Thread for new ideas for Criminal Activity

Penny Lane

JEWELRY STORE ROBBERY

Location - on the rooftop of certain jewelry stores in the city, an activation zone for breaking into the shop and stealing gems
Mechanics - same as existing store robberies, so I am hoping are simple to implement
Equipment - safe cracking kit could be used and, to make it a bit more demanding, you also need to buy "rope and harness" from tool shop (new item suggestion). having both those items will allow the mechanics to function 
Limitations - at least 2 cops must be logged in for the robbery to succeed and give a payout. If there are not, then the robbers lose the rope and harness (will need to purchase again) but the safe cracking kit remains reusable. A failure could be as simple as an alarm being tripped (new sound effect) and robbers receiving notification of failed attempt. 
Gains - RNG bag of Diamonds, Sapphires and Rubies which can be sold at the existing Jewelry store on map.

Notes - ok so the reason why ive gone with the rooftop is because none of the jewelry stores other than the one where you sell gems are open. so to minimise the work required to implement this, and to change up the challenge a bit, why not have the zone on top of the building as if you were breaking in through an aircon vent or something? I think this makes it a more interesting challenge because the would be robbers have to scope out the area and plan potential escapes, and creates a different kind of strategic engagement for police. 

Whaddya think?

Edited by Penny Lane
  • Like 6

ART HEIST  --- NB  This idea has run away with me a little, so feel free to scale back what is not "simple" !! 

Mechanics - Criminals go to an informant (at the University) and pay a bribery fee to learn which Art Gallery or residence in the city (out of a possible 5) is receiving a shipment of items (a couple of artifacts and a very valuable painting). When the criminal asks the informant, they will be told the specific location (marker on map) and they will have a timer that begins which tells them how long they have until the items "arrive" at the postal area (alley behind it, front door etc). They will have a 30 second window when they can begin the robbery (using safe cracking kit) and the robbery itself will take a minute (60 seconds) to complete. 

Location - Multiple: Informant at the university and one activation zone for the heist at an art gallery or residence (1. Oeuvre Gallery, Hawick Ave; 2. Kortz Centre, Kortz Dr; 3. Tongva Hills Mansion, Buen Vino Road; 4. PostOP Port HQ, Plaice Pl; 5. NOOSE Govt Facility, Sustancia Rd)

Equipment - safe cracking kit (could be renamed if this doesn't quite fit)

Limitations - at least 4 cops must be logged in for the informant to even be available, and there is only one art delivery per session (between storms), so the informant can only tell the criminal ONCE about the location. Thereafter, anyone who asks (even if they pay the full fee) will only be given a timer countdown as information - which is the same information that the LSPD will get. This should create some healthy competition for the heist.

Gains - small collection of artifacts (maybe like 5 or 6) which can be sold at Calico Jacks and are not illegal to hold, and ONE painting which is definitely illegal to have, and is worth anything between $100k - $200k in dirty money. Yes... dirty money.

Notes - ok so this is now not as simple as when i first had the idea of art heist... but i think if the mechanics i describe are possible to implement in Badlands, then I think this would be REALLY fun to do. Of course it would be perfectly fine to make it as simple as the store robberies (no informant and no timers) but I know that everyone is craving opportunities for RP and this would literally throw plenty of people into that. But this is just me thinking creatively and I am most definitely NOT a coder. So ultimately this is just here to get other (much more capable) people's creative juices flowing... :)

• Like 3

Illegal Street Race

Mechanics: Markers are placed around the city much like the trucking jobs. If possible, there would be two identical ones side by side. Both markers would have to be covered to trigger the event start. When both accept the race, a timer counts down (if possible) and a GPS is automatically loaded to the finish line. First one to cross the finish line wins. If a car becomes disabled or broken, it can be repaired but it cannot be swapped out. Races should be a minimum of 5 miles long. When the illegal race is triggered, LSPD is notified by locals of some potential illegal street racing. To promote further activity with the LSPD, perhaps the locals could give make, model, and color reports of the vehicles allegedly about to do the race.

Equipment: None would be necessary except the vehicles.

Limitations: At least two LSPD members should be in the city for the event to be triggered. Obviously the more the merrier but if there are no LSPD then there is no risk of being caught and, as such, the race shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Gains: The drivers are to place bets ahead of the race. The minimum bet should be $10,000 no maximum. This can be tied into mechanics to ensure fair play and the loser actually pays up. A potential to really spice things up is to offer ownership of the vehicle as a payment. (If this is even possible).

