Mechanic Shops in twitter desciptions

I havent ever noticed it until it was brought up By Daniel Bos himself  ("but since then its like something that just bugs a person") when we were discussing things that could improve RP. Calling out in twitter that your running a mechanic shop with stated name you are going under then throwing 2/6 or 3/6 behind it. Its complete meta in a sense. and it looks terrible i understand its a trend that was started and it just continues because this is the norm, but why not change this. because its no different then renting a store location NO ONE SAYS  such and such store is open with the name of your store at a said location like 4/8 its literally known by the street ,establishment neighborhood its in. for example strawberry store lost mc store or mirror park store not store 4/9. Its tacky

• Like 3

You can see it as metagaming, but there are always different perspectives you can take on it. I see it as one GPS company holding a monopoly on San Andreas-imported cars, and since everybody's systems align in terms of noted/marked locations, people refer to them as such due to ease of accessibility. When roleplaying in a public server, one must consider all sides--specifically, the less experienced people who don't know that 2/6 is called Auto Exotic on Elgin Ave. Even though it may look stupid, it's a recognizable slang term for a landmark location.

Edited by Storrent
  • Like 4

In the grand scheme of things is this really that important? I could name you guys a dozen more important issues to post about other than advertisements using the in-game legend number of a garage.

when we were discussing things that could improve RP

If you want to discuss improving RP then you need to discuss people ability to step outside of their comfort zones. Right now people are comfortable chilling with their same group of friends at the garage, or jamestown, or where ever. Cops and EMS are still comfortable dealing with situations the same as they  always have dealt with situations. The only thing that can improve RP is each and every one of us stepping outside of our comfort zone and pushing ourselves.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, r3v0Lt55 said:

If you want to discuss improving RP then you need to discuss people ability to step outside of their comfort zones. Right now people are comfortable chilling with their same group of friends at the garage, or jamestown, or where ever. Cops and EMS are still comfortable dealing with situations the same as they  always have dealt with situations. The only thing that can improve RP is each and every one of us stepping outside of our comfort zone and pushing ourselves.

i completely agree with you on this and back to the "is this really that important" Yes because its terrible the immersion is completely lost with so and so garage is running out of 2/6 like i said when someone rents out a shop its not referred to as shop 4/8 its referred by the street its on and people dont have issues finding it then. This would be a step in leaving a comfort zone for the mechanics that continue to run shops day in and day out by getting away from what is now considered the norm! 

I agree it breaks immersion a bit but not nearly as much as standing on bushes or saying 'I'm going into my head for 5 minutes', at least for me. Immersion breaking just comes with playing in a public server. I'm gonna try never to refer to the shops by number if I can tho, good suggestion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beau Yates said:

when someone rents out a shop its not referred to as shop 4/8 its referred by the street its on and people dont have issues finding it then

No... The Hospitals, Police stations and Shops are marked on the "Gps" with their Street names. the Mechanic shops are not. That why people dont have issues finding it...

• Like 1

Just because something is being done by a lot of people doesnt make it right. calling something by its map reference is META. on an IRL map you woulnt say your address is page 284 G6.3? Just because some people have a hard time doesnt mean things should just be overlooked. As said people dont call it shop 5/8 or anything like that, so why have it for mechanics or anything else? this is failRP and meta. also one of the reasons I have stepped back from BLRP. 

Edited by DanielBos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, r3v0Lt55 said:

In the grand scheme of things is this really that important? I could name you guys a dozen more important issues to post about other than advertisements using the in-game legend number of a garage.

"Feedback and Suggestions" 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DanielBos said:

Just because something is being done by a lot of people doesnt make it right. calling something by its map reference is META. on an IRL map you woulnt say your address is page 284 G6.3? Just because some people have a hard time doesnt mean things should just be overlooked. As said people dont call it shop 5/8 or anything like that, so why have it for mechanics or anything else? this is failRP and meta. also one of the reasons I have stepped back from BLRP. 

I litterly just explained why that is done for mechanic shops... 

While I agree it may not be the best way to advertise a shop it's there for a reason... Saying it's failrp or Meta is a bit dramatic honestly could it be changed yes. But honestly, I see no issue with it. I can live with a mechanic shop being labeled by 2/6 if it means that mechanic, in turn, gets work due to people being able to find it easier.  

I feel for people who say it runs aground a bit of immersion, and I respect that (immersion is often very subjective, what 'breaks' it for someone might not for someone else. I personally think this is pretty trivial, but if some don't I get it. I just perceive it as an in-character GPS label / coordinate kind of thing. In all RP settings (MUDs, etc.) there are always small moments where immersion runs against the coded systems in place set to handle the roleplay, and often when it's (to me) smaller things like this it's usually treated as a 'hand-wavey' moment and just taken in stride so the RP can flow. I don't agree that it's 'failRP' or meta, that seems like a stretch. 

IMO for the sake of enjoyable RP and because of limited character slots and because from what I've read as a relative new player here that BLRP is a 'lighter' RP server, there are things 10x more egregious as far as breaking immersion going on (constant criminal civ life, get caught, 20 minutes in jail, clock into government job). 

I do get that referencing neighborhoods / streets feels more natural, and I don't think anyone much minds those who want to do it that way. It also probably just done to save limited ad character space.

When I was completely new, I didn't understand what 2/6 meant and was actually extremely frustrated by it as I had to ask "What is 2/6?" and then I ended up going to the LS Customs (where you get car repairs in GTA) 2/6 and said, "I'm at 2/6" to which the mechanic replied, "I think you're confused." and I literally said out loud "What the fuck! Just tell me where the fuck this place is!"

Yeah, newb moment I know, but this kinda eliminates the argument that it's easier for newer players to understand a shop number over actual directions or nearby landmarks. Most likely people are afraid they might miss an extra couple bucks off people who might not show up if they don't use the shop number in their advertisement. But if mechanics used the street address more often, then people would know that just as well as they know it by the numbers now.

• Like 1