Taxes! Embezzlement! RP over money! New tax collector jobs?! New ways to interact as an LEO!

Nataree

So when I made this point in the community meeting on voice it wasn't an attack or any specific person, business etc. But I think some fun could come from charges such as tax evasion, embezzlement, giving cops something to spend their insane paychecks on (lol) etc. I don't want you guys taxed millions and made broke, that isn't the point of this at all. But lets discuss it. 

PS: I know the economy is a mess and has been for a long time, but lets try new things? Change is good sometimes. 😅

Edited by Tammy Richards
  • Like 3

• Nataree changed the title to Taxes! Embezzlement! RP over money! New tax collector jobs?! New ways to interact as an LEO!

I think taxes should only be used a balancing mechanic, at least until the city requires a budget.

It's going to be tough because taxes, if done incorrectly, only hurts those on the lower end of the welfare scale. I'd like there to be a lot of work and research to establish equity for the lower income citizens.

• Like 4

As mentioned before, taxes are already something being exercised within Car Dealerships in the city.

Let's say a vehicle costs 300k. The majority of that money is forcibly transferred to the government. 

However, if you're saying that taxes should be enforced externally, that would mean we would receive the full amount, but the government would need to collect it at the Dealerships? Which would allow for embezzlement? Interesting, but horrifying.

• Like 1

I love the idea of a functioning Tax and fiscal setup.  With Government agencies requiring to stick to a budget.  

I think being able to "Evade Tax" however is too far, we should assume anyone caught performing illegal activity dealing in cash is avoiding tax and consider the punishment part of the charge. 

Building the system so that tax is automatically paid from legal work, and tax rates can be set by admins or a hypothetical future government would be the simplest way to make it happen.

Edited by Brendan Thomson
  • Like 1

I'm highly concerned about taxes currently as my guy has no job, and has been struggling to get a job since he arrived.  Civilian pay is enough to feed you, and mostly let you drive around (Can't do it all the time, not enough funding for that). With taxes on top it could easily tip new residents into the red if they haven't secured a decent paying job fast enough

First off Americans (and I realize we have players from all over the world), hate taxes. It is essetially how our country started. So from a certain demographic, there is likely to be resistance to anything along those lines in a broad general sense. Second, what would taxes being implented solve or create? Is there a imbalance in the economy at badlands? Is there too much money floating around? Too little? What is the end goal for the introduction to such a mechanic? Third, if some mechanic like tax evasion were introduced, does that not create a balancing issue between lawful and unlawful characters. For instance if someone creats a legal character and wants to play that out, are they now at a significant disadvantage economically from say crim characters? Being charged with tax evasion could have far heavier implications to a legal character than a crim character and that could be a balancing issue that could deter legal character creation or activity. Fourth, when it comes to taxes and businesses, would it be across the board or certain businesses? If it was just certain businesses or all of them (depending on implementation), that could deter ssome players from wanting to start certain jobs, which could have a negative effect for the immersion of the city and the variety of business that players can visit. Finally, I am willing to be alot of us think about taxes in our daily lives. I know I do. I dont know if people want to think about taxes and bills 9-5 and then come game, and have to think about it in a game as well. 

These are some of questions that I would have before commenting if taxes would be a good or bad idea. 

Edited by NewportReb
Clarification
  • Like 1

+1. As a Crim business owner I’m here for it, for the RP value.

Of course it shouldn’t be too in depth, you shouldn’t need to pay taxes on a cheeseburger, but business and property taxes have a decent amount of RP potential.  Tax evasion, embezzlement, and semi-realistic money laundering could go a long way.

Taxes don't necessarily need to take away from low paid jobs - those jobs can have their pays bumped up to compensate for the tax.  I think the main point Tammy is trying to make is that there are some jobs and businesses that make insane profits that could use a little scrape off the top.

I don't think adding any sort of IRS RP adds anything of value, but might add something for faction and business owners who are nerds like me and like that sort of stuff.

I love the idea of more systems to interact with, especially as ones with just some number & formula manipulation, and a limited interface should be easy enough to whip up *cough* relatively ofc. Programming, she be a harsh mistress. ^^

I love the idea for RP value, as well as potential extra options too. I'd love to go bother a tax ministry official to get my damn tax rebate already!

• 4 weeks later...

Love the idea of taxes... but the implemented taxes are insane.. my favorite thing to make money off was flipping cars and now its not a thing anymore. people don't buy used cars cause its like 13%tax it is cheaper to buy a brand new car now. my car flipping rp is all gone due to taxes along with selling cars back to dealers or buying used cars .. was told that I would catch a vacation if I sell cars for cash so idk. 

RIP whoever is tasked with informing gangs they owe taxes. however i feel like if it goes down this route, criminals (And civillians who actually bother to make correct connections) should have a way to slowly launder and legitimize income which will come at a certain percentage, this could also change how robberies and banks work as they give money that can be traced to being stolen unless laundered. I feel like the main issue more servers make with this is they have one singular function or group that does laundering, but in reality anyone working with illegal money is going to have their own system in place to launder their money.

Edited by Atryus
  • Like 1