steering wheel is how you turn a car in most cases, unless you're Vin Diesel. All the other suggestions I like, especially EMS being able to toggle off clothing articles on ones body.

• Like 1

Yeah, all of these, please.

Especially grooming standards for public services. No offense to anybody who decides to look like a clown before clocking on, but it doesn't paint the departments in a positive light to new players. I think a little bit of freedom can be sacrificed to make the factions less like preschool classrooms playing the cops in cops and robbers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luna said:

- (this one is likely to be suggested to factions directly but:) there should be accepted hairstyles while on duty for LSPD/LSFD/BCSO/DOC, it's a bit immersion breaking (mainly for the female hairstyles) to see hair being worn in a way that IRL would be considered unsafe/unprofessional

-1 In a game where a lot of people look similar and hair being the one way for those who work for the government to have any semblance of self expression I don't think this should be implemented. I understand wanting things to be more realistic but this is still a game where people are trying to have fun. This might be going to far IMO.

+1 For everything else.

• Like 2

+1

For everything except the hair changes. I agree that government factions should have regulations for appearance, but they already do. I don't think that restricting hairstyles or colors should be implemented, as that is a large part of identity and most people, especially female characters, have defining hairstyles/hair colors that make them unique and recognizable. 

1 hour ago, DJ Ramirez said:

It doesn't make sense from a realistic RP standpoint for you not to be able  to steer while having your phone out

sorry for the confusion with this one, i didn't suggest you lose all control with your phone out, only with your hands up. with your phone out i suggested that steering become more difficult.

34 minutes ago, Sadie Heart said:

hair being the one way for those who work for the government to have any semblance of self expression

i'm unsure if things have changed now, but back when i was senior LSFD we allowed players certain articles of clothing/exceptions to the rules if it fit with their characters roleplay, 

23 minutes ago, Hylia said:

I don't think that restricting hairstyles or colors should be implemented, as that is a large part of identity and most people, especially female characters, have defining hairstyles/hair colors that make them unique and recognizable. 

for the hair, i didn't suggest the colours to be regulated, but hairstyles yes, i believe there are a huge variety of ways people can be unique with their characters rather than basing that off of what your hair looks like. with the new cosmetics already added into the game, there are plenty of tied back/up hairstyles that look nice and are still appropriate for being in a shootout/medical scene in which case roleplay wise doesn't make quite a lot of sense, and that is what the server is for at the end of the day, just have to find that balance between having fun and not taking away from other peoples experience

How often are people just driving around with their hands up? Having something in one hand doesn’t affect my ability to steer my vehicle IRL why should it In a game?

I could fully see being able to make certain hairstyle adjustments within the apartments, but how do we find away to make sure I could a realistic change based off the hair currently in the char? Makeup changes should 100% be available to do inside a home.

You can already remove shoes and put them back on.

Not sure about EMS, but LEOs do have a storage locker within the armory to store personal items during a shift and work related items when needed, if EMS doesn’t have this they should.

IDK about EMS policy but in general PD doesn’t allow the few super goofy hairstyles although I’ve never seen anyone even try to use them in either faction. And I see no reason to limit color. 

Bank statements would be nice.

Edited by Richie Jax

Here is a few more QOL adjustments.

Being able to select a ped model at character creation. Instead of running to a barber. 

Businesses showing who is whitelisted for what roles under role management.  Along with having a transaction log of who took what out money wise. For said business. 

I like the idea above of storage bags. That can be dropped with a limited amount of space in them. That you can toss on the ground or in a trunk. Vs just drop. You can pick it all up at once or just go through said bag and leave it on the ground. 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Richie Jax said:

I could fully see being able to make certain hairstyle adjustments within the apartments, but how do we find away to make sure I could a realistic change based off the hair currently in the char?

anyone can already walk into a salon and change their hair to whatever they want with no hinderance of it being a "realistic" change of hair, this is just a QoL feature to be able to style your hair within your own home

4 hours ago, Richie Jax said:

IDK about EMS policy but in general PD doesn’t allow the few super goofy hairstyles although I’ve never seen anyone even try to use them in either faction. And I see no reason to limit color. 

yeah, my suggestion isn't just for the 'goofy' hairstyles though, i meant anything that would be impractical in those lines of work. even when my hair is in a ponytail it constantly gets in my way, so my concern is for styles that are already less practical than that being a norm in factions, it just looks unprofessional/unsafe. also i never mentioned colour, i don't see that as unrealistic

• Like 1

At the end of the day this is a game, there should be room for people to have fun with it as long as it’s not too over the top, we’re here to pretend to be cops, ems, etc. not to be real ones. There should be room for people to be a little over the top if they’d like. 

for sure, i don't disagree that people should have fun, these are suggestions that i'm acknowledging are leaning towards more realistic RP which not everyone is comfortable with. departments to my knowledge are still open to granting exceptions/additions to uniforms for roleplay reasons (zoltan anyone?).

my suggestion is purely personal taste for what can enrich immersion for seemingly not just myself but others also. of course there's going to be the opposite end of the stick too, all just personal preferences ??‍♀️

20 hours ago, Hylia said:

+1

For everything except the hair changes. I agree that government factions should have regulations for appearance, but they already do. I don't think that restricting hairstyles or colors should be implemented, as that is a large part of identity and most people, especially female characters, have defining hairstyles/hair colors that make them unique and recognizable. 

20 hours ago, Sadie Heart said:

-1 In a game where a lot of people look similar and hair being the one way for those who work for the government to have any semblance of self expression I don't think this should be implemented. I understand wanting things to be more realistic but this is still a game where people are trying to have fun. This might be going to far IMO.

+1 For everything else.

Do agree, I always disliked being the same as everyone else.

I would want myself to be distinguished, incase if a issue or just general rp.

With that being stated, this brings the rp immersion and is helpful. Appearance will always be a issue and how said person does a character. At the end of the day it is up to you the person;

That decides what will happen with said character, you can still be immersive and storytelling with Blue hair and etc. 

I think of having different hair colors in pd as supporting certain things, like Bella I think of it as supporting cancer awareness to show the LS citizens to be safer.

I like it all, aside from having a harder time driving because I'm drinking a monster while driving. The whole reason of being against the law to use your phone with your hands (its legal to use hands free) is because it takes away your attention from the road which is all it takes for a child's ball to roll in front of your vehicle, or a deer to jump out. However it doesn't make it "harder" to drive. I mean I drive while eating and drinking a monster and smoking a cig while shifting gears. No way using a phone in an automatic is harder. But just like looking at my sandwich I'm bout to bit into, takes my eyes off the road, just like a phone does.

• Like 1