Tourniquets... and more

leporidaemon

i'm just tossing this out there as some food for thought regarding cop/crim heal balancing.

LEOs and EMS have access to medical utility that crims lack. however a common medical tool that can easily be improvised with common materials is tourniquets, which apply pressure to temporarily reduce/stop bleeding. this wouldn't necessarily replenish health like other items, but would add some slightly better medical utility to crims that doesn't require any sort of real medical training and reduces some of the need to constantly chainsmoke healing items.

the idea is, crims could make and use tourniquets that either A, stops and prevents bleeding for a certain set duration after consuming the item, or B, the item can be "equipped" and prevent bleeding, but after a certain set duration has passed without removing the tourniquet, adverse effects set in as leaving a tourniquet on for too long can result in tissue damage AND/OR your character is forced into a limping state, reducing mobility.

an alternative suggestion is some sort of anti-hemorrhagic agent, like a styptic powder. technically this could probably be homemade with common pantry items but it's not the most scientifically proven concept. but i'm sure most crims would be willing to try anything once.

an alternative-alternative suggestion is super glue. because why not. get shot/stabbed, fill that shit with super glue and walk it off.

or lastly just some plain old improvised sutures. mike's could supply fishing line or something.

LEOs also lack the access to items that stop bleeding.

I like the idea and it makes sense realistically.  But I think this is where realism would take a back seat to RP. I think the reason for the bleeding mechanic is to add some sort of a setback for getting injured. If you can just hoard a bunch of med equipment, you would never need to go to the hospital or interact with EMS. If a standard bandage isn't resolving your injury, you should be going to the hospital.

You can RP out applying a tourniquet, applying styptic powder, or sewing a wound shut with fishing line, but you would still see a professional after things cool down to make sure you don't go septic. People struggle enough actually playing out their injuries already, if an item gets added that resolves the issue completely without any repercussion to your health, where's the risk in getting injured?

I'm a +1 if it's a temporary fix that when used over and over has diminished returns, but I still think you could just RP this out without needing an actual mechanic.

Edited by Yama
  • Like 3

You could also stack a vehicle with bandages wait a bit for the heat to cool down and then go the hospital furthest from the location of the crime. 

You don't have to go to a hospital right away, and if you are in critical condition try to call for EMS, if none are available change into different clothes and go to a small hospital with a limited amount of people.

What I mean to say is, you could add hundreds of mechanics to try and make it easier, but that will only last so long till all the dev work is useless.

The better option is try different tactics, RP outfits and hide your identity creatively without a mask in vehicles that don't belong to you or your gang.

6 hours ago, Lion_Luke said:

You could also stack a vehicle with bandages wait a bit for the heat to cool down and then go the hospital furthest from the location of the crime. 

You don't have to go to a hospital right away, and if you are in critical condition try to call for EMS, if none are available change into different clothes and go to a small hospital with a limited amount of people.

What I mean to say is, you could add hundreds of mechanics to try and make it easier, but that will only last so long till all the dev work is useless.

The better option is try different tactics, RP outfits and hide your identity creatively without a mask in vehicles that don't belong to you or your gang.

Ohh 100% i wouldnt walk straight in with the same outfit and car etc etc, just i feel if we have a seperate location that would be sick too. just an idea for the future.

8 hours ago, George Doors said:

Additionally give us crims a place to get fixed up which isnt a hospital and maybe not known to cops. Amount of times we have to stroll into a hospital to get fixed up is just, it feels weird.

I would like to see crims give the RP to medics they trust or give an option for medics they dont know as well to earn/build that trust. Get phone numbers, call them Directly and discreetly to a location. I have had this a few times on Connor, where I get called somewhere to help people, because our priority is to help someone who is hurt. RP can dictate how to help the patient. Doesn't have to be at the hospital, but could be in other places. Not needing another game mechanic built in, but using the RP opportunities available, would love to see it. Maybe take a patient to the morgue and call a medic in to help with what little supplies are there? random Ideas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Connor O'Shea said:

I would like to see crims give the RP to medics they trust or give an option for medics they dont know as well to earn/build that trust. Get phone numbers, call them Directly and discreetly to a location. I have had this a few times on Connor, where I get called somewhere to help people, because our priority is to help someone who is hurt. RP can dictate how to help the patient. Doesn't have to be at the hospital, but could be in other places. Not needing another game mechanic built in, but using the RP opportunities available, would love to see it. Maybe take a patient to the morgue and call a medic in to help with what little supplies are there? random Ideas.

Seconding what Connor said here. Gives medics a reason to be around and make connections outside of the hospital.

1 hour ago, Connor O'Shea said:

ya know what i never thought about calling an ems directly hmm good option

• Like 1