Mechanic / Tow Possible Pay Method

So i realize there is a lot of talk about how the mechanic basically lives off tips. But just an idea i had was to set up the mechanic functions (Repair vehicle & Tow Vehicle) to pay the mechanic on use, With an internal timer limiting payouts so the system isn't abused. For example: Car repairs paying out say $250 with pay outs possible only once every 15 seconds. Or Tow jobs (Loading vehicle only) paying $1000-2000 with pay outs possible only once every 2 minutes or so. (Obviously timers and payouts are arbitrary and can be set appropriately to prevent abuse or encourage mechanics to be on duty).

Mechanics don't have to live of tips. I don't know where the whole "we only take tips man" story came from but if a mechanic will RP that they are fixing my car and not just walk up and repair it I will pay whatever set price they say within reason, of course.  I don't think a paycheck is needed.

• Like 3

I mean as far as RP goes that way works fine sure. But you'll find people choosing other jobs over mechanic because its less hassle to get paid. i'm not saying this should be the only way mechanics make money and they cant RP. its just incentive to actually do the job kind of like a baseline pay (if they aren't abusing the system it wont pay too well leaving tips/RP still very viable), and if people are less worried about there being no mechanics (or just trying to avoid 2/6) you may find less of them running around as registered mechanics so they can fix they're own cars. 

14 hours ago, George Cahill said:

Mechanics don't have to live of tips. I don't know where the whole "we only take tips man" story came from but if a mechanic will RP that they are fixing my car and not just walk up and repair it I will pay whatever set price they say within reason, of course.  I don't think a paycheck is needed.

I would rather no one clock on and fix my car for $500 myself, than people clocking on and still demand payment. It's kinda douchey and forcing people to come to a mechanic if a lot of people are clocked on. It's not about RP, but about saving money on repairs.

4 hours ago, Chan Wong said:

I would rather no one clock on and fix my car for $500 myself, than people clocking on and still demand payment. It's kinda douchey and forcing people to come to a mechanic if a lot of people are clocked on. It's not about RP, but about saving money on repairs.

The thing is that I have never gone to a mechanic in real life and had the mechanic say "I just work on tips, so pay me whatever you like". I'm fine with people working on tips, but it should not be expected of people. The system was designed in a way that people could charge a small amount and people would still be saving money by going to the mechanic. If everyone was charging $2,500 for repairs then I would say the system isn't working, but that's not what's happening. I say if someone wants to work on tips then let them, and if someone wants to use a random number generator that caps at a few hundred like I do, then let them. I personally spend more money on repairs than on, food, gas, and medical combined just because I know being a mechanic isn't that well paying of a job. If someone is being a jerk and charging a lot then I understand the backlash, but if I charge someone $328 for a repair I don't see the problem in that. And hey if someone doesn't pay well, that is pretty realistic sometimes people refuse to pay. Situations like that make great civil matters and are the perfect situations to get the police involved for even more RP. This is just my opinion on it, I hope at least a few of you agree.

The idea isnt for mechanics to be paid fully by this system, the idea is for mechanics to be able to make a little bit more then they do off tips, enough to encourage mechanics to spread around and keep 2/6 abit less busy. I was actually in a server today with 3 mechanic shops open and 2/6 was actually tolerable to be around. With the numbers i suggested mechanics still wouldnt make much. but if people dont tip its still something. I know people avoid mechanics longer then they need to because like Benjamin says people spend alot of money on car repairs (some repeat visits every 5-10 minutes). Additionally, mechanics only make okay money when there is only one of them active, and i dont think thats what we should be aiming for.