Hunting & Fishing Laws / Rules

Kathryn Davies

Hey! I really love the unique laws we have in place for hunting at the moment but I would love to have some more added in. I don't know if all of this could be implemented / enforced but this is what I would want! I feel like some people blatantly disobey these unspoken rules and realistically, they would ruin the hunting experience for everyone else (if animals were to respond to people in the same way they do irl). I also don't know too much about how fishing works in BL as it's not all that popular right now so if any of this is actually in the game then my bad!

1) Fishing - Protected species - It would be really cool if there were some species that would be protected in the same way as the hunting animals. If there was a way to release fish caught back into the water, if you caught that species, you would have to release it back, and you'd get fined if you had it on you. It would work well also if there were different ways to fish, live fishing would promote the release of protected species while fishing in a way that killed the fish wouldn't. Rangers could release these fish back into the waters themselves if taken off of fishers. An example of a protected / endangered fish species could be Bluefin Tuna, Winter Skate or Atlantic Cod. Certain fishing locations could be used as conservation grounds for endangered species of fish, and calls could be coming in from locals that witness people fishing in those waters. And of course, those protected fish could be sold on the black market for a great price.

2) Fishing - Overfishing - While it would be another system that could be hard to implement, if there was a way to keep track of which bodies of water were being fished, overfishing affects entire underwater ecosystems. This could be a difficult law as it would need regular updates to the public on which areas are not acceptable to fish in. Another stance could be to assess how much fish is in a player's pockets and if in excess of a certain number, they could be fined for overfishing. This would reduce exploitation if fishing was balanced to bring better income as they would have to make sure they are making regular selling trips to avoid this charge.

3) Hunting - Vehicles - While people driving sports cars could be charged with off roading, I would like a misdemeanor for hunting with an inappropriate hunting vehicle. People could be hit with off roading on the first occasion and then hit with Hunting With Inappropriate Vehicle if there were repeat sightings. Using non-optimised vehicles with bright colours would deter animals, not to mention they would struggle on hills and surely it would produce enough noise to make yourself known to them. This is kind of an unspoken rule with hunting but not everybody brings an appropriate vehicle. They could also simply be advised to keep their vehicle away from the area they are hunting in or on a trail.

4) Hunting - Clothing - I don't think this could be a law per se but I think it should be some sort of rule, something you agree to when getting your hunting license, that you hunt with appropriate gear. This includes neutral colours, camo, protective clothes in case of animal attacks, you get the idea. People who are wearing bright colours would be alerting animals of their presence, realistically scaring them away / encouraging them to attack them, and would be ruining it for other people too. I believe Rangers should have the right to ask individuals to leave the hunting grounds and change so that they are hunting efficiently and not ruining it for other people.

5) Hunting - Taking Game - Some people in the past have driven into people's hunting grounds, gotten out of their vehicles, approached the animals those people are hunting in that area and killed & harvested them. It would be good if it was a fineable offense, or if Rangers would have the right to remove said people from the hunting grounds. This one would be difficult to charge someone with unless a Ranger was actively watching the individual moving from one area to the next, hunting without baiting. Generally this is frowned upon and to be able to enforce fair hunting in some respect would be beneficial to prevent people getting screwed over. It would be down to the Ranger's discretion as to what counts as the group's "hunting area", if they are shooting towards the edge of where they are hunting it would not be able to be enforced as opposed to if they were to drive right into the middle of where they were hunting and start hunting their animals right in front of them.

6) General wildlife - Pollution / littering - I would like there to be something in place where items should not be dumped in bodies of water or on the hunting grounds. Anything you want to dispose of should be kept in your trunk and disposed outside of those areas as to not endanger the animals, for example if they consumed something dangerous you had dropped like a bullet.

A lot of these are very small fineable offenses and you may think I'm going for realism over roleplay, however it would be great for Rangers to have a wide variety of things they can police to encourage ample RP opportunities with hunters. I would also love to see fishing get bigger and having rare fish and different populations of fish could be part of encouraging fishing again. Let me know your thoughts!

• Like 4

Keep in mind that as much as people want to yell RP, RP, RP, people do these activities for profit. And few people wish to RP as a poor person, sorry.
With that said...

