Robberies and why they suck, currently.

BrandonM

Robberies have been being used recently to metagame. Person walks in, initiates robbery. Either the robbery doesn't start, and the person knows there are no cops on duty, or it does start and they leave as quickly as they can because now they know cops are on duty.

Lets make them friggin' commit to it. Two minutes of lockpicking animation. You're stuck there. You dont like it? Don't try to rob a store to find out if cops are online.

#stopthemeta

• Like 4

Lets get real here. A two minute animation? If they had to do that, then there would be no RP especially if cops were right around the corner. They'd just be stuck there and cops would just walk in with their guns pointed immediately without any threat to their life. Not only is this just a silly suggestion, but there's no real constructive criticism here. 

How about something where it locks the convenient stores doors as soon as they initiate a robbery for about 2-3 minutes, that way they have full control over their situation however stuck within the store so they can't just use robberies to see if cops are on. 
Now for when there are no cops on duty, that shouldn't matter. Yeah at that current moment there's no cops, but it could be a matter of seconds after he tries to rob it some cops go on duty. 

I don't know, that's just my opinion on this situation though.

• Like 1

How about this. Disable the public notification of a robbary and the notification that tells folks that there aren't enough cops on duty to rob the store. Instead, the person will try to "crack the safe." If there aren't enough cops on duty, after a certain time goes by, they get a notification that they failed to crack the safe. Cops will instantly get a notification of a silent alarm at a store as soon as the civ tries to crack the safe. This way if you have someone trying to meta via server mechanics, they don't automatically know if cops are around or not. This also gives any on duty officer time to arrive on scene which would essentially force the person into still interacting with the cops and not just driving off and cancelling the robbary. 

Edited by AtomicGinger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bret Prozekt [2475] said:

Lets get real here. A two minute animation? If they had to do that, then there would be no RP especially if cops were right around the corner. They'd just be stuck there and cops would just walk in with their guns pointed immediately without any threat to their life. Not only is this just a silly suggestion, but there's no real constructive criticism here. 

How about something where it locks the convenient stores doors as soon as they initiate a robbery for about 2-3 minutes, that way they have full control over their situation however stuck within the store so they can't just use robberies to see if cops are on. 
Now for when there are no cops on duty, that shouldn't matter. Yeah at that current moment there's no cops, but it could be a matter of seconds after he tries to rob it some cops go on duty. 

I don't know, that's just my opinion on this situation though.

Store robberies take 5 minutes to complete. How would locking them in the animation for two minutes affect that?

Secondly, if any of my officers just storm into a convenience store during an active robbery without making verbal contact and negotiating, they're gonna get a size 13 boot up their ass.  No cop is just gonna run into a store because it's within the first two minutes.  Locking them in the animation ensures that they're committing to the robbery. Knowing that it locks you into the animation makes you think "should I do it?" before doing it.  I don't think it's a silly idea at all.  If you want to rob a store, it's gonna take 5 minutes. Two minutes of lockpicking makes sense for a safe.

The doors locking is a pretty good idea, but I think it'd be a lot more work to code for Serpico.  Not saying he wouldn't be able to complete the task, I think that just a quick fix for now and then implementing locking doors could definitely work.

7 hours ago, Bret Prozekt [2475] said:

I like that idea. Especially for when you get these people cancelling the robbery straight after they do it to see if cops are on. Definitely needs to be a way of forcing them in a position where they can't cancel it immediately. They knew full well that it's a robbery point, it tells them as such in the corner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 5:07 PM, AtomicGinger said:

How about this. Disable the public notification of a robbary and the notification that tells folks that there aren't enough cops on duty to rob the store. Instead, the person will try to "crack the safe." If there aren't enough cops on duty, after a certain time goes by, they get a notification that they failed to crack the safe. Cops will instantly get a notification of a silent alarm at a store as soon as the civ tries to crack the safe. This way if you have someone trying to meta via server mechanics, they don't automatically know if cops are around or not. This also gives any on duty officer time to arrive on scene which would essentially force the person into still interacting with the cops and not just driving off and cancelling the robbary. 

I like this idea best, as it would be fun to RP and stops the metagaming, Also the server wide announcement of a robbery doesn't make sense to me.