Immersion Rule

Would like to see a rule regarding background noises that just aren't needed in RP scenes that break immersion: Hearing a TV, and other things as-well.

It's a really big nuisance and disruptive at points, when all you hear is a TV for example when RP'ing with people.

Personally I don't mind having a TV on in the background, as long as you minimize the noise/turn off the volume I have no issue that or you put a gate on your microphone so it won't pick it up.

Edited by Nikki Delores
  • Like 2

I agree, but this isn't an option for everyone. Some people don't have the budget and have to work with what they have. 

I agree it's annoying, especially as a cop when someone barks at me over the radio, but sometimes you just have to pretend you don't hear certain stuff. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lion_Luke said:

I agree, but this isn't an option for everyone. Some people don't have the budget and have to work with what they have. 

I agree it's annoying, especially as a cop when someone barks at me over the radio, but sometimes you just have to pretend you don't hear certain stuff. 

Barking isn't bad, and nor is everything bad but it's just when it's a constant noise being heard it becomes a issue.

Also thanks Coach didn't know that was a thing till now.

• Like 1

I used to live in a studio appartment with my now wife. Her watching tv was almost always happening. I dont think there could be a rule for that. We dont know peoples living situations and it may not be possible. Making a rule like that could gatekeep some really good people from joining, because they are afraid of the background noise at their house

Thats just my 2 cents

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richie Jax said:

As someone with children and animals and an entire house filled with family I don’t agree with a rule against background noise, sometimes there’s gonna be noise in the background, it happens.

This I agree with, shouldn't force someone to do so as everyone may have a different situation. The push to talk is all ready there + there are echo reduction settings on TeamSpeak which do help. NVIDIA Broadcast requires one to have a minimum graphics card, so people like me with a below 1k series don't have the option for that. Everyone is different, and I just feel its weird to force someone to do something IRL for the benefit of in game as long as its not obnoxious, or anything along those lines.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence with this one. I agree it can immersion breaking, but there's a lot that people won't have control over.

For example, I've asked my roommate not to make as much noise and have received the dirtiest looks in response, he's mindful when I'm trying to train for EMS, but sometimes it's unavoidable in a shared living space. I can understand asking for someone to lower their environment noise if they are the ones making it, but families and pets are just going to keep on being families and pets.

I have the ability to be mindful of what's going on in my household, but sometimes the only resolution for that is not to play, or fly out.

Edited by Yama
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Richie Jax said:

Do you have children? Are you a single parent? Background noise is gonna happen. 

nobody said shit about kids or being a single parent... it was directed about TV noise ... i for 1 don't like talking to someone in game while being able to hear word for word what their tv is saying in the background... so like i said before a simple google search will give many ways to fix issues of background noise coming into their mics .. and they are FREE so 

-1 to this. If there is constant loud yelling and disruptive noise that is overwhelming to the point where it is ruining RP, that should be punished as that to me is the same as someone who is distorting their mic and causing audible disturbances.

But it should be more of a case of them being taken aside, spoken to by support staff to go through settings and try to make it more manageable, and if nothing can be done and it's extremely disruptive to RP, perhaps they need to adjust their space and/or microphone for the server.

However I see no issue with noises of children, dogs barking, etc. These can easily be overlooked after a brief moment of shock and do not ruin immersion for me.

• Like 1

-1 We aren't a hardcore RP server nor are we fully whitelisted. Keeping the community public and allowing NEW roleplayers to come in comes with the expectation that some of those folks have less than ideal mic setups.

And, I'm sorry, but if we're going to have an "immersion" rule it needs to be for much more than just silly "background" noise.....

• Like 1