Offroad is NOT Probable Cause...

lords8n

7 hours ago, vDrop said:

Honestly have no clue what this has to do with Off-roading charge as the OP has asked about. Would be nice if you would stop comparing 60+ people to a few people that you are actually talking about. NOT all LEO's have the mindset you claim they have. 

IN regards to the OP, 

Honestly its a great point you brought up in regards to the charge itself. The Charge and PC was put into place to combat specific vehicles doing off-road janky shit. This is one of the oldest charges in the city, and its intended to keep vehicles on the road, not going down janky paths that these vehicles normally wouldn't ever attempt. Based on the information you provided to the alleged scene, I honestly think Internal Affairs is highly appropriate for actions like that. (Allegedly of course). Some officers ROLEPLAY that they are corrupted, and there's NOTHING stopping civilians from proceeding IC with evidence to get someone internally looked at and potentially fired. 

To Continue, there are a lot of people that continue off-road activities and don't get searched. Its 100% officer discretion and its hardly ever used. If a person or persons is operating a vehicle off-road that has an extensive criminal record, most likely they would be searched, but more often than not, they are not. I still recommend those individuals continue to pursue IC Punishments for those officers, if they feel the officers were acting more in a distributive abusive way OOC, then a OOC IA should be filled out. 

I hope this was helpful.

yeah I went way off topic, but the response that some people gave was "Take it to court" well taking stuff to court doesn't do SHIT.

Anyways, I usually don't comment in this kind of topics because at the end of the day its the same thing that has happened for years, the guys that are actually getting robbed of their time because they went 2 meters into grass are going to complain about it and the people that RP as police officers will google what the IRL law is and talk like if they know wtf they are talking about. So in the end things stay the same way. Welcome to RP servers sir. 

Edited by ZaxxYs
  • Like 2

@ZaxxYs The energy level is really not constructive. To give you an example of a recent court case, a citizen wanted to get their seized vehicle back and argued as to the vagueness of the law surrounding car seizures. Because of that case, the law was changed to be more explicit as he had asked, and got his car back. So you can say taking it to court doesn't do shit, but maybe instead, it's actually that you are not keeping up or in the know. 

In terms of the pc law regarding offroading, I believe the wording could be a little more clear to reference that there is PC when you commit the act of offroading as defined in the ticketing aid. It's defined as 5 meters, so your example of 2 is wrong, and it is easy to take a picture and use that as evidence, not only of asking for the law to be changed but your charge to be appealed. 

As to the original post. I can agree that offroading alone should not grant probable cause. Our police departments train to exercise best judgment. So one would not charge or search people having fun with their dirtbikes for offroading unless there are other factors involved, like 911 calls coming in. Im sure most everyone has been pulled over for doing 20 mph over the limit but have not been searched even though police could by rights do so. This is an example of police using their discretion and reserving their right when it makes sense to do so. If you feel like a cop is going overboard, senior pd wants to know about it. Feel free to submit IAs and include video if you have it. 

• Like 4

Los Santos is in California. The basic rights of a US citizen should apply for a city roleplaying that it exists in the United States. I have always felt this blanket rule to be unfair. Respect to the people who commented above that as cops they don't abuse the rule however this rule does get enforced on citizens by other cops without such use of discretion. It does happen. I've herd the stories in roleplay from people who characters at least seemed upset. 

I fair compromise is to allow off-road vehicles to drive off-road without fear of unlawful search while outside of the city limits. Off road drivers would be required to stop before crossing a road. Opportunities would still arise for police to engage as most people won't stop at road crossings while off-roading. People who are just having a good time enjoying the sport will be able to do so lawfully and most likely will be out in the unpopulated areas without roads. 

I love off-roading and almost exclusively drive a dirt bike as my main mode of transportation. You crazy drivers hit me at least 5 times a week, the woods are the only safe place for me to get from one place to another. 

Edited by Vetis Veeper
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 10:25 PM, Mia said:

@ZaxxYs The energy level is really not constructive. To give you an example of a recent court case, a citizen wanted to get their seized vehicle back and argued as to the vagueness of the law surrounding car seizures. Because of that case, the law was changed to be more explicit as he had asked, and got his car back. So you can say taking it to court doesn't do shit, but maybe instead, it's actually that you are not keeping up or in the know. 

In terms of the pc law regarding offroading, I believe the wording could be a little more clear to reference that there is PC when you commit the act of offroading as defined in the ticketing aid. It's defined as 5 meters, so your example of 2 is wrong, and it is easy to take a picture and use that as evidence, not only of asking for the law to be changed but your charge to be appealed. 

As to the original post. I can agree that offroading alone should not grant probable cause. Our police departments train to exercise best judgment. So one would not charge or search people having fun with their dirtbikes for offroading unless there are other factors involved, like 911 calls coming in. Im sure most everyone has been pulled over for doing 20 mph over the limit but have not been searched even though police could by rights do so. This is an example of police using their discretion and reserving their right when it makes sense to do so. If you feel like a cop is going overboard, senior pd wants to know about it. Feel free to submit IAs and include video if you have it. 

You are completely right, my answer or energy was not constructive, I have played here for years and have experienced ALOT of different scenarios, and have read MULTIPLE threads about X or Y thing being wrong or people giving their opinion in X or Y topic. The answer is always the same, the response is always the same, and the result is always the same. I have seen and experienced MULTIPLE people breaking rules, laws, and SOPs, I have reported the players IC and OOC and once again nothing happened. The players that RP as a Police Officer (low and HIGH ranking) will come here and say nothing is wrong and then proceed to call every criminal in the city dumb or that they don't use their brain and unfortunately I have not seen a response about their bad energy level. I have seen every single player that role plays as a PD officer quote IRL situations when it is beneficial to them. Nothing happens, nothing changes. Sorry if my response was not the best, its called frustration, the server was and STILL is PD sided (you know this) and its not going to change because unfortunately we pay more attention to loyal members that are mostly in PD than to the casual player that comes here and sees things that could use improvement. Once again apologies for being so rude in my responses, I think I will just begin to comment with a +1 or a -1.  

• Like 1