Purge Night?

Mr Morphiuss

What does everyone think about every so often having a server "Purge Night".  I mean your mind can wander as to what that entails. I would think the crux of it would be for that one night the lights go out and there are no laws. I would think this could open up a whole new level of RP. Just running through potential scenarios in my thoughts it really seems like there would be a ton of possibilities for that night.

Post your thoughts if you think it would be a good idea or not. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I have participated in a purge event before on another server (albeit one with bigger guns) and it went very well. Alliances were made, police stations were secured, raided, and secured again, it was great. The fact that Badlands has no guns bigger than pistols would assist in actual roleplay occurring as opposed to everybody running around with ARs, shooting everybody with a number over their head.

However, there are some flaws I can see with the purge event. The biggest one being that, due to the abandonment of police SOP, everybody with an LSPD whitelist will be running around with a shotgun and/or SMG, giving LEOs a massive leg up, since the server mechanics forbid non-LEOs accessing the police stations' armories.

All in all, I'd love to see something like this on Badlands, so long as something can be done in regards to LEO advantage.

45 minutes ago, Victor Lee said:

and that they’re not allowed to be hurt.

I disagree. This is the purge; this is chaos. It would be a dick move to kill them, but it should be permitted. Of course, they could carry weapons on them--there's no rules, after all--but they shouldn't be immune.

IMO this could go two ways:

A) Make it a special event (maybe once in a while) where the map would be reduced to a small area. Blackout, no emergency services available at all, it's the fight for survival, if you die you die. Nothing on inventory, start with low health/hunger/thirst, you have to find resources and possibly fight for them, all in RP. (I get the whole meaning of the purge, but tbh if it is just kill to kill with no purpose i feel like there will be very few actual interactions)

B) Once in a while on the prod servers a blackout happens when all Emergency services are disrupted (like if you are clocked on as PD or EMS your menus get cancelled, no access to mechanics, etc), when the chaos starts whatever happens happens, but whitelisted players would still be on duty and be part of that situation in their roles.

1 hour ago, Flori said:

IMO this could go two ways:

A) Make it a special event (maybe once in a while) where the map would be reduced to a small area. Blackout, no emergency services available at all, it's the fight for survival, if you die you die. Nothing on inventory, start with low health/hunger/thirst, you have to find resources and possibly fight for them, all in RP. (I get the whole meaning of the purge, but tbh if it is just kill to kill with no purpose i feel like there will be very few actual interactions)

B) Once in a while on the prod servers a blackout happens when all Emergency services are disrupted (like if you are clocked on as PD or EMS your menus get cancelled, no access to mechanics, etc), when the chaos starts whatever happens happens, but whitelisted players would still be on duty and be part of that situation in their roles.

+1 I like these ideas. 

I like the idea of a purge, I'm just afraid it would get too toxic I don't know.

I think the only way this would be done is if it's easily implemented without much coding/dev work required. Possibly done on the dev server so that the normal servers aren't disrupted and those who want to continue doing RP could choose the appropriate server(s) (possible "server 2" that shuts down at 2AM EST could become a "Purge Night" server for a few hours that admins monitor).

The way it'd work, imo, would be to make certain zones "non-kill zones", like hospitals where people respawn. The respawn timer would change, it would be like after 20-30 seconds you automatically go to the light and you lose all items. All weapons would be obtainable through other players who die/drop them, or through NPC's that would no longer not fight back. There has to be some way to get weapons without repurchasing all the time. 

Same vehicle restrictions that we have now (no military vehicles, no fighter jets, etc), but for regular NPC vehicles wouldn't need to be lockpicked.

Even though this would be a purge night where all violence is allowed, there is still a semblance of order/rules that need to be followed to make it fair (can't camp spawn points as an example, can't exploit things that aren't known or accounted for ahead of time in order to gain an advantage). And because it's potentially very hectic, admins would still have to enforce rules via kicks/bans, and that could get hard to do with so much to monitor.

Personally, I'd be willing to give it a shot and see how it goes.

• Like 3

What about a zombie infestation for a few days or a week or whatever? I have no clue if this is something that would be too difficult to even create so I apologize for my ignorance on the matter of programming this in. As Flori suggested low health and hunger and food for starters to make everyone go out and about as opposed to hiding out. Would be cool if this could be done and then maybe it could work like an on/off switch if you ever wanted to do it again. I'm a HUGE zombie fan =O)

• 2 weeks later...