Market Volatility/Dynamic Economy

BrandonM

I'm thinking of an interesting mechanic for the drug sales mechanic.

There has to be an element of danger, but there also has to be a bit of consistency for the dev team to work with, so my suggestion is this:

Price fluctuation based on recent police activity.  A news flash comes across twitter: "Cops too relaxed on drug crimes?! Dealers raking in the cash from illegal drug sales!" and the sales price of joints bumps into a higher tier RNG.  Lets say $250-$400 per joint/meth and decreases the rejection rate.  A couple hours later a news flash comes across twitter: "Recent busts have locals in fear! Dealers struggle to make ends meet!" and the sales price of joints drops into a lower tier RNG between $150 and $300 and increases the rejection rate.   

Keeping this as a constant RNG (oxymoron, I know) where it triggers at random times would add volatility to the market.  It would also prevent people from just constantly grinding weed and prevent the cops from constantly patrolling the weed fields and high-pop areas for sellers.  This could also be a good mechanic to create to introduce a stock market or something, I dunno.

There just has to be a little more danger to approaching someone on the street and saying "Hey, wanna buy these drugs I have in my pocket, person I dont know?"

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BrandonM said:

There just has to be a little more danger to approaching someone on the street and saying "Hey, wanna buy these drugs I have in my pocket, person I dont know?"

Agreed, maybe if there was a very small, but possible chance that the locals can call the cops it would elevate the risk involved with dealing drugs.

4 minutes ago, Gambino said:

Agreed, maybe if there was a very small, but possible chance that the locals can call the cops it would elevate the risk involved with dealing drugs.

That's already a thing.

Another idea would be:

Player offers to sell weed.
NPC punches player in the face, steals 10 weed from Player.

Edited by BrandonM
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...