License & Registration

Denver

"Hello there person, I am Sgt Denver with the Los Santos Police Department, could I see your license and re- oh wait.."

Now if you're a cop you may relate to this, if not that's fine just hear me out.

I believe vehicles should come with a registration card that can be requested from the court house similar to how someone cane request their ID card. Registration cards should be mandatory to carry on ones person in case the owner of the vehicle is unable to answer the phone for an officer that's calling about the possession of the vehicle. If someone is in possession of a registration card belonging to the vehicle that's currently in possession of said person, and the vehicle has not been reported stolen, it should be a free pass for that person to not be charged for possession of a stolen vehicle or be ordered to leave the vehicle behind as it would be towed away.

---

Reporting your car as stolen would become mandatory as well, if someone is stopped and they are unable to provide a registration card, while the vehicle has not been reported stolen, the vehicle owner becomes responsible for what happens to that vehicle. Meaning if officers choose to impound the vehicle for 3 days for illegal activities this would be valid.

In other situations if the vehicle was used for illegal activities and the person is in possession of the registration card and the vehicle has not been reported stolen, the owner of the vehicle would yet again be responsible.

If in cases where the driver has the registration card while the vehicle was reported stolen, the driver is to be charged for possession of a stolen vehicle, and theft (of the registration card).

With vehicles being mandatory to be reported stolen, if an officer is chasing a vehicle and the officer has enough reasonable suspicion to believe the registered owner is also the driver of the vehicle, the officer would instantly have enough to put a warrant out..

Now I can hear your criminal keyboards clicking, don't worry, this won't just be a big plus for officers.
With registration cards being a thing, vehicle thief's would be able to "fake" these cards to get away with driving a stolen vehicle, which would open up RP between officers and crims.

---

I may just be crazy, but let me know what you think, and if you have ideas on how to improve my idea, please let me know too.

+1 for the idea, love the idea. However, if we are having a registration card for a vehicle that means there would be one per vehicle. Which means if a person has, lets say 20 vehicles per say, thats means they would have to have 20 registration cards. Which yes IRL you would. However I feel like if we kept those on us it would get kinda confusing figuring out which registration goes to each vehicle in our pockets. Unless maybe there would be one card for all the vehicles you own? Or I suppose you could keep each individual one in the glove box? Either way +1 for it.

1 minute ago, CrackyMcDoogal said:

+1 for the idea, love the idea. However, if we are having a registration card for a vehicle that means there would be one per vehicle. Which means if a person has, lets say 20 vehicles per say, thats means they would have to have 20 registration cards. Which yes IRL you would. However I feel like if we kept those on us it would get kinda confusing figuring out which registration goes to each vehicle in our pockets. Unless maybe there would be one card for all the vehicles you own? Or I suppose you could keep each individual one in the glove box? Either way +1 for it.

If you're not driving the vehicle, the card would be in the glovebox

2 hours ago, Lion_Luke said:

Reporting your car as stolen would become mandatory as well, if someone is stopped and they are unable to provide a registration card, while the vehicle has not been reported stolen, the vehicle owner becomes responsible for what happens to that vehicle. Meaning if officers choose to impound the vehicle for 3 days for illegal activities this would be valid.

Hell no. So if someone is able to steal my car, now I get punished for all the dumb crap they do in it? Some times cars are stolen without the owner taking noitce, hence, why is getting stolen in the first place. There are many locations, lawyers for example, need to spend significant time at and out of earshot range of say... a lockpick , or a hot wire, and it would kill the RP if I had to say.... "Can we take a quick recess your Honor? I need to check and see if my car has been stolen." Or this example "Excuse me but can DoC walk me outside so I can check the parking lot, make sure the car isnt stolen, then walk me back into the secure area?"

As for the registration, I see it just being a pain in butt. I already have enough paperwork to carry on any given day. If someone has a ton of cars, my god that is alot of paperwork and putting registration in each car glovebox. Which would negate the whole point of having it in the first place.

On the plus side though, that could be a big enough pain in the butt and hassle that taxis would start getting more business.

2 hours ago, Brendan Thomson said:

Having to carry around a physical registration is dumb and antiquated (@america) 

We have computers in our hands

It's fun and cliche to say license and registration, feel free to say it, we don't need a physical version.

Thank you for your suggestion.

yeah i pretend to pass registration for RP value, but end of the day i agree with thomson's comment, and i mean you are going to look it up on the computer anyway

I normally navigate the RP route when taking their details, run their plate if it's in their name I will usually just consider that as their registration. I think instead of 'license and registration' we can say 'license and is this vehicle registered to you?' And at that point when we run the vehicle details we can use their answer to confirm yay/nay

Cool concept but don't think it is something worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

if the I.D had a "screen" or section that would have the registration of the vehicle update depending on what car you were driving I would +1 but i'm iffy on issuing something that people barely carry on them anyway. so from me +1 / -1 it would be a cool a idea if implemented properly. 

Edited by TwoTaDile