something should change!

Alex frost

I am getting to be very annoyed/tired of this ongoing problem of off duty officer using the discord for Badlands to check the police channels and see who is on duty and how many are on duty,they do this to get advantage in game from either selling drugs,making drugs,or doing anything illegal! i know this is happening because of the simple fact that i have been in situations where i have had to down someone at the cocaine lab due to hostile activity,then i get shot down by their friend,as i am laying there bleeding out instead of the person who is left alive fleeing the area in fear of more police showing up they instead just hang in the area waiting,this leads to me knowing that they are using the discord police channels to know that i am the only officer on duty so there for they do not flee the area because they know that no other police will arrive. this is an on going problem and it needs to be stopped! some may see as power/metagaming. i have video evidence of this occurring but i will not post it in this topic for EVERYONE to see.  Please feel free to give yer feed back on this!!!

• Like 3

+1 On this this. According to sources it isn't just police that is using this it maybe EMS also as our channels can be seen by both. 

I honestly don't know how it can be worked around or how it would work in general as there were talks of hiding channels but if this maybe for off duty officers what's the point really.

All I can say as if you felt there was wrong doing and u feels that this is happening is record and report as usual.

• Like 2

To me it seems you are making assumptions, did they verbally say they knew you were the only cop on duty? Also, to add onto it when i'm alone on duty a very rarely make a move on the cocaine lab for this exact reason if you are by yourself 99% of the time you will be out numbered and its not worth putting your life in danger.

• Confused 1

From my understanding, the channel cant be solely hidden from everyone. It was hidden from EMS at one time but the complaint before the new revive change is they couldn't see if police were on to come help them clear a scene and even now that we don't see EMS alerts if the chan is hidden I don't believe they can enter the chan to have police come clear a scene. So right now I don't know of any solution to this but know there is some truth to what you are saying.

Edited by Thorgs
  • Like 1

maybe if somehow discord could check if you are on duty or not from the DB. so when you would go on duty, discord would give you a dispatch role (and grant you access to the dispatch channels) and when you would go off duty, you would lose the role on discord. not sure its possible though

Edited by Anton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anton said:

maybe if somehow discord could check if you are on duty or not from the DB. so when you would go on duty, discord would give you a dispatch role (and grant you access to the dispatch channels) and when you would go off duty, you would lose the role on discord.

this is a good idea,but i do not think that can be done sadly :( 

1 minute ago, PaPaAden said:

You can make it so only certain roles can see the channel or make a police only discord boom problem solved

it currently is made so only police and ems can see these channels,and making a police only discord would solve nothing i fear,people would just use that discord to do the same thing that they are doing now,witch is check it to see who is on duty.

13 minutes ago, Alex frost said:

it currently is made so only police and ems can see these channels,and making a police only discord would solve nothing i fear,people would just use that discord to do the same thing that they are doing now,witch is check it to see who is on duty.

im not educated on the matter but if there was maybe a radio mod ingame the discord would be needed i do understand that its a lot of work but it does seem to me like this is a big problem

• Like 1

I GOT IT! Speed should make a "clock-in" page on the website. connect that to the bot. you clock in on the website, website sends command to bot, bot gives you role to access dispatch channels. This way the DB is safe, there will be logs on who clocked in-out and when. The only downside is that you couldn't see how many are on duty .. ah shit. this is not good.

• Like 2

So the role should be something like 'onduty' and be assigned by the bot if @speed or @Serpico can make it work, by web page, by GTA connected to discord bot somehow or more simple. By discord bot itself. A channel where PD and EMS see and can do a command like !SignIn that way it will be logged, will be simpler than the other options to develop. So the role would grant persmisions to get in PD and EMS channels. So only those with the role will see them. And someone trying to check how many people have the role will only know the total of EMS+PD in both servers.  Of course, anyone in duty could give out that info to others, but no system is perfect.

• Like 1

No doubt that there are white-listed members that look at on duty channels while off duty. To me the question is how do you deal with these people? Do you only deal with the people that have are using the outside information for crimes? When I'm the only cop on duty for 90 mins and then Serpico hops on to join me and within 60 secs 4 other officers clock on. Do we do something to these individuals aswell because its clear they are using this information. Do we deal with every person that whines in ooc as to why there are any ems in discord? This issue is a tough one to fix, but def needs to be looked into.

• Like 2

@Anton I guess there are ways to work on that, but the thing is that if you sign on duty and server is full, no one will say you meta if you go !offDuty since that would make sense. If someone cheats in that situation then it would be way less times than before that. Since people would only cheat in those cases. Yet as I'm going to state there will be people that will cheat anyway as soon as they get the info, no matter the system. We can't put spyware into their PCs and phones, so as soon as they have the info they can share it if they are going to cheat.

Two facts:
 - Some people have a way to cheat they will always cheat. Other people who usually don't cheat tend to do it unconsciously once they have the info.
- Meta in itself, for odd that might sound to some, not always is bad. Meta can be used to balance a RP game. The bad meta is any that influences the outcome of the game towards a personal or friends gain.

So what @Alex frost said is mainly true. And anything that can be done to hide the on duty people info will be good. But all has downsides, and let's also keep those in mind.

• speed locked this topic