Player Organizations

kimjungcool

Hey there homies, I wanted to take a minute to throw an idea out there from my old days of playing TSRP.

Some of you here who've known me for awhile have probably heard me go on a rant about TSRP and how much fun it was back in the HL1 days, if not...be prepared.

Anyways the idea I want to bring up is that of player organizations that could play a core part of the RP continuum on the server, inspired by the system that was set up on most TSRP servers back in that day. The basics of the idea is that players start various organizations, businesses, etc. and subsequently other members of the community can apply to become part of these organizations via application on the forums. However, in order to get an organization approved you would need to fill out a fairly lengthy application that needed both community and admin support/approval. Even if players had differences they would generally approve an organization application if it was well written and sounded like it could be fun RP addition to the community, this idea was always about creating the "character" of a server.

Within each organization there is a standard top-down hierarchy with usually with a single boss man at top, upper management, general member and recruits at the bottom. Rank/position within an organization would determine your paycheck and level of authority with the group and surrounding community. The pay check system in this idea is something that would need to be balanced out with the current game economy, back in TSRP there were no jobs like we currently have where you complete a task and get paid...you would just get paid determined by your rank with paychecks that would come somewhat more frequently than we have now (also an entirely differently scaled economy since there were no cars to buy, mostly coded items, guns and property). 

Having true player run organizations and social structures is something I miss the most from playing RP servers back in the day, it encouraged players to get really into their characters because they already had a tangible background by being part of something bigger than themselves.

As an example, let me tell you about the Sewer Krew - A group of friends and I had been roleplaying as the night shift EMS crew at the local emergency room, but our medical careers took a dark turn when we were hit with toxic waste from a terrible truck accident. Soon we discovered that we had been effected...changed...by the toxic waste accident and could no longer walk the streets during the day, even living above ground was becoming a horrible experience to endure. It wasn't long before the night shift crew started to slowly loose their sanity and retreated to the safety of the sewers, where they made themselves a new home. Knowing they could never live normal lives again, they turned to a life of crime...and thus, THE SEWER KREW WAS BORN!

Sounds pretty toxic right? Yeah, you're right because after awhile it just got a bit toxic and the community complained about us being fucking awesome sewer dwellers who wanted nothing to do with surface world...god, am I still RPing the Sewer Krew? Anyways in the end, we were all "character killed" which essential means you have to pick a new name and create a new role play persona because you're old one is dead af. After our run as the Sewer Krew we were forced into starting a non-crime based organization and open up the Jelly Fillers Shop and sold donuts while occasionally trying to fight off a robbery with a luger that did almost no damage.

Something like this just might not fit into FiveM well, but it was a big part of what made RP so fun when I started out as a kid and would love to try and figure out how to implement a similar system here. 

6 hours ago, Alexander VeXed said:

I'm pretty sure there is a place you can open a player business, not sure if that's what you are speaking of.

I could see merging some of the ideas here into the player business model, but from my understanding the businesses were more of an operation for money laundering dirty money from bank robberies?

The general theme I'm going for with this suggestion is a tangible aspect to players RP characters, giving a background to player RP persona that can be literally witnessed as organisations grow and interact with the community.

A random player can always go up to someone and start rambling about a non-existent gang/shady organisation/mafia/ur mum, but if there was a more solid sense of player organisations and communities within the server it doesn't have to be some made up gang/etc and you can treat that random person for what they are: someone pulling shit out of their ass.

In my opinion it could create a sense of, what I guess I would call, organic roleplay and naturally develops an ongoing meta of friendships, betrayals, alliances...essentially developing a "bigger picture" of what the world of Badlands is based on via the relations between organisations and the community at large and less of players roleplaying in any direction humanly possible. I think it still allows you to get creative with your roleplay and silly at times, but it makes it feel guided and less chaotic. 

For instance, lets say there was a group of players who wanted to start up a player org that roleplayed as the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). On a more serious note they can go around to different places to inspect the environmental impact of something like weed or gold, creating "reports" they can tweet to the community; this can go down 2 ways, either they make a more heavily RP base "report" and talk pollution or environmental impact OR they can use that context to report (aka tweet) scarcity of resources at certain sites and try to enforce some EPA regulations. Now, how they could interact with the community at large and still have fun with it...

For awhile I was running around as a Sasquach (please never remove it <3), if the EPA exsisted I could think of several fun ways this could go down that could bring in larger community involvement. The EPA could alert the public with a tweet that they've discovered an endangered sasquach and warn the public not to get too close and report it they see it. This could start a server wide hunt for sasquach, with some trying to catch and bring this endagered menace in or to the sympathetic animal rights activist that might try and help smuggle the sasquach to safety. 

Either way, serious or silly, the roleplay would operate within the confines of the player organization created meta, and then grow off of it.