Police Conduct

Smile

Tonight I was apart of an incident that completely exemplified my issue with the server. I love this community. I enjoy the people of the city the family that the people have created. I don't even blame all police, I don't think all of them are an issue, because without the police there's no force driving the city, and it's crucial to have a good police force in order for RP to be pushed. But it just feels like it's a video game to some police, there's no attempt at RP with some. Tonight while entering a chase with my gangmates who were in a previous chase the officer yelled at me "you better fuck off and get out of this chase or your license will be revoked." This threat took me so off guard I stopped my vehicle and sat on the shoulder of the freeway to process it. In what police chase would an officer yell that out of a window at a criminal, and how could that be taken any way other than to threaten someone with a police ability. Upon apprehending my gangmates he immedeatily revoked their license while they were still down and were still cuffed, no lawyer no processing.

I won't disclose this officer's name, and I won't publicly shame them, that's not how this gets fixed. I really hate to see this behavior, because I know it's not all police officers, I know there are those who are apart of the police faction who genuinely play and geniuinely roleplay. This behavior of enforcing the rules the officer percieves a suspect has broken while being apart of the police faction and trying to take administration work into their own hands is not what they're there for. They're there to enforce laws and create RP, not to enforce rules. There have been so many incidents like this happening in the city that it barely feels like RP anymore, if I wanted to play cops and robbers I'd join a Cops and Robbers server. It feels like as soon as someone feels offended, feels as if a rule has been broken, or feels as if they might not win, RP is thrown out the window and it begins a dick swinging competition. If this behavior continues, I don't think the move to 2.0 will do anything to encourage RP. If this behavior is allowed to continue I don't think a lot of people will want to attempt to RP when they are just going to get punished for angering police. This post may get deleted, or censored but I just can't let this go further. If this behavior continues, people WILL leave the city, I know me and my gang are honestly thinking of leaving the city for good, because it's just not worth putting the time in to be slapped down.

Before staff remove my post, no I don't want to fill out an IA. That's not how that get's fixed becuase it's not just the officer, it's not just this one bad apple. The way this gets fixed is putting it out publicly, and hoping enough people read it that something changes, becuase if not I don't think a lot of the people who love this city will want to stick around.

I'd like to hear what everyone has to say, from staff, from crims, from members of the police faction. I want to hear all sides and I want to see what the people who enjoy the server feel is the issue. If people can open a dialogue and give their point of view, I feel as if this issue could be slowly solved through understanding.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I mean, an IA is exactly how things like that get fixed, afaik. If you don't let them know that there's an officer acting like that, how can they know to fix the issue. It could be that the attitude is perpetrated by that single individual (unlikely hypothetical) and by informing them of their unacceptable behaviour, you can then help them move on to rectifying the situation as a whole.

I am in no way affiliated with PD at this time, but I am certain that they would appreciate you letting them know (privately) who the offending officer is.

I can only encourage filing the IAs when something like this happens, I know you say it won't help, but it will and it does. Filing IAs is apart of the coaching that needs to be done within the factions. 

I personally haven't seen such behavior, but I'm sure it happens sometimes and that is where the PD or FD needs to be made aware via the external means that we have in place for exactly these matters. 

Regarding the taking of license, yes maybe it shouldn't have been done while the criminal was on the ground and such, but police do have the authority to do so if it's a repeat offender and they have dealt with said person over and over again. Try flipping it around for a sec, and see it from a POs perspective, how great is the RP if the same person just do the same shit over and over again just to get his own little fun of messing with the PD, that same person takes all the RP out of other people that wish to interact with the police aswell. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Thanks 1

Police see alot of stuff everyday, As has already been stated I would recommend putting in an IA, it is not a means of punishment but a means of coaching people and helping them get better at RP because not everyone has the same abilities or standards. For your situation it's unfortunate but as Morningstar said, put yourself in the cop's view and relook the entire day.

I have seen similar instances happen and it's unfortunate and should be brought up within the proper channels, you can bring it up to a senior officer, you can do the best thing and file a report formally. Police officers have full control over what they do in the city just as criminals do, and everyone is responsible for their own actions and have to take responsibility for them.

TLDR: Everyone is here to RP, and unfortunately not everyone has the same standards of RP, cops have rough jobs and repeat offenders are looked at with stricter punishments.

As many others have mentioned, I would highly agree with the others in filling an IA report. Every IA is handled as a serious matter, and regardless of what the issue was - it will be looked into. Action can't be taken if they don't know who. I would also suggest having a small replay buffer in case you need to capture anything for a report. 

Upon everyone's request, myself and the three individuals involved have submitted IA reports. We felt this effort would be wasted as we have no video or photo evidence of the event, as well as if we had submitted it the night of there would have been a degree of salt to our reports. Regardless I hope that this post can turn into a discussion about both police and crim conduct, and to come to some sort of understanding between the two factions. It feels as if the divide has become toxic over recent events and I had hoped that bringing things to light would encourage discussion.

• Like 3