Fishing: How It Could Improve and Why It Should

Storrent

Fishing has been in the server since I've been around and before, and it's always been a mechanic that's just kinda... there. It's never been a spectacular moneymaker, and I would bet a large sum of money the code has sat largely untouched since its first implementation. It's a great way to chill out and socialize while making a little bit of money on the side. It is, however, woefully basic and has much room for improvement. My suggestions to improve fishing are as follows:

- Vary the types of fish able to be caught. I'd rather catch a small trout or a hefty whitefish instead of a generic "High Quality Fish."
- Regulate fishing. Overfishing is very much an issue IRL, and if fishing licenses were introduced alongside wildlife conservation laws it would make for an interesting "semi-legal" way of making money as well as introduce a use for law enforcement's marine units.
- Let us cook our fish. The server has seen a lot more food making its way into the community, especially with the BadEats app, and letting people who own houses with grills have a seafood cookout is a logical step in the right direction.

These are only a few ways the forgotten fishing system could be brought to the forefront of player's minds and expand passive roleplay further, out on the sea. I'm sure our community could think of more ways that this mechanic could get put to use, and I'm eager to hear what everybody's thoughts on the matter are. 

• Like 5

There are a few seafood themed restaurant buildings around the map, I'd love to see another restaurant open up that could use the fish caught by players. Heck, even a Fish Taco from the taco trucks would be amazing. Might help them out, especially since their regular tacos lost their flavor recently.

Both freshwater and saltwater fish would be great additions to the server. I think taking inspiration from fishing mechanics in games like Stardew Valley and Far Cry 5 would help flesh out fishing in badlands. It would also make boats viable and could even lead in to more ocean related business or crime. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks a speedboat chase on the ocean would be cool as hell. Currently there isn't an incentive to fish when other jobs are so much more rewarding or entertaining like delivery or mechanic. Maybe if jobs had more skill to them it would help balance out a more fleshed out fisherman job.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:48 AM, Storrent said:

- Let us cook our fish. The server has seen a lot more food making its way into the community, especially with the BadEats app, and letting people who own houses with grills have a seafood cookout is a logical step in the right direction.

+1 to this whole post, but especially to this. Would be cool to see it in tandem with some of the ideas in this post: 

On top of that, maybe even adding meat gained from hunting to things we could cook. To note, Kota brings up a good suggestion to balance this: being unable to leave your house with anything you cooked at home. I still think it's really important to balance this somehow because restaurants are important and we don't want to take away from them.

• Like 1