DRASTICALLY lower the price of the custom plates

TacoBlowfish

Ill be blunt, 300k per car is rediculous. 

I rarely, if ever keep more than 180k in the bank, Im not a grinder, i like to hang with people and have interactions. I dont even own a car worth more than 220k. why would I pay more than what I paid for the car for a license plate. In what world does a custom plate hold more value than a car. 50k would be more reasonable, with maybe even 100k being the most. In my opinion, the plates should be based on the price of the car, like they are in real life (at least here in the US) Like say, for a custom plate, its 50-75% of the price of the car. but 300k, thats just too much. I love the idea, but the price just isnt worth it. Sorry, but thats just my 2 cents on the topic.

• Like 3

I think the issue here is just like name changing back in the day, way back when it was 50k to change your name at the court house; criminals would change there name, get a clean record and boom.

I think the plates may be changed by criminals to make police not find there tags after they just did a bunch of robbing for example, which in turns reminds me of the above.

remaining neutral till I see what others think

Edited by Nikki Delores

May I suggest a compromise. Maybe when your first plate change is 50k or whatever. Lower than 300k. Then each subsequent change is double? Triple?

Or... If possible, after committing a crime, you aren't able to change your plate for say an hour or until after the storm? Maybe even a set amount of time, like prison time. Break in, sell drugs, whatever. After you've been reported to the authorities.

Another option- The Police have the power to block plate changes. So you and your car have been identified and now you have an outstanding warrant. Unfortunately us at the DMV can't change your plate. (That also alerts the cops to your position if you try?)

Then have an Illegal Plate Swap location and THAT costs 100-300k?

I think it should be something to be earned, not something that should be easily accessible. I like to think that a lot of prices in Badlands are x10 or x100 of IRL pricing due to the ability to gain money in a much quicker manner than IRL (basically balancing the in game economy). In the UK, it costs anywhere from £300 to £700+ to get a custom plate according to personal research, so I think 300k is totally fair. Let's be honest, that amount of money IRL is a pretty big stretch for something like a custom plate considering general working wage and other factors. Using IRL wages, if you are on £8 an hour, 40 hours a week, it'd be 1-3 weeks before you could get that plate. Depending on the kind of work you do in game I think it's a realistic comparison, it should be a lot of work to get something as personal as a personal plate.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Can i point out that no one brought up the fact that the plate change is already regulated by the government and is an application and isn’t guaranteed. For 300k i can by like almost 1000 personal plates irl. Just saying maybe if there are Ill intentions don’t give it to someone but when i just want to be able to have this one thing that makes my car actually standout, I shouldn’t have to have to pay 2-100 times what my vehicle is worth.  One last thing irl custom plates aren’t rare at all why would you expect it to be

Edited by Lildoc3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my first plate when feeling kind of tired and thought it said 30k, so ended up paying 300k and didn't realise till a few days later.
Not going to discus my finances but not sure if I would've bought it knowing it was 300k. 
Don't think a plate has to be as expensive as a few good cars, if you really care about it not being available to "everyone" maybe consider plates only being available after being a citizen for a year?

Having plates be highly expensive because cop characters are afraid crims will just change their plates IMO isn't valid enough. Feel like a fair price and a rule against people just going to change their plate to escape a BOLO or whatever is better but that's just my opinion. Maybe even a in game system that cops can check on their iPad which shows when a plate has been changed recently.
Example: My plate is "MadMan", I hit a Fleeca, get into a crazy shootout, escape, I suspect a BOLO and warrant is out for me, so I go change my plate to "HappyMan" to avoid the BOLO, but cops can either check the system to see if it's been changed or the BOLO automatically changes it to the new plate.

My main character has close to 2 million just chilling but he's still never going to pay 300-500k for a plate. Either way, I don't really care if its super cheap or super expensive, that's just my 2 cents, personally don't lose sleep over it. I think 100k is a good price for a plate, but seeing the other replies on here I know it's not a popular opinion.

• Like 1

I agree with GK47, any concerns about crims abusing this should be easily remedied by keeping a record of plate changes or delaying the change of the plate. I don't think people would have and issue with having to keep a specific name plate for say a week or month before changing it.  For it being priced as a luxury sure, but there are limited ways to customize your vehicles in this city as compared to real life, or even the base game. I happen to think being able to change name plates could be a fun way to add to the personality of a vehicle. I originally thought the pricing was based on the dev & review time involved but as this has been discussed at all so maybe it's not an issue. I also think it might be reasonable to price the licence plate a bit depending on the vehicle MSRP.  

The license plates were put in as a luxury item, and luxury items come at a cost. Absolutely nothing to do with crims changing plates. Why would you commit a crime in a car that you have a very noticeable and memorable license plate in the first place? the people who have an excess of cash and don't mind paying for the custom plate on their favorite car get it, the ones who don't want to pay it don't, and I don't see an issue with that tbh. Just like not everyone needs a supercar, not everyone needs custom plate.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...