Do away with public mechanic shops

I can no longer and haven't considered Elgin a mechanic shop in a long time since Cleatus ran it, the issue I always see is that it's more like a VRChat room than a mechanic shop.

If you go by there during close to peak hours, it looks like a party is going on not a mechanic shop. Some are just there to chill and vibe and some are there to put forth quality story roleplay, but it's hard to do so when so many of the counterparty interfere making it that "VRChat room" type feel

+1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sierra said:

I can no longer and haven't considered Elgin a mechanic shop in a long time since Cleatus ran it, the issue I always see is that it's more like a VRChat room than a mechanic shop.

If you go by there during close to peak hours, it looks like a party is going on not a mechanic shop. Some are just there to chill and vibe and some are there to put forth quality story roleplay, but it's hard to do so when so many of the counterparty interfere making it that "VRChat room" type feel

+1

In my opinion they should make mechs an actual job where you can’t clock in publicly just like burgershot and homebrew ect mechanics are a actual job  just like   last night I got 10k in two repairs just because I actually rp out what could be wrong with a car and  “pretended” to put the parts into the car  you put effort into the mech rp you will be rewarded I also think in my opinion people driving millions of dollar cars and then stop by a shop for a 700 dollar repair should charged a lil more if you have enough to buy a 2 mill car you got enough to pay a 1k fee but if we were to do that it would run people off to other shops 

On 8/31/2022 at 2:58 PM, Mike Lowrey said:

Maybe a unpopular opinion and also might get a lot of hate for this but I think we should do away with public mech shops it takes away from mech shops that are established and don’t get enough business I have worked at 3 different mech shops that are established and have very nice businesses and great workers   and it feels like they don’t get enough work because everyone goes to these open businesses just to get “ice cream” (take a hostage) and get a repair at the same time to these open businesses with no rp it’s not that hard to go by a mechanic shop like 305 Aod or hayes auto and ask or see if they are hiring I may get the established shops need uniqueness in rp for repairing cars for people to come by but some businesses offer free repairs some offer a  receipt for you to sign open mech shops are just being abused as a pay check/ grind in my opinion put -1s all you want I still think it’s something that needs to be said I get some places use to be open to the public but they earned the respect and right to become established places like Elgin don’t earn the respect because it’s just a breading ground for grinders hell even sergs place in mirror park is open and I respect them because of what they have done I can’t respect people they just sit at Elgin with there “gang” just to grind 

+1 Definitely something I can get behind, that would not only improve RP but the overall look of mechanics .  

1 hour ago, Vega said:

+1 as long as it follows the idea that the ONLY place to get repairs are at mechanics shops. That includes no police station repairs.

I don't think that would be quite fair if we got rid of the repairing at police stations and the prison as well. There's alot of reasons why we repair at police stations from time to time or even at the prison. Alot of the time police or correctional officers don't have time to run to a shop that's why they repair at the station. So my original statement stands, +1 to getting rid of public mechanic shops, -1 to doing away with police station repairs. 

35 minutes ago, CrackyMcDoogal said:

I don't think that would be quite fair if we got rid of the repairing at police stations and the prison as well. There's alot of reasons why we repair at police stations from time to time or even at the prison. Alot of the time police or correctional officers don't have time to run to a shop that's why they repair at the station. So my original statement stands, +1 to getting rid of public mechanic shops, -1 to doing away with police station repairs. 

Police vehicles still travel at 140+ after the use of a vehicle repair kit (tested myself, see below), and they have multiple vehicles at affordable costs for their pay rate. They'll be fine. 

I think it would do well for the general functionality of the LSPD as it would increase officer interaction with citizens outside of their police work.

jfLLTHg.png

Edited by Vega
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CrackyMcDoogal said:

I think one way would have a government owned repair shop, like all others at the station that could hire civis to work for it, (obv need a good record and that to be hired) and if no one working it be like any other mech where u have to repair yourself but cost money.  (could even do it where mechanics clock in there and get paid a salary rate etc.) think that be a cool idea, but agree police shouldnt be forced to repair in outside shops

• Like 1

+1 all the way

I agree with this wholeheartedly. As the person playing Ava, 305 Autobody's Asst. Manager, these are thoughts I have kind of had for awhile. I truly do feel that my thoughts on the matter would be different if Elgin wasn't in the current state it is, but unfortunately that isn't the case here. While 305 Autobody has built great relationships with customers, enough so to bring them back time and time again, Elgin is always seen as a party. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand, it is a central location so a lot of traffic is directed there. On that same note though, even when you have 7+ mechanics clocked in down there, there have been multiple instances you pull up and they just sit there and ignore you, forcing you to do your own repair. It is a breeding ground for LQRP and I feel is more known as a Snag N' Go for nappin' situations. 

I personally feel a big portion of our issue with LQRP as a server stems from things like Elgin. It is publicly owned and makes for easy work for newbies, yes. That said, there is little to no example for these new Danny's on how the server functions. All it takes is one person. Ex] Danny 1. Day 1, picks up a job at Elgin. New to RP, unknown to them how the server functions. Few days later we get Danny 2 and Danny 3 who start working the shop, also little to zero RP experience. Well because there is no form of true RP there from someone with knowledge of HQRP, those two Danny's are going to look to Danny 1 as their example. Now I know, this won't always be the case, nor do we want this to be a handholding server. Some great RP'ers have came from places like Elgin, I'm not denying that! We preach about 'find out in RP', so people do, but by keeping things like LQRP breeding grounds around, it's no wonder we are running into the issue we are. 

