Using OOC specific knowledge to boost a Character.

Razec

Hello folks!

In this post, I just wanted to clear something up.

Recently I was involved in a Fleeca Bank Robbery with my friends. We had 2 people dressed up as managers, 1 electrician and 2 cyber security officers that were allegedly changing the vault's password because of a recent leak. Officers arrived and started asking some questions, as they're supposed to. But the only thing that to me didn't make any sense was the fact that some police officers were questioning us about firewall and specific subjects regarding cyber security, trying to test our knowledge. Is this, in any way, giving your character a advantage, if you're using your "in head" specific knowledge to get the best out of a specific RP scenario? 

If no players used IRL experience or their own personal knowledge as part of there character then wouldnt all the players go around saying "Goo Goo Gaa Gaa" and drink from bottles until they learned how to talk, and then they would crawl until taught how to walk, so on and so forth. Different players IRL experiences mold and shape their characters whether they mean to do it or not. The only knowledge that we ask you dont use is knowledge that can only be gained IC but you learned about it from an OOC. Example Serpico is on duty and someone tricks him into eating a cookie and post a pic of Serpico shitting his brains out in the game media channel. You then shouldn't go into the city and then make fun of Serpico about the situation since your character didnt learn about it from an IC means.

Edited by r3v0Lt55

i mean tbh, if i was to question someone about firewalls and shit, which i know nothing about, but i would try calling their bluff, i would just want the criminal to make it believable. If not then then i cant really go off of anything with my investigation. like what jerome(r3v0Lt) said, someone got to have some type of knowledge to mold their character. maybe checking low-end security shit on youtube before going in and getting shit down regarding plans for the robbery.