New player feedback/suggestions

XZiggsX

Hey everybody, I am new in this community after hopping from city to city. So far I am enjoying myself on this server and I want to thank everybody for that!

Now the annoying questions/suggestions, in my limited time here I noticed a few things. The first one (and it could be that I am missing it) is that there is no /me {text} command. Which is weird IMO. I am* a fairly heavy RP person (*strive to be) and not being able to do some interactions, like "/me slowly reaches for gun" is real a shame.

Secondly, there seems to be no local OOC chat. This on itself is no problem but I've had multiple cases where somebody would VOIP to me "Hey man OOC for a second" which.... is really dumb and un-immersive. I get that these people don't wanna fill up global OOC (banter) chat with personal remarks so they feel the need to do it VOIP. Would be nice to have LOOC chat. IMO

Yeah well those were all of the suggestions. I would like to say that all of the above are my personal issues and ideals, could be that they are different from the vision you guys have for this server.

I got some comments on the cops and medic RP too but those might be a bit controversial so I'll leave them out of this 'nice' topic. Just PM if you're interested (haha who am I kidding).

Thanks for reading the post guys and I would love to hear some opinions!

Kind regards,

XZiggsX (Benjamin Smid)

Edited by XZiggsX
Grammar mistakes (the ones I noticed)
  • Thanks 1

Hey hey welcome to badlands! (again :P)

I like the idea about the /me command, i know its been suggested a few times already, I hope it gets implemented!

I hope you give this server a chance because the people behind it are awesome, and the community is great, hope to see you around :)

Flori - (Lili Vegas)

• Like 1

We don't have a /me command because we don't want people to rely too heavily on text for RP. While I do agree that it would be beneficial in certain circumstances, we also don't want to open the doorway for hostile initiation over text.

Your gun example, for instance, could lead to another player shooting you and claiming self defense. Meanwhile, you could argue that just because you put your hand on your gun doesn't mean you were going to fire it, since you never pointed it at him. There's simply too much ambiguity.

If we were to add a /me command, it would likely be attached to a rule that states no hostile initiation can be performed over text. This, of course, would probably result in a lot of reports/bans since most people don't read the rules and assume they can use it for hostility. For now I think it's easier to just rely on voice.

As far as local ooc, we actually do have it, it's just unlabeled. Typing without a /command will send your text locally (we could probably afford to clarify this a bit, or add its own command)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, speed said:

We don't have a /me command because we don't want people to rely too heavily on text for RP. While I do agree that it would be beneficial in certain circumstances, we also don't want to open the doorway for hostile initiation over text.

Your gun example, for instance, could lead to another player shooting you and claiming self defense. Meanwhile, you could argue that just because you put your hand on your gun doesn't mean you were going to fire it, since you never pointed it at him. There's simply too much ambiguity.

If we were to add a /me command, it would likely be attached to a rule that states no hostile initiation can be performed over text. This, of course, would probably result in a lot of reports/bans since most people don't read the rules and assume they can use it for hostility. For now I think it's easier to just rely on voice.

As far as local ooc, we actually do have it, it's just unlabeled. Typing without a /command will send your text locally (we could probably afford to clarify this a bit, or add its own command)

Ahh thanks for the LOOC explanation.

as far as the /me goes. I don't think people would use it to textRP, it's more of a supportive tool anyway. While I do get the concerns of failRP or things like this, TO ME it feels like that is more of a trust issue than a real problem. I mean we got bald new people shooting up streets, I think the people who use the /me command won't get to that level of problematic. Then again, that is my personal opinion on the matter. Having more tools to display what you are doing or trying to do is useful with the limited amount of animations in GTA in general.

I would like to say, give it another think. And if it doesn't suit the vision. Don't do it. I think its unfair to say that the community can't handle it. The people who don't like it, don't use it. And if you type something like "lays hand on gun" you shouldn't get mad if you are shot. You yourself made the choice to share this detail.

but once again, not my server, not my choice. Just felt like sharing my thoughts on the matter.

• Like 1

I had no clue about the text been local if no /OOC is used. It's good to hear that because if you just need to OOC in local typing something like "*ooc*My mic got unplugged wait a second" could be good and less spam server wide.

When it comes to OOC, many times you will see players asking basic questions about how to do things like use blinkers, but many others ask things that could be done in character like "How do you cook meth", I think that changes what could be some RP into meta. I don't do chat-policing but from time to time I see some that do. Not sure what's the administration point of view regarding all of that.  If you ask me, I wish ooc was by default local and /global or similar was server wide.

30 minutes ago, Tomas García said:

I had no clue about the text been local if no /OOC is used. It's good to hear that because if you just need to OOC in local typing something like "*ooc*My mic got unplugged wait a second" could be good and less spam server wide.

When it comes to OOC, many times you will see players asking basic questions about how to do things like use blinkers, but many others ask things that could be done in character like "How do you cook meth", I think that changes what could be some RP into meta. I don't do chat-policing but from time to time I see some that do. Not sure what's the administration point of view regarding all of that.  If you ask me, I wish ooc was by default local and /global or similar was server wide.

U know is there a command / job list on this forum? I myself haven't found any. It might be usefull to create one post filled with the noob info, with links to all important posts? as in, read this and all your problems will go away? (link to rules too etc)