Also, looking at it from a realistic standpoint, people have to apply for jobs, and guess what... people are going to get denied. But this in itself allows for more interactions and for people to get a base understanding of RP quality in the city. Now I know @Emma Valentino voiced her concerns of this preventing new people in the city getting on their feet, but I see it as it pushing them to try harder with their RP, try to make more connections, maybe do more of the things that I feel are barely touched anymore (gold mining, fishing). Hunting is already saturated enough, but obviously still a viable option for new people.

What I am essentially trying to say, like @tay, this would expose them to actual RP, and that in itself I support wholeheartedly. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vega said:

+1 as long as it follows the idea that the ONLY place to get repairs are at mechanics shops. That includes no police station repairs.

As someone that plays a cop I agree I think it’s dumb that cops go to mrpd for repair it shuts rp down but also it’s a safety thing because people don’t know how to act towards cops in a place of business when they should be netrual I don’t think this is a cop issue it’s more a issue of the business and the people that work there I always been keen on being neutral as a worker may shit talk a bit but never do anything stupid

13 hours ago, Gallamer Zedd said:

+1 "need a repair?"

I mean I say that but I also rattle something’s that could be wrong with car like break lines gas pump battery cables doesn’t have to make sense but it’s something better than nothing might even go as far saying “I’m gonna go see if I have these parts” go into our shop comeback out use /e box put the parts on the ground use /e mechanic 2 act like I’m working on the car then actually fix the car then hand the a AOD invoice they “sign” then give back as if they actually went a irl mechanic shop 

10 minutes ago, Ixaria said:

+1 all the way

I agree with this wholeheartedly. As the person playing Ava, 305 Autobody's Asst. Manager, these are thoughts I have kind of had for awhile. I truly do feel that my thoughts on the matter would be different if Elgin wasn't in the current state it is, but unfortunately that isn't the case here. While 305 Autobody has built great relationships with customers, enough so to bring them back time and time again, Elgin is always seen as a party. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand, it is a central location so a lot of traffic is directed there. On that same note though, even when you have 7+ mechanics clocked in down there, there have been multiple instances you pull up and they just sit there and ignore you, forcing you to do your own repair. It is a breeding ground for LQRP and I feel is more known as a Snag N' Go for nappin' situations. 

I personally feel a big portion of our issue with LQRP as a server stems from things like Elgin. It is publicly owned and makes for easy work for newbies, yes. That said, there is little to no example for these new Danny's on how the server functions. All it takes is one person. Ex] Danny 1. Day 1, picks up a job at Elgin. New to RP, unknown to them how the server functions. Few days later we get Danny 2 and Danny 3 who start working the shop, also little to zero RP experience. Well because there is no form of true RP there from someone with knowledge of HQRP, those two Danny's are going to look to Danny 1 as their example. Now I know, this won't always be the case, nor do we want this to be a handholding server. Some great RP'ers have came from places like Elgin, I'm not denying that! We preach about 'find out in RP', so people do, but by keeping things like LQRP breeding grounds around, it's no wonder we are running into the issue we are. 

Also, looking at it from a realistic standpoint, people have to apply for jobs, and guess what... people are going to get denied. But this in itself allows for more interactions and for people to get a base understanding of RP quality in the city. Now I know @Emma Valentino voiced her concerns of this preventing new people in the city getting on their feet, but I see it as it pushing them to try harder with their RP, try to make more connections, maybe do more of the things that I feel are barely touched anymore (gold mining, fishing). Hunting is already saturated enough, but obviously still a viable option for new people.

What I am essentially trying to say, like @tay, this would expose them to actual RP, and that in itself I support wholeheartedly. 

+1 Ava well said

12 minutes ago, D E M 0 N XIII said:

There's a lot of back and forth for this. 
I'm +1 for the idea - but the implementation of it might take some serious work.
It would def increase the quality of RP in the long run, I believe. 

I mean all it would take is for people to take away the clock in system for mechanic at downbad and boom 

4 hours ago, CrackyMcDoogal said:

In my opinion as a cop I get it’s “safety” thing but who cares it’s rp it’s a video game I wanna get kidnapped as my cop it’ll be fun people shut down so much rp when they don’t go to a mech shop they shut down me of showing off all the cool stuff AOD has came up with for Mech rp 

• Like 1

If you have been a cop for a while you know it's not ethical to have to go to a shop all the time, and realistically speaking cops wouldn't go to a regular repair shop anyways. You won't let a regular civilian touch government property, it makes sense for it to be at a police station or otherwise governmental institute. 

Besides that we use our vehicle constantly, if we had to go to the mechanic and pay money every time it got damaged, 1 we wouldn't be able to do our job and 2 we would go bankrupt. We shouldn't have to pay for the repair of our work vehicle, that's why we can repair at a police station.

At police stations it's

>quick incase of an emergency

>bullshit free

>paid for by the department

>fixed by government employed mechanics

Have opinions all you like, but this is the way it is and it won't change.

HOWEVER I will agree that when the opportunity is there you should make every attempt to go to a mechanic shop for the rp. And every mechanic knows cops always pay extra.

• Like 2

My earlier concern has been squashed. So I'm definitely in the +1 crowd.

Re: Cops, I 100% agree with @Lion_Luke , the nature of their job in this game makes it rough to go to a mechanic all the time. They have to be able to respond to things in a timely manner, and it just makes more sense for the mechanic to be at the station.

That being said, there's nothing against going to the mech shop for things like "spark plugs" or an "oil change" if things allow for it. (SOPs willing and all that jazz.)

• Like 1