Fishing needs a rework. While it might be "relaxing" to throw a few lines, it certainly isn't profitable, time considered.

Not too many people that i've encountered even like hunting. But they like money, and that's currently where the money is. There is no debating this...it is fact, even after disallowing people to smash animals with bats (laughable change at best).

RANT
I've only seen one officer at the Stab City hunting grounds ever. And that officer saw me bait and rushed down to encounter me because they saw Coyotes running about. As I sat there being harassed, Boar spawned all around me from my bait, and the other hunters harvested them all...weak officer, very weak. Enough bitchin. I rightfully refused to be searched because I just pulled up to hunt and obviously baited Boar.
RANT OVER

As I know it right now there are only two descent locations to hunt, and one of them is more tedious than the other. Most of the green hunting area, that is relatively flat and traversable, has no animals in it if you try to bait. PLEASE expand the available animals in the legal hunting area and spread out the hunters. 

Why the San Chianski Mountain Range isn't a legal hunting area is beyond me. I can go to the beach by Zancudo, inside the legal hunting grounds, and there are no available animals, yet if I go into the San Chianski Mountains I can bait animals but it's illegal to hunt there. What gives?

... and i'm convinced the change to forcing us to shoot animals has to do with Admins seeing people hunting profitably in illegal areas while the police had no clue because we weren't firing rifles. Sad guys, sad. Again, few people want to RP as a poor person. Help us MAKE money legally, don't keep making it harder.

If you want to stop the city boys in their street cars from hunting, make something else as profitable as hunting. Don't nerf hunting equal to all the other fail jobs. FEW PEOPLE WANT TO RP AS A POOR PERSON...sorry if that hurts your feelings. And SOME people want to RP within the LAW...sorry if THAT hurts your feelings. We're not all bank robbers ffs.

1 hour ago, lords8n said:

In response to your post I have a few points to make. 

1) I genuinely believe the change to only allowing people to shoot animals is to prevent animal cruelty and also to make it so realistically you would be able to harvest the most out of it. We do not get gunshot calls to hunting rifle shots, unless they're outside the grounds or within illegal times, so it's not as if we can see who's shooting where and keep track from there, nor are we likely to investigate by tracking hunting rifle bullets, because in most scenarios it simply isn't worth it. 

2) I know of at least 8 good spots to hunt. If people aren't smart enough to find good spots, they don't deserve to be making a good profit. 

3) If these "city people" as you say can afford super cars, they can afford a TRX, vagrant or other off road suited vehicle. It isn't a case of having nothing else to do, it's a case of being too lazy to gather the necessary tools for the job RP wise. 

4) The hunting grounds are made in a way to where rangers don't have to be rushing from one side of the map to the other in order to police. I think the area could be expanded a little but again, it's about people not finding the right spots and that's on them. It's a LOT of area to traverse for patrol. I do know the majority of people like to hunt along Lago Zancudo by Stab City so calls are often localised to one area, so it would be nice to have more flat to work with, but at the same time, if people aren't creative enough to find other good spots in the allocated areas, do they really deserve the profit?

5) To the repeated point, few people want to RP as a poor person: few people also want to make an effort. You can make profit legally hunting. Like I said and you agreed I would love a fishing rebalance but I'd also like more structure in policing fishing. You can work for any number of businesses in the city, dealerships, food places, and make a decent profit while having further RP opportunities. You can become an EMS and make a decent amount of profit while literally saving lives, getting great RP and choosing when you want to do it. You can gather materials and sell them and depending on the material, you could make tons. And people forget about things like wine which isn't that bad of a way to make money.

If people are too lazy to put in the work, they're going to say there's nothing out there. And if they're on an RP server to isolate themselves and grind then they're there for the wrong reasons. Getting nice things takes time and it's less about the money and more about the interactions. And I would like to note that the majority of the points I've put forward are not to do with the economy, more about promoting the best kind of hunting and preventing toes being stepped on or completely unrealistic BS from happening on the grounds. We have gotten a bunch of rangers trained up so we will have the force to be able to police additional rules and regulations. If you have any comments that are with regards to the points I made then feel free to put them out there. 

