Repairing own vehicle at Elgin then leaving

While working at the Elgin mechanic shop it is not uncommon to see someone stop by, repair their own vehicle, and leave, without saying or interacting in any way. The point of being the mechanic is to have the job there and provide the service, it makes sense to repair your own vehicle, but not to stay clocked in just to have easy access to cheap repairs. People do this here because it is easy and not owned by anyone else, you wouldn't go up to a gang mechanic shop, repair your own car, then leave. A possible fix would be to have the clock in location for the mechanic at the actual mechanic shop like the blast mine, instead of at the job center, but I understand why it is at the job center. You could also automatically clock out if you went too far away and have some sort of time limit to prevent people from just coming back only to repair.

I like the idea of proximity jobs +1 to that idea if possible.

For now, I'd recommend you start putting in player reports. The "I don't let anyone else work on my car" excuse will only get them so far, since as mechanics, they're required to actually work as mechanics. If they're clocked in and only repairing their own vehicles, that's abusing the system and can earn further admin actions.

• Like 1

So i can see how you two are both seeing it. But what about if one of your friends needs your help and you need a speedy repair?
I'm more than willing to pay an extra $200 to keep my active RP situation carrying on rather than some mechanic at Elgin walk up to my car not say anything to me then demand $700 like they did hard work.

I worked at Elgin, its not hard to make money there. Just Ignore the people who don't pay you as they will have to pay more.

I can agree with the above… 

23 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I'm more than willing to pay an extra $200 to keep my active RP situation carrying on rather than some mechanic at Elgin walk up to my car not say anything to me then demand $700 like they did hard work.

The RP from Elgin is generally pretty bad, I make them explain what they’re fixing or I don’t pay them… and the ones who do the good mechanic RP get like 3 times the amount they ask for… and I usually go somewhere else if they’re open. 

• Like 3

I think the topic was more about people being clocked in as mechanics and giving themselves repairs (at least, that's how I read it).

However, I would not recommend making it a habit of rolling up to an occupied mechanic, ignoring everyone there, use their tools, and pay the extra fee just because you're busy... Remember that your character cannot be a "master of all trades." So unless you're a mechanic, how are you able to quickly repair your car and get back into the action without the help of a professional? Your active RP took you to a mechanic, so you'll want to RP it out.

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, just that if the devs get enough reports of this happening, we're going to start finding it harder and harder to repair our vehicles on our own.

Edited by Yama
  • Like 1

I mean i see it all the time, i must admit at situations I will do it too, however I pay the full price and if I ain't in a rush throw a tip in the way of the mechanic if they are chill and cool. I guess it really depends on the situation but if you are literally just clocked in as a mechanic to fix your own car when you need it, then I can see the issue. A license would be an easy way to do it but that doesn't make much sense. Police or some sort of enforcement could revoke the license and that person cannot even clock in as a mechanic anymore, either that or have someone buy the shop and hire the mechanics that can only then work there. Meaning it'd be an extra expensive payment if no one is clocked in.

• 2 weeks later...

If you suspect people are clocking in as mechanics to repair their own vehicles and not actually doing the job of a mechanic, send out a report of it to your local government officials. It is against the Los Santos Mechanics Association terms and repeated offenses could lead to them being barred from being able to work as a mechanic at all. 

• 4 weeks later...

elgin is not a mechanic shop... its a gang hangout. the fact that it still has proximity repairs blows my mind.. i know 5 different people who have had good plans and put in the work at elgin cleaning it up over the years just to be denied by the city and told that nothing is ever going to come of elgin. the fact that there is 20 people there at all times now hanging out is kind of annoying. i had people leave elgin to come across the road where i was doing a local tow to take me hostage and fuck me over on my local tow job. if you want to work at a mechanic shop and not have people repairing there own cars go work at a established shop that has ground rules instead of working at a gang hangout that is constantly covered in dead locals and smashed up cars lol.