2.0 Etiquette

Serena

I think it just comes down to being more creative with the development of your character and acting in a more ‘realistic way’ and actually RPing and creating story lines, rather than 5 people standing around discussing how good the new series is that they are watching on Netflix. I think it’s important to remember we are all here to have fun and enjoy some good RP and actually get to know the characters in the city..not the person behind the screen. 

The main thing I would to see is people act more appropriately and go along with RP, hopefully this will be sorted in 2.0. I’ve seen so many people just straight up fail RP that it becomes really annoying. Granted some people are new to the city..but others are people who should know better really and have a good idea of RP and the basics of what it involves. I can think of 1 example off the top of my head which I found difficult to deal with afterwards and was rather frustrated.

My buddy was being arrested up at sandy shores PD for disobeying a police order. I was watching from the highway and an officer took him into the station by himself. I pulled up outside the PD and snuck through the door, pulled my weapon on him and shouted something along the lines of ‘Throw your radio on the floor and don’t (censor) move’. The officer then calls over his radio that he is being taken hostage, while he has a gun pointed at his temple. Now..I was going to just shoot him but I was so annoyed by such a horrific fail RP of a scenario that I had been setting up for 10 minutes that I just ran out the door and drove off. Obviously we good of made quite a good scenario from that which I was excited about doing, but just felt rather deflated afterwards.

My point here is that we can have all the best and most exciting tools at our disposal but it is up to us as the residents of the city to put far more effort into RP at every scenario and making RP a fun and realistic experience for everyone involved. Like I say I think 2.0 will be an improvement in the quality of RP we get and I am highly looking forward to it. Driving off a bridge at 165 mph and recking into the front of a store and then driving off shouting ‘woohoo’ will hopefully be a thing of the past (maybe!).

13 hours ago, Serena said:

Can we stick to this point, please?

Wasn’t a complaint by any means. Was simply stating an area in which we as a community can improve, which I feel to be an improvement to all of our RP. Part of my post was an example of an RP scenario which could be improved upon as we enter 2.0.

Anyway, moving on.

4 hours ago, Mr Chow said:

Wasn’t a complaint by any means. Was simply stating an area in which we as a community can improve, which I feel to be an improvement to all of our RP. Part of my post was an example of an RP scenario which could be improved upon as we enter 2.0.

Anyway, moving on.

Yeah but the issue is you're bringing up 1 side of a story that all officers here are reading and shaking their heads, since you are making comments about something you don't understand.

I want to stay on topic, and if your suggestion is to be more realistic with roleplay, then let's talk about that in ways we can definitely adjust, rather than open a discussion about police SOP's.

An example of being better about realistic roleplay, to me, is to actually value your life. Think about if you had a gun pointed to you in real life, and how that'd make you feel, or really get into the mindset behind your character and how they'd react. Additionally, this goes the other way as well. No one would just bear arms over something so petty as hitting on another man's wife. Quite frankly it's the easy way out of reacting to an RP scenario brought to you. Too many delicate egos, and I think it shuts down opportunities for roleplay rather than open them. I'd much rather see a fist fight.

Edited by Serena
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, Serena said:

Yeah but the issue is you're bringing up 1 side of a story that all officers here are reading and shaking their heads, since you are making comments about something you don't understand.

I want to stay on topic, and if your suggestion is to be more realistic with roleplay, then let's talk about that in ways we can definitely adjust, rather than open a discussion about police SOP's.

An example of being better about realistic roleplay, to me, is to actually value your life. Think about if you had a gun pointed to you in real life, and how that'd make you feel, or really get into the mindset behind your character and how they'd react. Additionally, this goes the other way as well. No one would just bear arms over something so petty as hitting on another man's wife. Quite frankly it's the easy way out of reacting to an RP scenario brought to you. Too many delicate egos, and I think it shuts down opportunities for roleplay rather than open them. I'd much rather see a fist fight.

How it might affect us IRL to have a gun to our heads may be a different perspective than our "characters" thoughts. Most of the time people are intimidated by having a gun aimed at their head - others want the person to pull the trigger, and some are simply using it as a "you won't do it, you're too weak minded." situation, almost as a form of asserting dominance in a given situation - this is hard to control; and i do understand the magnitude of people who have that "do it, you wont" attitude; that needs to change so i am in agreement that people should actually fear for their lives; I do however want to state that this shouldn't be the outcome of every situation, as that'd really put a damper on RP; all for a rule (Which, once again is understandable.) but in the light of a whitelisted server; there should be room for people to behave a bit differently towards situations. (Am i saying they should be able to John Wick the situation by pulling a gun and returning fire upon initiation when they are clearly outnumbered/already have a gun to their head?) No. I'm saying people will express themselves differently and should (and hopefully will) live up to their character. and hopefully, there are multiple different characters with different personalities and attitudes. Because from experience; and i too am guilty of this in the past; everybody seems to have a 10 foot appendage when it comes to these kinds of situations.  This is a hard issue to address even in a whitelisted situation because it'd be the "beginning days" of it all.  So my word to those of you who read this; Remain professional, understand it's RP. have a good time and sometimes we don't always win. Let bygones be bygones. And if you happen to be threatened to be killed; Just act scared for once (to those of you who haven't.) I literally sang justin beiber to save the life of a fellow LEO in the past; That's embarrassing, but it had to be done.  

