Question regarding phones for the badlanders

Rizz

How do we feel about a mouse only phone?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Problem: Facing issues deciding how to go about phone control. 

My Options

• Disable in-game keys (like the tablet). Easiest solution, big change for players. Rizz happy. 
  • Disable in-game keys only when an input is focused. The camera stays locked but can still move around. This is the current solution I have, but the final version of this is unfinished, and unknown if it can work correctly. Pain in the butt. Rizz not happy. 
  • No mouse control is pretty much out of the question. There are too many features to account for. 

Technical: As most people have heard already, there is a new phone in the works. The idea is to have it fully feature packed, allowing 2-10x more features than the current phone. But, there's an issue. Today, for the last 4 years, all badlands players have been used to a default no mouse phone. This is highly limiting, not just with the features we can offer, but also text/form/field integration (ex - the text popup when you send messages). All of that silliness is because if no mouse is enabled, and action hotkeys are enabled (like walking WASD), then when you type inside of a input box on a UI, you will also move in-game. I'm sure all players have seen that happen a few times with different UI releases. The current solution I have is to create a smart system, that allows someone to use the mouse and walk around at the same time. This will perm lock the camera, and hot lock in-game controls when a text field is focused. However; this is not easy, and requires 100% accuracy or it will cause issues.  

TLDR:

My question to you guys is, are people willing to settle for a non hybrid mouse controlled phone? This means you can not walk around while using the phone. However, we also get lots of nice new features, and Rizz doesn't have to worry about extremely annoying keyboard control event handling

I think I could settle for not being able to walk around while having the phone open, but we NEED to be able to walk around while being on a phone call. Perhaps minimising the phone and keeping a HUD element at the bottom of the screen with the call timer and who youre on the phone to?

Would be good to be able to take phone calls while being in the tablet too.

Edited by Brendan Thomson

20 minutes ago, Brendan Thomson said:

I think I could settle for not being able to walk around while having the phone open, but we NEED to be able to walk around while being on a phone call. Perhaps minimising the phone and keeping a HUD element at the bottom of the screen with the call timer and who youre on the phone to?

Would be good to be able to take phone calls while being in the tablet too.

Yes one big improvement I plan to make is letting you do other things while on a call. 

• Like 1

I've been using the mouse controlled phone for, well, as long as I can remember. Especially with the formating issues at the moment, if I had to spam click the down arrow key everytime I got a text, I'd go insane. 

Even outside of the formatting thing, I love the ease of use using the mouse. Major +1

Is there a way that we could see a youtube video or example of what the options are. Just ballpark ideas doesnt have to be final version? Personally I never used the non mouse controls for the phone but I think a vid or two might shed some light on the directions you are talking about. Nothing long but maybe a 30 second vid or something like that?

3 hours ago, NewportReb said:

Is there a way that we could see a youtube video or example of what the options are. Just ballpark ideas doesnt have to be final version? Personally I never used the non mouse controls for the phone but I think a vid or two might shed some light on the directions you are talking about. Nothing long but maybe a 30 second vid or something like that?

Not this specific thing, but this concept is exactly the issue with non mouse enabled. It lacks the ability to do things you simply can't do with arrow keys, but from hearing feedback I may be able to put something together that works. 

• Like 1