Courthouse Used

Draxnair

Speaking on behalf of several lawyers it would help our immersion if civil and criminal cases wpuld be argued in the courtroom by both sides in front of a judge instead of cells of police station. That way both sides can present their cases and the best rp can be had and adjudicated by a third party (judge). Thanks for the consideration!

• Like 1

• Serena locked and unlocked this topic

IRL a lawyer wouldn't even argue the case with the police officer. The person would get charged with said crime(s) then go to court to hash out the rest of the details. It would be nice if we could somehow impliment procedures like this to give the courthouse some use. Some situations you could just set up a court date and try to get said officer to attend (perhaps while off duty so that it doesn't tie up the PD)

• Like 3

The most "tying up" that would have to be done is if an officer would get subpoenaed for the trial, which wouldn't always happen if a detailed report is made. Add one officer who volunteers to don an LSSD Deputy's uniform to serve as bailiff and the rest is handled by civilians.

Would also think that if this was to get used more months for crimes would need to be added otherwise unless the person just wanted to freely do it, it would inconvenience there time going thru the process for the max month of 30 just doesn't seem worth it.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 12:10 AM, Thorgs said:

it would inconvenience there time going thru the process for the max month of 30 just doesn't seem worth it.

I really like the idea of court system for BLRP but like Thorgs said for the max sentence of 30 months it's not worth it. If you want to use the court house for RP. You can always conduct your own civil case with people that are down to RP civil cases. I don't even know exactly how that goes but if you have the knowledge about it then you can always RP it out.

• Like 1

We will likely be making some attempt to introduce a court system in 2.0. The reason we never pushed it in 1.0 is because of the short jail times as mentioned above.

So we’ll likely need to look at adjusting jail times. Hard part is balancing jail times so that court is useful but not too long so that people just leave.

• Like 1

Could be that when the person is charged instead of being sent to the penitentiary, they're instead sent to the courthouse (if lawyers available). The proceedings continue from there. Probably wouldn't be any faster, but could be used to reduce fines. just my $0.02

On 7/25/2019 at 2:20 PM, speed said:

We will likely be making some attempt to introduce a court system in 2.0. The reason we never pushed it in 1.0 is because of the short jail times as mentioned above.

So we’ll likely need to look at adjusting jail times. Hard part is balancing jail times so that court is useful but not too long so that people just leave.

What about expanding to civil cases such as divorce and financial lawsuits? Two people have a disagreement about say a business and they both hire lawyers who argue case and judge decides? That would make it more interesting than just criminal...

On 7/24/2019 at 3:10 AM, Thorgs said:

Would also think that if this was to get used more months for crimes would need to be added otherwise unless the person just wanted to freely do it, it would inconvenience there time going thru the process for the max month of 30 just doesn't seem worth it.

I would like to see something like this in a more hardcore setting, but I would have to agree with this statement.  In order for courthouse RP to be viable, I would think prison sentences would have to be dramatically increased to make this a viable and oft used option.  The problem comes when there is nobody around to act as an attorney, prosecutor, or judge and the suspect is left to spend vastly more time in jail than under the current system.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Throwing in my pennies here but a whitelisted judge position could be implemented that simply is an intermediary between the police and lawyer. I only play as a lawyer and I find that the criminal justice system is just me trying to prove some type of mistake on the arresting officers part or trying to BS/RP a way for the arresting officer to reduce the sentence. It still leaves the decision in the hands of the officer who is by default partial in the matter because they were the one that is/may be still upset regarding the situation surrounding the arrest. If you had a "judge" that would come in, hear both the officer and lawyers case and then make the decision for time/restitution/fines. I don't know if it's just the times I play but there are ALWAYS more lawyers on then there are cases so it gives one of those individuals another job to do and if you whitelist the position it would ensure only individuals who are truly fair and unbiased the position. My final argument would be that it would be easy to implement the position because it wouldn't require much coding since they are just a salary position that makes the decision and the cops can still do the same carrying out of the punishment. What do you all think?

• Like 1