Flat Rate GoPostal Shipping

Zethnos

>EDIT<
I'm not saying to change anything about the GoPostal job, it's payout, or anything about how the job itself works, this is only on the shipping side when you go to the post office to send something.

I was looking into shipping things with GoPostal and it looks like depending on how far the delivery is can make shipping costs very expensive. I've pitched the idea to quite a few people of doing a subscription based mail service for my business and everyone so far LOVES the idea and wants to see the postal delivery used more. The only issue is that my business is based in Paleto, where I live. Shipping from there to the city can cost a lot. It would take a $600 item and almost add triple it's cost in just shipping alone.

Current shipping costs:
Letter from Paleto to Paleto: $66
Letter from Paleto to Forum Drive: $760

Parcel from Paleto to Paleto: $132
Parcel from Paleto to Forum Drive: $1520

Freight from Paleto to Paleto: $198
Freight from Paleto to Forum Drive: $2,280

Ranges this wide makes it very hard to calculate shipping, especially for subscriptions. It also drastically changes how much people have to pay for something based on location.

My proposal for flat rate pricing is this:
Letters: $100 | Parcels: $300 | Freight: $750
(Kinda just pulling these numbers out of my behind, I'm sure someone from the dev team would have better numbers that make more sense for the economy. I wouldn't want to see it go any higher than $1,000 max though.)

This could be an option to select from the menu or this could be made as the only shipping option when shipping as a business instead of being able to use the variable rate. If we go with the 2nd option it will prevent people from selecting between the two for the lowest rates possible to avoid paying higher fees when shipping personal mail. It could even be tied to using business bank accounts in some way.

I feel like this would open up more RP opportunities and bring more value to the mail system. I really like the idea that people actually have to clock in as postal workers and physically deliver the mail (which I believe is how the system works). I want to make it more viable so it gets utilized more often.

Edited by Zethnos

• Zethnos changed the title to Flat Rate GoPostal Shipping

Just for a bit of the background on why things pay or cost what they do:

Income is based on the time it takes and risks involved in doing a task. Testers perform all the steps of the job, including driving around to sell points to determine a reasonable hourly wage. The risk variable considers the chances of you getting stopped for speeding and losing your cargo, or getting robbed as you stop for gas or break down on the side of the road, things like that.

When you can just mail something from one side of the map to the other with cost not being a significant factor, you cut out a lot of the rp potential that comes from the commute, you cut out a lot of risk, and you severely cut the amount of time it takes to perform the job. In other words, it's a preventative measure for people min/maxing their gameplay. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mia said:

When you can just mail something from one side of the map to the other with cost not being a significant factor, you cut out a lot of the rp potential that comes from the commute.

I'm not sure I understand how a package costing me less to send, effects the RP potential of the GoPostal driver? Nothing changes on the postal drivers end as far as I know.

You cut out a lot of risk. 

I'm not sure I get this either. The GoPostal driver is still at the same risk level of getting robbed, ticketed, etc... They don't know what is in the boxes. Also... there is no risk to me as far I know because I was told the packages get resent if they don't make it in a certain amount of time or get thrown away etc. Idk how the price changes this.

and you severely cut the amount of time it takes to perform the job.

Again... the GoPostal driver still makes the same distance of trip regardless of what it costs me to ship it from the post office.

I'm not saying to change anything about the GoPostal job at all. I just want the prices it costs me to send packages from the post office itself to change for at least businesses to be able to make shipping more viable.

What I'm saying is for there to be a flat fee or flat rate option from the go postal menu upon submitting a package to be shipped.

Edited by Zethnos

49 minutes ago, Mia said:

Just for a bit of the background on why things pay or cost what they do:

Income is based on the time it takes and risks involved in doing a task. Testers perform all the steps of the job, including driving around to sell points to determine a reasonable hourly wage. The risk variable considers the chances of you getting stopped for speeding and losing your cargo, or getting robbed as you stop for gas or break down on the side of the road, things like that.

When you can just mail something from one side of the map to the other with cost not being a significant factor, you cut out a lot of the rp potential that comes from the commute, you cut out a lot of risk, and you severely cut the amount of time it takes to perform the job. In other words, it's a preventative measure for people min/maxing their gameplay. 

100% Agree. 

If the server had a more realistic economy where a 2k fee meant possibly hours of job grinding, I would agree with this post. But you literally have folks spending 5k-10k on food like it's pocket change. 

IRL the price to send something is based on multiple factors. Weight, package dimensions, service type(how fast you want it to get there and if you want a signature upon delivery), distance and even fuel prices. In BL you're only really charged for distance (unless these other factors are implimented) and in the current server economy, I think it's fair. From a business standpoint, GoPostal would go under if they charged only flat rates for deliveries. Have it as an option, but not THE option, would be the way to go.

I'd like to expand on your idea though. I think it would be neat for there bet a Standard and Flat Rate shipping options that dictated how long it takes for the package(s) to be delivered.

Standard Shipping: the current system. No changes.

Flat Rate Shipping: Much like your suggestion, you pay a flat rate for whatever it is you're sending. However, if you choose the flat rate option, the delivery time is significantly longer. 

Is it a shipment you want to be delivered in a timely manner? Go Standard.  Is it one that you don't care how long it gets there? Go Flat Rate.

• Like 1