Bank Ownership / Bank Teller Job (BLRP 2.0)

Sam

A bank should be able to be owned by a player and the owner will be able to put fund out of they're own money into the bank. 

A big way banks make revenue is by giving out loans to customers, In badlands 2.0 I would like to see the banking system have a teller job. A bank teller will be able to give out loans to customers.

There will be 2 types of loans (House and Car) there can maybe be more these are just basics. 

House Mortgage - A house mortgage is used to help pay for a house and then the customer pays the bank back monthly over a period of time with interest. Let's say a lower tier house is 650,000 and the customer is unable to pay for the house. To get qualified for a loan they need to apply by proving that they have a good track record with paying off debt or showing a healthy income to the owner of the bank. If you get qualified for a 600,000$ loan it comes out of the banks funds. Now the players can agree on a interest rate usually around 2.25%-4.00% and also how often mortgage payments will be made and how large. If a customer successfully pays off all payments to the bank they will own the house but the only loss is how much they paid in interest. If a customer misses a certain amount of mortgage payments the bank will reach out to a company that repossesses properties and they will take the house back. In this scenario the bank profits off how much the customer paid in their mortgage and they have legally foreclosed the house now. 

Car Loan - A car loan works very similar to a house mortgage accept they usually have slightly higher interest rates and are generally easier to pay off. A person that wants a car for 100,000$ would go to an open bank to try to petition for a loan. After meeting with a bank teller or the bank manager (owner). They can agree on weather the customer can be trusted with a loan and if so how the loan will work. This is just an example and I want to make sure this is as unscripted as possible so tellers will be able to change all the information like loan size, age, and interest rate. If you agree to pay for a 100,000$ loan over 2 weeks with 3 loans a week. That means there will be 6 loans of 16,666. Now if you factor interest you would actually make 6 payments of 17,666 with a 6% interest rate leaving the bank with 6,000$ profit after 2 weeks. If the payee fails to pay the car can be repossessed and they would no longer have ownership of the car and have no way of receiving their money back.

Saving Accounts common accounts include (Regular savings and certificated of deposit)

Certificate of deposit - A certificate of deposit allow a person to make money of ARY (Annual Rate Yield) which is the amount a bank gives it's customer in interest. A CD can be set up by a bank teller for a rate that is controlled by the government. What a CD does is it freezes the money in an account and allows it to accumulate interest over a longer period of time. The money will be unaccessable until the CD is over. If a owner decides to terminate a CD earlier they will be charged a 10% fee that goes to the bank funds. If the CD customer can hold the urge of accessing the money they will make a percentage back over a period of time. A bank teller will need to be present to set up a CD and the customer will need to have sufficient funds.

Regular Saving - The purpose of having a saving account is to put money in there so it can accumulate interest. A saving account is like the title used to save money. You can deposit money into your saving account but in order to withdrawal it you will need to transfer it to your checking account. You will only be allowed to transfer money from your saving to your checking 6 times every statement period (2 weeks) If you transfer money more than 6 times you will be charged a fee that will go to the bank that opened your savings funds. Money in a savings account will accumulate less interest than a CD but it will still be good for people attempting to save money. 

These are very basic ideas would like some feedback.

Edited by Isaiah Rashad
Added more info
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Serpico and I have never really been fans of this idea. Even in 2.0 I question if it really has a place.

One of the large issues that come with loans like this would be the scaling of the economics. In the real world, a 4% APR mortgage collects interest over the course of 15-30 years. Badlands isn’t going to exist in 30 years, so how do we scale that in-game?

We could have a 4% loan at 15-30 days, where interest is accrued daily (or even hourly), but there are factors in that as well. People work, have lives, etc, and not everyone can dedicate 40 hours a week to Badlands to pay back their loan. What happens if you have to leave town for a family emergency, and your loan is sitting there collecting interest for a week? Suddenly it’s as if you haven’t paid your mortgage for 7 years, and that’s a lot of interest. You potentially just cost yourself another 500k for that apartment you just bought.

How many people are going to want to keep playing after that?

The CD idea is the exact opposite. Putting a relatively small amount of money away, and because of time scaling, you make a massive profit off of it in a short amount of time. It would break the economy.

There’s a lot to consider, and a lot that could go wrong. I’m just not entirely sure it’s a good idea.

I would love to run a loan system in my bank, the only issue is collecting debt. Since all characters have the same bank account, I can't give you a loan,  you delete the character I loaned money to, and then never pay me back. 

How do I collect? It would be rdm to break the legs of another character that has the money. 

This is why I started taking investments that payed out a % over time. This way nobody losses, I get RP and players get $$$. 

Unless it was ban-able for exploiting out of a loan, or if the gov enforced debt and was able to siezed property for collection, I will not start giving out loans. 

• Like 1

Really nice idea but not sure of the finer details of collecting payments as discussed above. Cool idea though. I kinda like the idea of having a car on finance you pay daily or something..and if you don’t pay the car gets repossessed. Again though not sure how it would work with collecting the money through the current banking system.

Yea @Merr Khan I understand how hard it is to collect money from people. I still currently have 4.2 million out on loan but what can I do about it. There is no way to seize there cars for myself or forcefully get them to pay me my money. Currently the only thing you can do is hope that the person you loan to is not a snake.

• Like 2

@r3v0Lt55 That's why I stick to "giving" money away, paying really high wages for pure RP work. Even when a player comes in the bank, asking for a loan, I steer them in the direction of Investment banking. Complete RP, and the payout is based on a dice roll. 

The house always loses.....

Point is, I never feel bad, or get burnt.