Speed Limits for Trucks

Following on from Remington's thread in General Discussion about trucking licenses, I wanted to put in a Feedback & Suggestions post with my own feedback.

I definitely think a trucker license and an alternative driving test should be done to ensure people in the city are able to handle the vehicles in a safe manner and do not endanger citizens in the city with their driving, especially when carrying something like an oil tanker on the back which could seriously injure people.

I also think the legal speed limits in and out of the city should be adjusted in accordance to the size and risk of the vehicle. I think in city speed should be 40, 45 at a push, and highways being 60. I know this would make it harder for police to manage speeding vehicles but I think it is important that large trucks are driving slower in the city as most I have seen speed, drive recklessly, ignore red lights and overall rush to their stops. 

My final point is, the trucker license should be something that must be shown and can be easily seized / suspended, as again, the risk of driving something this big, heavy and dangerous needs to have consequences that reflect that. I believe it should be more easily taken than cars so that people understand the dangers that come with driving such a vehicle. And if the truck driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, that should be an instant seizure.

This might be a tough topic when it comes to the economy and I think the trucker job should pay more considering stricter rules be put into place, to compensate safe driving and the additional time it would take to complete the jobs. This would encourage the streets be safe while paying the workers fairly.

• Like 3

I disagree. The only reason trucking is an issue is because every other legal thing to make descent money has been nerfed into the ground, so everyone is doing it.
Prior to these nerfs there wasn't really a large amount of truckers. The only ones trucking were more likely RPing the job and abiding by laws to some extent.
Make trucking a job for truckers and not one of the best ways to make money.

The answer: Stop taking away the ability to make money and start truly balancing the server. All that's ever done now is nerf balancing.
It's all about the RP, but few want to RP as a poor person.

• Like 1

From my experience, at least in the southern region of the US, most highways and some interstates have different speed limits for 18 wheelers. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary to impose such a thing for our city.

I just witnessed a trucker hauling a fuel tank blow a red light easily doing 65+ in the city. My initial thought was "Man. Glad I wasn't at that intersection 10 seconds sooner."

I can't really speak for how all the legal jobs fair out in terms of pay but I do recall that truckers made a good dollar doing the work.

You have to be mindful of comparing anything to "real life", though, because I just ate 5 sandwiches and drank 5 glasses of sweet tea from the convenience store and didn't get full. ?

• Like 2

The License is a great way to solve the current issue. I have seen Semi hauling ass thru the city with a tanker on the back and even I’m like god damn.

I think with the use of a license, and an increase in the trucking job pay (to lead people to still want to do the job with the license / care for what they have) then it can very positively be the fix for such issue. I think if they then still decide to do anything harmful or bad then they should have a license seized. +1 to this^^^^

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Timr said:

There's a difference between nerfing and balancing... multiple other legal jobs have received buffs recently

So "- Tweaked fish sale prices" = "multiple other legal jobs have received buffs recently" ??? Because that's the only change to jobs I can find under server-changes in Discord since before the hunting change. Not discounting stealth buffs that I just haven't discovered or found out about of course.

Speaking of the recent hunting change... can EMS get a bonus added to reviving Murder Kitty victims please? What about a small bonus rate for EMS responding to Murder Kitty victims that flex Life Alert, but get taken to Sandy or Peleto Hospitals anyway? How about a millage rate?
The number of calls for that has, umm, increased quite a bit.
I do understand that hunting change, but do you really hate EMS that bad?

What's so bad about it, to me, I don't speak on the behalf of any other EMT, is that I usually work alone because of the time of day I typically work. I know that I am the only hope for some downed hunters, and make great effort to get to them. In a two and a half hour shift I responded to more than 11 Murder Kitty calls spread across all of the legal hunting areas. Add the normal city shootouts to that and...Ping Pong EMS...ENGAGE!

Maybe that should be in it's own thread, eh?

9 minutes ago, TacoBlowfish said:

Ive posted this before, but make it to where DOT vehicles (go-postal, trucking, tow, ect) get double tickets. Its a DOT vehicle, you shouldnt be driving it like that. Seize licenses, increase fines and times for DOT vehicles. THats how it is IRL

+1 for double fines

I dont think anyone here is saying nerf trucking, what we are trying to get at is the semi trucks dont need to be flying up elgin ave 100+ carrying oil tankers. IRL there is standards and more restrictions on traffic laws for truckers because they are far more dangerous to drive. I like the idea of if you have an active truckers license you get more money. 

I've been trucking for a good while now,  I agree with most of these things, if the reward was a little bit greater on hauls, Id be much more inclined not to speed at all/follow the rules of the road more accurately. Of course, I never do 100 in the city with a haul, I might do that speed on the highway but i have been trying to slow it down even on the highway. I have been caught by the police about two times doing 80, But that's cause between 60-80 the speed of the phantom custom shoots up really quickly.  I have been trying to tell any truckers i encounter to slow it down. Of course, I like doing trucking for the RP of the job, Not really the payout, But the current payouts, Do kind of encourage you to hit the destinations quickly. if one were to follow the rules of the road, stop at every red light ETC. The job wouldn't be worth it compared to many other jobs, Especially with all the scrutiny truckers get.

I for one support a special license that could be seized, But with that id like to see more reward in the trucking job. Not to mention, Everyone wants to scrutinize the truckers for speeding, but we are all guilty of it, and a car doing 120 through the city can be just as dangerous as a trucker with a tanker going through the city at 80. And as someone whos been trucking everyday for the last two or so weeks, alot of drivers dont have any regard for us, Even when driving legally, Ive gotten into so many Near-accidents because of other drivers not respecting the rules of the road. 

But i do agree with these ideas, maybe except for the speed limit reduction, it does make sense IRL, but if you cant drive a truck safely at 50MPH you probably shouldnt be in the truck. i could support the speed limit reduction when carrying "dangerous" hauls, like the tanker, but with the regular trailers id reckon the normal speeds would be fine.  I for one just enjoy the job and have been trying to slow it down, If i do speed in the city i try to stick around 60MPH, but i know many of my other compatriots, who are doing it for the money mostly, Even i have to shake my head at them, and have been trying to tell them myself for them to slow down, especially in the city.

One of my biggest gripes with other truckers is when im leaving the docks, and they come in, on my lane at 100MPH+ and nearly cause accidents cause they want to shave off the 5 seconds it takes to drive in the proper lane.

Edited by John Abruzzi
Wanted to add i dont support the speed limit changes, other than for tankers.

6 minutes ago, Timr said:

I'll look into implementing some kind of system that penalizes people who damage the trailer while in transit

Thats an amazing idea, But i do see that being an issue as sometimes locals/citizens can smash into your stuff, and if another trucker doesnt wait for you to fully be pulled out with your haul, it can spawn their haul in/on your haul and cause damage, or in some cases it outright just dissapears.