More Less-Than-Lethal Options for PD?

Gasman

Is this an idea worth investigating?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tried a search, but haven't found a topic specifically dealing with this, so I wanted to open the discussion. What would you guys think about expanding LSPD's Less-Than-Lethal (LTL) arsenal for dealing with unarmed suspects, or suspects with melee weapons (like a knife or machete)? Taser is great, but just like in real life, not always effective (maybe get your aim gud mirite). I don't know how hard it would be to implement beanbag rounds that would, essentially, knock a player down -- maybe take a SLIVER of health since they're not completely non-lethal -- similar to a tackle effect, but that is how I envision it working. I think this would be a really great step to add to PD's use-of-force ladder, and reduce the number of Officers-involved shootings.

• Like 6

I hear what your saying but yea, as you said. I think tazer does the job, and if you dn't want to use that you can always use your baton. plus in RL you don't have pistols with beanbags, and unless your higher ranking officer you can't use a shotgun for said beanbags. just my two cents

If your comparing to IRL, beansbags or less lethal weapons are used by officers and even recruits. 

I like the idea, my only concern would be fairness to criminals. I love the idea of the baton but I don’t like  how “non lethal” it is by knocking a suspect completely out. I’d like additional options to bring someone down without causing any life threatening damage to them. Beanbags are normally used for rioters or prisons. I think on the average criminal, it would be OP. Especially with the range of a bean bag. 

However, I would like to see additional non lethal approaches available. It’s just what can we request that would allowed to be coded by devs as a reasonable but fair option to subdue a suspect. The community is under the impression already that PD is OP, even though criminals kick the dick in on police daily lol. So my vote is yes, if we can come up with something fair and reasonable. I’d like to hear from folks that are dedicated criminals. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

K9 bites subject stuns them. My less than leathal suggestion

However I would like to see civilians get a counter to the shotgun or taser before we add more tools for the cops to bend over the criminals. Criminals should have a crude weapon that does the same thing the taser and shotgun does that might be a bit less effective. 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 7

I'd like to hear more discussion on the potential balance issues. It seems, from the poll, there is a spike of approval for this suggestion. But some have brought up valid concerns that I'd like to see more back-and-forth on. Is a beanbag shotty too OP? I can see how it might be, but nobody is bringing a beanbag shotgun to a gunfight, and everybody has guns. So would it even be useful at all? Perhaps the RP scenarios where it would be ideal are too niche?

3 hours ago, Gasman said:

I'd like to hear more discussion on the potential balance issues. It seems, from the poll, there is a spike of approval for this suggestion. But some have brought up valid concerns that I'd like to see more back-and-forth on. Is a beanbag shotty too OP? I can see how it might be, but nobody is bringing a beanbag shotgun to a gunfight, and everybody has guns. So would it even be useful at all? Perhaps the RP scenarios where it would be ideal are too niche?

Beanbag shotty could be restricted to higher ranks and only brought out to robberies and things of such nature where a tazer would be too unreliable but a less-lethal method is still required. 

On 5/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, Kota Taylor said:

However I would like to see civilians get a counter to the shotgun or taser before we add more tools for the cops to bend over the criminals. Criminals should have a crude weapon that does the same thing the taser and shotgun does that might be a bit less effective. 

I'd like to see some sort of LTL added for criminals imo as there currently is none. If I wanted to escape an interaction with the police without straight up shooting them, my only options are to smoke meth and run or get in a car and drive like there's no tomorrow while the police have the ability to taze suspects and stop them dead in their tracks. I'd like to see civ's get this shotgun more than police, and I'd also like to see them get some zipties that can restrain someone with their hands up or someone who's stunned for a set time, say 15-20 seconds. 

• Like 2

So based off some quick googling, a taser's range is about ~15ft and has a delay on "rounds". A beanbag shotgun is instantaneous with no delay on rounds and can reach up to ~250-300ft.

If PD is given a long-range LTL option then there needs to be a balance to crim tools as well. I like the LTL option, but it sounds a bit OP to me without the "other side" given something in return. Not sure what that should be, perhaps access to shotguns as a whole from ammunation at a higher cost than most weapons. But I'm not too keen on seeing everyone brandishing a shotgun on their back (perhaps the "weapon racking" that PD has on vehicles could be given to civilians that only work with the shotgun and only in the player's vehicles).

• Like 3

I don't know what criminal has a less than lethal weapon at all and to allow shotgun to all would be a nightmare for the server and police. There is not a lot of officers that use a shotgun now so I don't know what option you have to give them. Most police departments don't even really issue those to patrol officers its mainly used against protesters. 

Would it be possible for police to have pepper spray? Or even pepperspray rounds, i've seen that they make them similar to paintballs now. Instead of stunning you like a stungun it would either black out your screen or make it very blurry. You would still be able to walk around though.

Lol dash said it literally 30 second before me

Edited by Coach
  • Like 3