Notes: Feel free to expand upon this idea as it is just a foundation. It's a pretty simple idea but could bring some good opportunities for RP between criminals and LSPD.

Edited by Saja Kain
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saja Kain said:

Illegal Street Race

I feel like this should be an rp event put together by players rather than a "feature" in the game. Have 2 people at the starting line and a set finish line with someone to confirm who won. A middleman can handle the money. People have done it in the past down in the canals and it was pretty fun.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gianni Vermicelli said:

I feel like this should be an rp event put together by players rather than a "feature" in the game. Have 2 people at the starting line and a set finish line with someone to confirm who won. A middleman can handle the money. People have done it in the past down in the canals and it was pretty fun.

But a feature makes it an illegal thing that can be done and provide RP. The events tend to be non-criminal. Maybe the feature would require a minimum number of participants to make it more of an event, but wouldn't require city assistance to organize.

1 hour ago, Bob Johnson said:

But a feature makes it an illegal thing that can be done and provide RP.

Yea i see where youre coming from. I just figured its naturally an illegal activity cause i sure as hell aint going the speed limit in a race. Running redlights/reckless driving/speeding/felony speeding are all punishable crimes with fines. Just seems like a lot of work for the devs when it can easily be done by the players themself.

Edited by Gianni Vermicelli
  • Like 2

One my thoughts is not very 'quick and slap it on' thing. Though I'll add it here anyway.

Businesses should be able to rent property to grow weed in large amounts. Hydroponics labs.  I'll go into detail more late. Could have growers, trimmers, business owners, property managers.

Mushrooms.  Could be added as a small easy illegal job. Add them up at the cow or pig farms.  Pick mushrooms from shit.

More drugs:  Mushrooms, LSD, etc.. Illegal pills. Like high grade ones.

Edited by BlackMagic0
  • Like 4

We could potentially bring an Illegal aspect to trucking? 

Truckers could pose as a Military/Illegal items transporter, but rather than going from base to base, the truckers would take said cargo from these bases to illegal dealers across the map. Payout would be a little bit higher than your average legal cargo load, but would give police a better reason to be watching for tractor-trailers around the city. If stopped on a traffic violation, police could "check cargo" to ensure the loads being transported are legal, and if illegal - the trailer would obviously be seized and the tractor then towed. Furthermore, a potential tracking device could be inserted on Military loads that pings once in a while to then up the risk of transporting the Illegal cargo throughout the city. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Juan McMillan said:

Great idea. It would be cool to have some guns or drugs mixed in with your cargo. I think a cool way to do it would be that its just like regular truckig but you have the option to smuggle illegal cargo in your truck aswell for an a bonus of a set amount, $3k for instance. So regardless of distance you drive, you get the regular pay for trucking, plus the 3k bonus. It could maybe only be available from certain trucking spots. Like the one up near grapeseed, it would make sense to be smuggling weed from up there.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gianni Vermicelli said:

Great idea. It would be cool to have some guns or drugs mixed in with your cargo. I think a cool way to do it would be that its just like regular truckig but you have the option to smuggle illegal cargo in your truck aswell for an a bonus of a set amount, $3k for instance. So regardless of distance you drive, you get the regular pay for trucking, plus the 3k bonus. It could maybe only be available from certain trucking spots. Like the one up near grapeseed, it would make sense to be smuggling weed from up there.

Penny already does this. She also runs food deliveries while trucking and growing weed... so umm... technically you can already do it. you just need buyers.

20 hours ago, BlackMagic0 said:

This. Stealing from cars for a wallet.
Also chop shop.. So much RP potential.

Expanding. What if it only could be mech shop owners that can chop shop? Has a cooldown inbetween each car, so it's not abused. Also entices other mech shops to open and creates competition. Police would be notified of illegal activity happening there just as they would for money laundering. Chopping a car gives dirty money. Perhaps it takes a lot of time to chop the car, that's when police can take action if it's caught during that timeframe?

Edited by Serena
  • Like 3

So the issue with adding a chop shop is that it's extremely exploitable. Likely one of the most exploitable jobs we could add, and there's not much we can actually do to prevent certain ones.

@Merr Khan has been known to run a RP chop shop, but that money comes out of his own pocket and obviously depends on him being online, and wanting to do that RP.

