Bank Robberies, Pistol Only Server, First Impressions

Michael Steel

I have been playing on the server for about 3 weeks. Here are some questions, suggestions, and observations.

First, I would suggest having a box that lights up green to let you know EMS is on. This would allow players to exercise more caution if no EMS is on.

Why are there no bank robberies or other planned heist that could enhance RP? Even if you robbed a 24/7 the payout is less than paying for safecracking kit. There is no point and risk is crazy. It would be nice if a group of players could plan a bank robbery in the game and set up getaway vehicles and RP this scenario.

Why is the server basically a pistol only server? I don’t want a wasteland server and every person to have AKs and RPG running around. I would like to the additional weaponry added back and this could go hand and hand with adding bank robberies. Let LSPD have SWAT team with heavy weapons to respond to bank robberies.  

Does the LSPD get notices of gunshots being fired? Yesterday I was gunned down by the motorcycle gang and another person was also gunned down by bumping into one of them. EMS responded to two players down but no LSPD officers came.

I’ve bounced around a lot of different servers and a first impression can make or break a server. When you start off, you have little money and a basic car license is $5,000 and the license office is far away from the driving school. I would suggest moving the license office away from the airport and move it next to the job center and lower the price of a basic driver’s license to $1,000. Yes, people will offer to help, but its catch 22. You need a car to earn the money from deliveries to get a license and you only have a bike. A very nice EMS person named Ivy gave me 5k to get my license. You shouldn’t need to rely on other players for help when you first start out.

This is one of the friendliest communities to play on. I only make this post to try to improve the server and have some of these questions answered.  

Hi @Michael Steel,

Welcome to Badlands and thank you for taking the time to write some feedback and ask some questions.  I'll do my best to answer and explain some of our philosophies.

First, I would suggest having a box that lights up green to let you know EMS is on. This would allow players to exercise more caution if no EMS is on.

We believe that people should behave in a responsible manner in which they value their lives enough regardless of EMS being on to revive them or not.  EMS are there to help when things go wrong, not to allow you to behave in a more reckless manner.

Why are there no bank robberies or other planned heist that could enhance RP? Even if you robbed a 24/7 the payout is less than paying for safecracking kit. There is no point and risk is crazy. It would be nice if a group of players could plan a bank robbery in the game and set up getaway vehicles and RP this scenario.

Why is the server basically a pistol only server? I don’t want a wasteland server and every person to have AKs and RPG running around. I would like to the additional weaponry added back and this could go hand and hand with adding bank robberies. Let LSPD have SWAT team with heavy weapons to respond to bank robberies.  

At Badlands we value RP over gun play and the server is setup as such.  Allowing more powerful weapons would just lead to more hostilities.  Our experience is that the RP value of a gun fight is not as engaging and we try to limit that type of activity.

Does the LSPD get notices of gunshots being fired? Yesterday I was gunned down by the motorcycle gang and another person was also gunned down by bumping into one of them. EMS responded to two players down but no LSPD officers came.

Yes, the local population will sometimes notify the LSPD of Gun Shots, Fighting, and Drug Activity.  In some cases officers are unable to respond if non are on duty or if they are tied up at other locations.

I’ve bounced around a lot of different servers and a first impression can make or break a server. When you start off, you have little money and a basic car license is $5,000 and the license office is far away from the driving school. I would suggest moving the license office away from the airport and move it next to the job center and lower the price of a basic driver’s license to $1,000. Yes, people will offer to help, but its catch 22. You need a car to earn the money from deliveries to get a license and you only have a bike. A very nice EMS person named Ivy gave me 5k to get my license. You shouldn’t need to rely on other players for help when you first start out.

We are a non whitelisted server which means anyone can join.  We implemented this mechanic to force new players to integrate themselves into the community, learn some of the game mechanics of Badlands, prior to obtaining their licenses.  Prior to this change people would enter the city, immediately get a car or gun, and start to VDM/RDM.  This forces them to work towards these privileges while at the same time learning about our rules, laws, and community.

Don't take this as me saying no to any or all of your suggestions, my goal is just to explain why we do some of the things we do :D

I look forward to bumping into you in the city!

• Like 1