Police Respond to Medical calls.

Jim Carrey

So This has been a thing that has been on my mind ever since its been taken away. As many of you know I'm a police officer outside of the city and we respond to all medical calls. Why did we take this out of the city??? If EMS gets a medical call we should have to respond and make sure the area is clear before EMS arrives or goes into the scene. I noticed that EMS is not always on duty, and this effect's the RP experience. With this, I think when EMS is off duty police should respond to all 911 medical calls and transport the individuals to the hospital. Then RP it out and when them come back to the hospital for a check up. Again if EMS is on duty then police still respond to clear the scene before EMS rolls in. 

• Like 2

Police already move patients to safer locations sometimes, I don't see why some basic stabilization shouldn't be possible as well to maybe stop bleeding, etc...

I do like having no EMS on duty sometimes. It changes the way some people act and makes them more careful or makes them group together during outings for safety.

• Like 3

I think the tricky part about notifying police of all 911 injury calls is it affects the neutrality of EMS. If people are doing illegal activities, have illegal items on them, or have warrants and the like, they're going to think twice about pressing that life-alert if it means a cop will show up. This means more people getting moved by their friends, which means less RP for EMS.

It makes total sense to me, realistically, that the police would be aware of the 911 calls. It's always been odd to me that people can get injured, have 100 locals drive by and none of  them decide to call the cops (bystander effect at it's finest), so I'd be interested to see what PD involvement looks like in the server. However, this is a major change that could completely change how EMS functions and I think it needs a lot of open-ended discussion and policy changes for both PD and EMS before that could be considered.

Edited by Yama
  • Like 7

PD gets an insane amount of calls. 
EMS gets an insane amount of calls at times. 
PD having BOTH would be a headache. 

EMS is a neutral faction as Jay said. Plus, as EMS we are more than capable to scope out and see if a scene is safe. We have personnel that carry tazers for safety reasons. PD is notified when EMS needs help in an unsafe location. That’s all PD needs. 

• Like 5

@MJ High I know PD has a lot of calls and I know the EMS has the same amount of calls, What I'm getting at in the long run is why cant PD receive Medical calls when EMS is not on duty. And when PD realizes the there's no ems on duty then PD takes those Med calls, and transport them to the hospital. @lords8n People shouldn't know if EMS or police are on or off duty, they should always value their life and do their best to never get downed. @Richie Jax Ok so I do like the change as well but I feel like the police should be able to respond when there is no EMS. Now here is where Ill go into the other factor I do not like. Why tell the entire city "hey no EMS on duty be safe" if they get down they will find out when they push their life alert, but even with that I think its a negative aspect to the RP in the city. The police don't announce " already everyone LSPD is clocking off don't do crime." cause now everyone now knows, hey look everyone the cops are not working lets go steal cars, or rob/ kill someone. So I do think we need to change the EMS life alert notification (if possible).  The people of the city shouldn't be extra carful or group up when the EMS are not around, they should always be carful.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jim Carrey said:

So I do think we need to change the EMS life alert notification (if possible).  The people of the city shouldn't be extra carful or group up when the EMS are not around, they should always be carful.

Agreed on that. People might get more frustrated at us, because EMS is always expected to be available, but it would definitely make it much harder to meta the knowledge of EMS being unstaffed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 7:44 PM, Jim Carrey said:

So This has been a thing that has been on my mind ever since its been taken away. As many of you know I'm a police officer outside of the city and we respond to all medical calls. Why did we take this out of the city??? If EMS gets a medical call we should have to respond and make sure the area is clear before EMS arrives or goes into the scene. I noticed that EMS is not always on duty, and this effect's the RP experience. With this, I think when EMS is off duty police should respond to all 911 medical calls and transport the individuals to the hospital. Then RP it out and when them come back to the hospital for a check up. Again if EMS is on duty then police still respond to clear the scene before EMS rolls in. 

As an EMS, I actually agree with this idea. It could help a lot, as we aren’t allowed to use weapons for the most part, which leaves us very vulnerable. Plus, people should value their lives whether ems are on duty or not. Also, if cops would transport people to pillbox when there were no EMS on duty it would be great for people who live in time zones that not many EMS live in, as they would still have a chance of being revived. Sometimes people get downed without being the one at fault. Sometimes locals go crazy and crash into your car or run you over, sometimes you accidentally crash your motorcycle or you forget to eat. If cops are able to help people that are downed it would provide more opportunity for roleplay as well, as they could act as detectives, as downed individuals could’ve been potential victims to a crime.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 11:48 AM, Yama said:

I think the tricky part about notifying police of all 911 injury calls is it affects the neutrality of EMS. If people are doing illegal activities, have illegal items on them, or have warrants and the like, they're going to think twice about pressing that life-alert if it means a cop will show up. This means more people getting moved by their friends, which means less RP for EMS.

It makes total sense to me, realistically, that the police would be aware of the 911 calls. It's always been odd to me that people can get injured, have 100 locals drive by and none of  them decide to call the cops (bystander effect at it's finest), so I'd be interested to see what PD involvement looks like in the server. However, this is a major change that could completely change how EMS functions and I think it needs a lot of open-ended discussion and policy changes for both PD and EMS before that could be considered.

I like what you said here! What if police would only get notified if someone was down when there are no EMS on duty? That way, of EMS are on, police won’t see those downed calls.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, Dorkyartist said:

I like what you said here! What if police would only get notified if someone was down when there are no EMS on duty? That way, of EMS are on, police won’t see those downed calls.

+1 on this idea, died multiple times because there is no EMS but plenty of cops around who don't even know you need help

• Like 1

Maybe +1 if it's only when no EMS are on duty - especially late at night, it gets quiet for PD, so may open up some RP opportunities for late shift PD. But if it's top activity hours and EMS aren't on PD should not be expected to respond to those calls over their own priority calls. I think it would make dispatch messy in those hours and leave a lot of civs/crims frustrated thinking "well it says PD is on duty so why is no one coming when I flex my alert?" I also think a lot of downed calls in general could easily be avoided by friends taking you to the hospital etc and while it's good to prioritise EMS arriving on scene than transporting yourself, it becomes a different ballgame when PD are taking EMS calls. In general it's a complicated thing to implement and unless they could be turned on/off manually or depending on how many officers are on duty/how busy it is, I think it's a no for me right now.

• Like 1

I used to respond to medical calls, especially those on highways/large roadways, solely for the purpose of blocking traffic for EMS. It was requested that I stop doing that, as it interferes with RP. (Okay, that sounded bitter. But I don't know how to write it otherwise. Lol)

Also, as a paramedic outside the city, I certainly appreciate our LEO colleagues showing up at MVCs/MVAs/10-48s (whatever you whipper snappers call your car wrecks), hostile scenes, unknown calls/check man down calls.

Edited by [uDi]uncle_walter87
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 2:57 PM, Dorkyartist said:

We used to do that, as well.  The problem is that the longer PD/BCSO attempts to fill that gap, the more reduced the need for that faction became.  It was hard to get LSFD members to clock in knowing that someone would almost always be there to provide the coverage no matter what.  I was happy when they took away the PD ability to treat as well, because there were shifts that I would do nothing but respond to EMS calls.  On the plus side, my LSFD training was very short because of that experience...

• Like 3