Breaking into cars could work.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:38 PM, Juan McMillan said:

I don't think that sharing legal/illegal mechanics would be a good idea. It would be too difficult to distinguish between legal/illegal trucking without people complaining about cops cheating/metagaming or some stupid stuff like that. Jobs kind of need to be inherently legal or illegal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, speed said:

So the issue with adding a chop shop is that it's extremely exploitable. Likely one of the most exploitable jobs we could add, and there's not much we can actually do to prevent certain ones.

@Merr Khan has been known to run a RP chop shop, but that money comes out of his own pocket and obviously depends on him being online, and wanting to do that RP.

even if it's like simeon's mini missions in regular GTA where you have to get a specific car that the chop shop asks for?

1 minute ago, Gianni Vermicelli said:

even if it's like simeon's mini missions in regular GTA where you have to get a specific car that the chop shop asks for?

Yes. It's possible to edit a vehicle's hash in memory, so that the game thinks the panto you stole 20 feet from the chop shop is actually a T20, for example.

• Sad 1

Simple Illegal job 

Trucking: Stolen Goods

Put a pick up point on map for illegal goods (semi required). Once you pick up from here your truck will be flagged as fudged logbook. Use the current drop off point that the current trucking missions use. Give cops an item to scan the trucks for have a bad logbook (cops role-play out the stolen goods).  I personally think that the pick up for this job can NOT be camped or supervised by the cops at all. The only way to catch them is in real life is to catch them slipping and then check there logs which is a legal thing in real life. Give a 25% pay increase to current payout.

• Like 1

Gianni orignally had the idea of hacking, but I think it could be augmented with the addition of a new aptitude being added.

Hacking could take advantage of an added aptitude skill for intelligence. Say a character has a certain intelligence level on a scale of 1-10 or 100 or whatever, that level could be used to determine the speed and effectiveness of hacking things such as ATM's, cash registers or even the cameras in the coke labs to show a certain loop with nobody inside it or just disabling them for a period of time. 

Mechanics: Hacker could enter a screen where a puzzle needed to be solved - either a combination of numbers need to be aligned, or a path needs to be created and followed on a path from a beginning point to an end.  

Equipment: A hacking kit purchasable from the black market

Limitations: Once a hack is initiated on an ATM, the police are notified while the hacker is working. As for the coke labs, the hacked cameras could indicate somehow that they have been hacked and the police should proceed with caution if doing a check. 

Gains: The hacker would be receiving money from ATM's and registers. If people were making coke solo, they would be buying themselves some extra protection from being busted.

Note: The intelligence aptitude skill would allow for the puzzles to be less difficult, either making the needed path shorter or making the correct numbers for the combination appear more often. This skill could be raised by going to the university in the city and doing some activity there, whether its a basic quiz about arithmetic or something along those lines. 

The numbers would be selected from a puzzle like this 

Related image

or the path puzzles could be like this:

Related image

Another idea I had for illegal activities is the possibility of stealing/robbing delivery trucks.

Location: This could take place all over the city, wherever delivery trucks would be driving to or from. 

Mechanics: At least 2 people would be needed. There could be a small circle next to the cargo of the truck where the driver has to drive to in order to trigger the event, and then has to stay within a certain radius until the passenger is able to jump on the truck's cargo (in an animation or some other mean). Should the truck driver realize that there is someone on the cargo, he would be able to rock his vehicle some in order to shake them off, or defend themself in some other manner. Once the activity is initiated, a call would go out to the police to inform them about what is happening. If the criminals are able to take control of the vehicle somehow, they will deliver the truck to the black market dealer or some other entity and receive a payment for the delivery. Should the driver successfully defend themself, they would also be compensated in some way.

Equipment: The truck drivers would be equipped with some sort of anti theft measure in some way; criminals would need a grappling hook or some way to get themselves onto the truck. 

Limitations: This activity can only be done a few times through the day, and would occur rarely with the lack of delivery drivers. 

Gains: The criminals would receive money for delivering the stolen truck to the entity; the truck driver would receive extra compensation for successfully protecting the shipment. 

Note: This is just a broad idea that would fun for both sides. I realize this isn't something that could be implemented overnight, but a potential rework to delivery trucks would possibly populate that job and would add more excitement. Pretty much took the idea from Fast and Furious in all honesty. 

4 hours ago, MT_Windwoman said:

how about creating a "Who Dun-nit"  or  Mob family. The cops could not just arrest people with out investigation. This would also give them a fun element to work with.  It would take cooperation from quiet a few people to pull it off but you could find a way to keep it going past  a short event.

I don't know if I understand. Are you talking about like a game such as Clue? This sounds more like an event idea than a mechanical addition to the server that devs create the economy and PD/population around.