New To the RP life

Thejoker420

I remember when I first started RPing 5 or so years ago.. it's pretty daunting when you first start out. If RP is a new concept to you, you'll need to understand a few things. When you RP, you're taking on the character that's on your screen, not yourself. You act like your character in-game, making choices based on their personality. You could be a very lovely person IRL, but your character might be a criminal looking to cause some trouble. So what if you pass a guy looking for some spare change? Your IRL self might wanna give him that money, but would that fit your character? That's more serious RP and it's rare to see someone going into that much depth with their character, but you get that idea.

Next is some of the terms for RP. You'll generally learn these as you go along, when someone mentions them and you go "oh, what's that?". OOC stands for out-of-character. This means that you're saying something as your real self, not as your character and nothing said in OOC chat should be used in-character. Similarly, nothing in-character should be taken out-of-character, but that happens a lot. If your character beats up your friends character for something that happened IC (in-character), they can be mad at you out-of-character, but again, that's pretty in-depth RP. Taking things out of their respective character scopes is generally known as meta-gaming. If someone says "meet me at the fire station" in OOC, and you do it in-game, as your character (IC), we'd call that meta-gaming.

Another widely used term is NLR. NLR stands for New Life Rule. If you die, the idea is that you forget everything that happened in your previous life. Pretty self explanatory, right? Jimmy mugs you, you refuse to pay up and he kills you. You can't really go back to him and say "Hey you killed me, so I'm gonna kill you too!", cause that would be breaking the New Life Rule. Some games like Garry's Mod (not GTA) have RP servers where the NLR rule stops you from re-visiting your place of death for X minutes, but the maps on there are kinda small, so that makes sense.

Another that I should mention is Fail RP. Fail RP many years ago used to mean "failing to roleplay", and was used when a person literally failed to RP. They would run around killing people mindlessly, stealing without cause or purpose, etc. That is failing to play a role properly, therefore Fail RP. Nowadays, it's more like something that you wouldn't do IRL, whether it's RP or not, today it's used more to define somebody who does something unrealistic. Here's an example: the Captain of the Police Force, a loyal character and has no reason to betray the PD, joins Al Qaeda. I would consider that Fail RP unless they got a damn good reason for it. It's just unrealistic and failing to RP their role properly.

That's some stuff for roleplay terms and meta. As for actual mechanics of this game, you can check out the link above by Storrent. If you have any more questions, I'd love to talk to you so just PM me on the forums with absolutely anything you're concerned about. I know it's daunting at first, but it's very, very fun when you get into it.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1