• Like 4

I've picked up a few of the hunters that have been gunned down by locals, we all know that locals are out there in the woods to report you shooting off guns at 2am. Hearing and reporting gunshots in the middle of the night, even on the mountains is very realistic.

Not sure how Davies bringing up the unrealistic strategies of some of the hunters falls on authorities to police the mountains properly... nice ad hominem though.

23 hours ago, TrumpNorris said:

Gunshot calls.  Much realism.  

Sounds like instead of getting notifications for hunting rifle shots, authorities should be policing properly. 

Gunshot calls are completely valid. I come from a small town with a lot of farmland, fields etc and woodlands - hearing gunshots in the middle of the night is something I would totally report out of concern. ESPECIALLY in America, I would be reporting that. Locals hear the gunshots and report them, there's enough delay from the calls to give people the chance to scatter - in fact by the time I get to most gunshot calls people are long gone. It helps us police while still giving civs/crims a chance to get away. And if locals know hunting between 8:30pm-5:30am is illegal, if they hear gunshots at that point, they're going to be worried and assume it's a fight.

I don't think you completely understand how much effort goes into policing properly either. People get away with a LOT because we don't have substantial evidence or are limited by our SOPs in certain situations. And frankly the point about "policing properly" has nothing to do with my comment you quoted which talks about the economy, laws and how it should take time to earn things rather than people isolating and grinding 24/7. But as I said previously, this post isn't to talk about the economy and balancing of hunting, it's to talk about instating further rules & regulations of hunting to make it fair and more realistic, while still understanding that it's a game.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Kathryn Davies said:

If people aren't smart enough to find good spots, they don't deserve to be making a good profit. 

On 9/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Kathryn Davies said:

if people aren't creative enough to find other good spots in the allocated areas, do they really deserve the profit?

Even tho I agree with some of the points you are making I have to say something about this, the forums are for suggestions where everybody is entitled to say what they think and what they would like to see changed in the game. Comments like these are in my opinion really disrespectful to ALOT of people. Lets keep it friendly shall we? :)❤️  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZaxxYs said:

Even tho I agree with some of the points you are making I have to say something about this, the forums are for suggestions where everybody is entitled to say what they think and what they would like to see changed in the game. Comments like these are in my opinion really disrespectful to ALOT of people. Lets keep it friendly shall we? :)❤️  

This is the truth of the matter, though - some people simply can't be bothered to put in the effort to figure out a way to make things like hunting work. They expect to be spoon fed information to make easy money. Without putting in the time and trial and error to find what works, they're not going to be hunting in a way that is efficient and making them a solid profit. However if you took offense to that I do apologise, however I feel like I was simply matching the energy of the post I was replying to.

Even still, this takes away from the main points I made in my first post and that is what should be focused on here.

23 minutes ago, Kathryn Davies said:

This is the truth of the matter, though - some people simply can't be bothered to put in the effort to figure out a way to make things like hunting work. They expect to be spoon fed information to make easy money. Without putting in the time and trial and error to find what works, they're not going to be hunting in a way that is efficient and making them a solid profit. However if you took offense to that I do apologise, however I feel like I was simply matching the energy of the post I was replying to.

Even still, this takes away from the main points I made in my first post and that is what should be focused on here.

No offense to me personally, but when you say things like "people are not smart enough, or you dont are creative enough" you are including alot of people and basically calling them dumb for not seeing or enjoying the videogame the same way you do. That is all im saying, comments like that shouldnt be said. IMO. Have a good rest of your day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZaxxYs said:

No offense to me personally, but when you say things like "people are not smart enough, or you dont are creative enough" you are including alot of people and basically calling them dumb for not seeing or enjoying the videogame the same way you do. That is all im saying, comments like that shouldnt be said. IMO. Have a good rest of your day. 

I said "if", I did not call anybody stupid or uncreative. The main point of that statement was to say that people should be using their brains, putting work into what they do and getting creative in order to make the best profit and to get the most fun out of what they're doing. If they are not actively engaging in that way then they are going to hit a wall at some point.