Modernize Attitudes

Denver

So the way attitude works has been the same for as long as I remember, you start at level 4 which grants you 40Kg weight for your inventory, in order to increase this to the max level of 7 with a weight of 70Kg you're going to have to go to the gym with if I remember correctly takes you 15 minutes. Within these 15 minutes you are completely excluded from RP (unless there is someone else at the gym that you can talk to, but that chance is very small). The fact that you're completely excluded from RP for 15 minutes straight on it's own already is annoying, but the gym itself is quite boring as well. Walk from circle to circle and wait for your character to get done with what they're doing, just sitting there and feeling like you're there for hours.

With the developer(s) constantly adding/changing old features to be more focused on RP, the same should happen for the gym/attitudes. And I have been thinking of a few ways.

Option 1 (boredom fix):
Have it so that when you go to the gym, you don't just walk from circle to circle and animation to animation, but instead make it into a mini-game, make the person have to complete certain tasks/puzzles/games in order to gain (xp) for your level to go up. Mini games would have different levels of difficulty, and let's say you can score a 1 - 5. Scoring a 1 for example would grant you 2 xp, while scoring a 5 (perfect score) would grant you 10 xp. This wouldn't fix the RP side of it, but def would make it less boring and killing.

Option 2 (RP fix):
Have it where running also has a say in attitude, let's say your attitude level is 4, you would only be able to run for about 3 minutes before your character gets tired and unable to run, where if your level is 7, your character would be able to run for about 10 minutes before getting tired and unable to run. Running in this case would also increase your attitude, more than it would at the gym. Same goes for using a bicycle. This would encourage people to host more triathlons and other leg work events. With this, it would be nice to implement the feature from story mode, where if you try to run longer than your character physically can, it would start hurting you, slowly killing you. Little like a heart attack.

Option 3 (boredom and RP fix):
Combine option 1 & 2.

It's a lot to read, but let me know what you think. 

Honestly +1

I do agree with the gym being a boring process to increase weight space, but obviously they are there for a Semi-realistic purpose and regulations. I think the background behind having the gym is, realistically it would take you months if not years of training to get “stronger” “fit” etc. The ideology of having it 15 minutes In-character would be more a “fitting” time to match the setting in terms of reality because it wouldn’t make sense to be instantly buffed. So I’m sure the intent of this mechanic isn’t to remove RP. Now, is it boring? 100%. And I do like the idea of it being more interactive via mini-games which could also grant more EXP per skill game/shot.

Now in terms of RP, I do NOT agree with making it stamina dependant, because it’s in a way forcing RP that at any given time can be an issue. Now I do see where you’re coming from but this can heavily affect balancing and regulations in many aspects, from PD foot pursuits to making wine (and we already know how tedious that can be) to many other aspects. While yes it does make sense I’m not a fan of it. So in a way it’s “forcing” almost every character If not most characters to hit the gym, because of 3 minutes of stamina and inventory space, disregarding any character that may have a history in sports, so it kinda breaks that. And imagine, how frequent people will get those “mini-heart attacks” when realistically that chances are very very slim. And to add to that, if they lose HP for pushing their character, it’s forcing RP unnaturally with EMS, and people are just going to go up to EMS and start saying, “hey ems I need an ice pack I lost breath.” Please don’t get me wrong, we’ve had issues where EMS aren’t getting enough RP attention/interactions but I would rather it not be forced like that.

oh and btw it’s Aptitude*

Edited by Matthew King
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Neat idea, but honestly when I go to the gym irl (and just p much like everyone else) everyone just ignores each other anyway. And just as in IRL you just go from each machine doing your reps until you get tired and go to another.

I guess you don't really just bounce back and forward between pullups and curls or whatever, but all of this seems like a lot of work to fix a system that really isn't that bad. (imo)

• Like 1