OOC chat "Steals" RP

OOC is server wide, and currently is been quite miss used. I don't even think is needed to keep it as a global tool. And I will explain why

Down sides (uses that are not good);

Requesting medical/PD help. --- That helps meta, and also random banter as from time to time players say "don't request in ooc" which is more spam since some even start to argue.
Insulting other players. I have seen several "I had fun with your mother last night" discussions back and forth in OOC. --- Distruptive for anyone in the server and just wrong in many ways.
Asking about in game mechanics "What's the best job?" "How do I sell weed!""   --- That is quite negative because it can be RPlayed so it's taking RP away from the city and making new comers jump into grinding instead of interacting with other players.

Asking things in character like "where are you?" -- Again that's IC and letting people do this is encouraging meta while killing RP.

Uses that are good:
Someone games crashes while interacting with PD and just want to tell PD that he is back. ----  Can be fixed with Call PD and in the message use " ((I just crashed while you were arresting me and I'm back))" or add OOC before the message.
Someone is glitched bugged or similar and needs help. --- Easy replaced with pointing out that for assistance they should use discord >> general help.
Can't think of any more at the moment, but feel free to add them on the post.

I understand that the server might be light RP, yet the message I get from the admins is that they want to encourage RP. My point is that maybe removing OOC as a server wide tool, will remove many banter that disturbs those that are doing RP, and help new comers to RP a bit more, since some use OOC because they simply don't know. If people keep the chat with /Tweets and IC messages a new player can learn by watching. At this moment they just learn than spam OOC seems good and the way to go.

I noticed that there are a few bans for OOC spam, yet I don't think we should focus on the dynamic of wait for people to fail to slap a ban. It's better if the tools guide a bit more the way people play, for a more healthy and fun experience for all.

While I don’t disagree with this suggestion I think at times OOC can be a helpful tool especially for new players.  I have noticed that it also does get abused quite a bit.  Two thoughts 

I think in some aspects it’s gotten better. I see less people requesting info on cops and ems.  I attribute that to the players who have suggested the right way to inquire about those services.  It still needs work but if we continued to teach the right way rather than bitch at them for doing it wrong it can be managed. 

Second. I know Serpico is working on relocating chat.  My biggest complaint is that the chat overlays the menu, is large, and lacks contrast so is difficult to read.  When he is able to fix this I think that it will be less distracting and bearable.  

• Like 2

I think many of us help players from time to time even when they ask in ooc. The point it's always the same questions and there will always be new players, so we are doom to that repeating over and over. When a FAQs or basic tutorial page could resolve most of the doubts for new players. @TiLLeR  So beyond those, what other legit uses have you seen with OOC? If you filter those legit questions, that once again they can be asked in character, generating RP, because my point is not if spam is going down, my point is having it as it is, generates spam even if players do it less.

But yeah, if the higher ups don't agree. I'm gonna beg like the rest for a /mute OOC option.  I rather not to have a tool that's so miss used than have it as it is.

Edited by Tomas García

Maybe adding a time limit on /OOC like tweet has. So it can't be spammed. My biggest dislike of /ooc is when players use it for arguments, they hang their dirty laundry out forcing everyone to see their skid marks. 

I dislike how players use /ooc to ask IC questions like "how to make the most money". IMO any ooc info used IC to better you position or status is meta. Selling weed/meth w/out character development and an IC reason/backstory, Simply cause it pays out the most is failRP.

Also with the addition of the /me command there should be very little reason for /ooc chat to explain actions in an RP scenario. 

2nd side of that /ooc is a must to have, mainly to answer mechanical questions, like "how do I lock doors", or "hey im locked out of my car"? To say you got disconnected and to meet up again (since IRL we don't get disconnected while hanging with friends or police so it wouldn't be a /tweet to meet back up). Or to explain to someone they are instanced.  

Anyway im glad to see that there are plans to move it. nothing worse then trying to use inventory while an /ooc spam war is going on.   

17 hours ago, Merr Kahn said:

2nd side of that /ooc is a must to have, mainly to answer mechanical questions, like "how do I lock doors", or "hey im locked out of my car"? To say you got disconnected and to meet up again (since IRL we don't get disconnected while hanging with friends or police so it wouldn't be a /tweet to meet back up). Or to explain to someone they are instanced.  

This is ultimately what I envision the usage of this chat for. With serpico working on moving it to a new area and the ability to hide it completely I think we are on the right track. A cooldown may not be a bad idea, something I would at least be willing to test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1