TLDR; I agree that people should fear for their lives more; but i feel like there should be some room given to people whose characters have that "villian/psychopath/evil/don't give a damn" mentality.

Edited by Jeffrey Will
Correction of words.

I agree 100% with serena about the delicate egos. Too many people want to win when guns get pulled and don't realize that "valuing your life" doesnt mean you need to cower in fear and be 100% compliant. Rufus is a combat war veteran and former POW with lots of experience having guns aimed at him. If i have 3 guys with guns aimed at my head, yes I'm going to comply. But i'm also probably going to call them a bunch of cowards and talk about how i've seen 12 year old viet congs that were tougher. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

the hole bodycamming/live stream thing needs to be brung up in sironton circumstances e.g if a officer is training someone and discussing sops i tell them beforehand privately so i don't stream or stay out the way when they are discussing them so they know to avoid me or if on scene together we both are aware yes it's kinda immersion brakeing but it saves the sops being openly talked about or shown on stream for any viawers new and old who play in the city finding them out  thats why i normally bring out the hole body camming thing 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that comes up time and time again that I think we should work on is referring to someone else's other character as if they're supposed to know each other. If it's known that your other character is your sibling/cousin/parent/child, I get it. For me, it's immersion breaking when people say, hey have you met, (insert name here)? No? Maybe you've met (insert player's other character's name here)?

That's like going up to someone and saying, have you met Michael Jordan? No? Maybe you've met Tom Brady? They two people are each professional athletes, yes, but that's where the similarities end. 

When someone is playing a different race, gender, demeanor, way they speak... There is no guarantee that they've met someone else in the city of Los Santos, which according to the wiki, has a population of 4 million. 

Also, a tag along to head issues. Try and be creative when it comes to explaining that you're going to be afk. Walk around the corner and take a phone call. Go find a park bench and rest your eyes. Pull out the classic /em mobile and be so engrossed in the game of candy crush that you tune everything else out. 

Just my 2¢

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 4:38 AM, Serena said:

Another suggestion: Streamers who are actively live streaming BL should not be somehow making other civilians aware of this fact in any way! It's immersion-breaking, imo, and it's 9/10 brought up for the wrong reasons.

I can definitely agree here. As a streamer myself I couldn't begin to count how many times someone said, "Bro I'll pull footage from my body cam." I'm sure that I have even said it as well.

I will say this going forward, I feel like the Video from streams should not be used in the city except to report someone for clearly breaking the rules and the report should come from the streamer themselves. Too many people use streams as "Nanny Cams" to report the streamer for doing something they don't like. It got extremely old as I had to deal with it myself many times because someone didn't like a choice that my character made in the city. I never got banned or in trouble because the choices I made were not against the rules they were judgement calls made based off the rules I had to follow. This is why I think the streams video should ONLY be used (by the streamer) to report someone breaking the rules and not used for any other discipline reason or help in a police investigation.

• Like 2

Do people not IRL stream? In my opinion, I think that streams are totally up for grabs. If you advertise it in the discord, then, free game. If you don't, then no. I see no issue with using your body cam footage against you or others. I don't think it's immersion breaking whatsoever. How many VLOGS are on YouTube, how many World Star videos are out there. People record stuff all the time and put it on the internet. I think it's more immersion breaking if it's ignored tbh. The GTAV wiki states that the pop of the city is about 4 mil. There's bound to be a website where you can see what people are doing around the city.

29 minutes ago, Noob said:

Do people not IRL stream? In my opinion, I think that streams are totally up for grabs. If you advertise it in the discord, then, free game. If you don't, then no. I see no issue with using your body cam footage against you or others. I don't think it's immersion breaking whatsoever. How many VLOGS are on YouTube, how many World Star videos are out there. People record stuff all the time and put it on the internet. I think it's more immersion breaking if it's ignored tbh. The GTAV wiki states that the pop of the city is about 4 mil. There's bound to be a website where you can see what people are doing around the city.

You are 100% correct there are tons of VLOGs and IRL Streams and the only time it is used to report someone is when they break the rules/law. Too many times clips from streams were used in Badlands to report someone not for breaking any rules but because they did something they didn't agree with. This is a headache for the admins or moderation team. I know that I previously stated only allowing the streamer to use their video for the purpose of submitting a clip of someone breaking the rules but this was more to limit the amount of crap that gets flooded to the mod team.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 9:02 PM, Noob said:

If this is the way it was actually being used, sure. I have a character myself that is an actress and talks all the time about being in films, etc. I also am streaming usually during those times, however, I get an entire camera crew, I have actual roleplay surrounding this storyline. As I said before, I personally have never seen anyone else use the comments of "bodycam" or however else you want to refer to it as anything other than a mention of their OOC stream. It's not used the way you're suggesting, but the way you are is the only place I see it being viable.

Edited by Serena
  • Like 1