I thought you were supposed to value your own life?

Paul Jenkins

• Serpico locked and unlocked this topic

There have been a lot of discussions on the forums regarding this with a variety of views.  Most simply put, no defending yourself is not against the rules but at the same time you do need to value you life.  It's a bit subjective which is why we ask that if you question it that you report it.  We have some people who RP these scenarios out really well.. others just say 'kill me so a medic an revive me and I loose nothing'.  It's the later that the 'value your life rule' targets.   Usually, if I can, I'll try to fight back.  If the robber has great RP then I don't mind giving some money up.

• Like 5

@Paul Jenkins You can only control how you act in these situations, Do you best to follow the rules and have fun with your RP. If other players don't value their life, it's sad, but you can't stop it. Some people just don't care. Re-try on someone else, you will find those willing to put in the effort on getting robbed.

Here are some clips of player robberies going both ways. 

#1. How to get robbed - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218903903 - Follow orders and you will be fine, as long as they are not unreasonable orders. If an opportunity arises to flee or fight it is up to you to attempt it or not. (in this Video it did not, and i had a lot of weed on me... so i played it safe) 

- Another time being taken hostage were an opportunity did arise for me to flee. https://clips.twitch.tv/FairDepressedAlpacaPermaSmug   

#2. How not to get robbed - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218978296 - They chose to fight and it ended up costing them their lives. Fine the way the second guy did it, I gave him an opening to attempt to fight back or stay put and be safe. He chose to fight and ended up dead too. It could have gone better for them.   

-Here is an example were value to life was not observed by some of the hostages, resulting in multiple casualties. - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218914203 

(Fyi - i don't talk in game after going down in this one, just to stream^)

Edited by Merr Kahn
  • Like 2

Ok hold on.

First of all a response when a person is in real threat can vary from running away screaming to being in total shock not saying anything or moving at all.

Regulars know our characters, Bill and Lill do not carry firearms, nor do they know how to protect themselves.
But the times that we have been robbed in clear daylight in the middle of the city with dozens of witnesses, which in itself you can consider fail RP is plenty.
HANDS UP, SHUT UP, GIVE ME ALL YOUR STUFF - and off they go. That to me does not sound inspirational, creative and pretty easy to 'rp'.

99 percent of the time people run after a stick up like that. The best we can do is go to the police after and accept we lost the stuff we worked hours for.
In that case I barf at the whole value for life aspect. Really. It's silly. We will run, refuse, just say no or freeze.
Because what about our experience being robbed 4 times in a day. Hi, here get our stuff, ty for not killing us, bye.

We decided we will reward criminals when they also give an experience to us. Because what's the value of RP for us in such a situation.
It is funny to me that some individuals moaning about this, are more talking about power, control, and selfish RP in my book.
Then actually caring about the others players value for life or the community for that matter.

If one decides to take the easy route, buy a gun walk up to people that grind and work, to get their stuff by shouting and threatening, I do not feel sorry if it doesn't work out.
Maybe you should find a role that enhances the experience for the whole community, not just yourself.
Because if you ask me there is a difference between actually RP'ing a criminal, giving other players an experience, a story to bite into.
Or just running around mugging people. 20 sec RP where you have all the fun.

At this point you can try to rob us in the 20sec fun fashion, which for some reason most crooks do not consider weak or fail rp.
But we will not comply. This does not mean we do not value our lives, the opposite, we value it so much we also actually want to have some fun having one.

I am not talking about this specific situation or person, it is not personally adressed to any player. But a general fact for us.
I tried with Bill to set up some RP after those robbings like contacting people for soft vigilante or info and what not but really... no.

So that's how we feel about it after being on the server for over half a year daily. 
Value for life? Sure! Value for our gameplay and fun? Even more so.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 4:29 AM, Str84it said:

If one decides to take the easy route, buy a gun walk up to people that grind and work, to get their stuff by shouting and threatening, I do not feel sorry if it doesn't work out.
Maybe you should find a role that enhances the experience for the whole community, not just yourself.

I don't think you are thinking of the perspective of the robber here. Lets say the robber gets to the gold merchant the second you get to the gold mines with a van. here is what the robber has to do during this time, then what the person has to do during this time

Robber: They have to make sure the car is completely undamaged (not that hard/, then, they have to find a place to be without looking suspicious. After that, they have to be constantly on the lookout for an unknown amount of time, waiting for someone to start selling, then they have to predict when to go up for a good amount of money, while making sure the victim wont be done selling. Then, they have to convince them to ACTUALLY give them money, then get away without being shot, and ride around for 5 mins before they can change.

Victim: They get to the gold mines with their van, and they get themselves situated. Next, they pull up a video, and look every now-and-then to make sure they don't have a full inventory, or someone is there trying to RP with them. After that, they have to drive to the refinery, still watching a video while refining. After that, they go to the merchant, and sell. (then get robbed if someone is going to/ 

So, as you can see, its not as easy as driving and robbing someone,(at-least, when i do it/ there is actual planning, and work to be had. 

sorry for using "/" my end parenthesis key doesn't work

Edited by Paul Jenkins
punctuation error
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paul Jenkins said:

Robber: They have to make sure the car is completely undamaged (not that hard/, then, they have to find a place to be without looking suspicious. After that, they have to be constantly on the lookout for an unknown amount of time, waiting for someone to start selling, then they have to predict when to go up for a good amount of money, while making sure the victim wont be done selling. Then, they have to convince them to ACTUALLY give them money, then get away without being shot, and ride around for 5 mins before they can change.

Yes but i think you missed his point, i mean if your putting that much time into setting up your robbery (most people dont , just drive up to peach dealer etc and straight up rob them no matter what ) Then u can put the effort into making it a better rp robbery ex: make your dude nervous as hell , needing to pay medical bills for his gramma w/e ,but not just a gimme all your stuff if not bang.No rp value in that kinda roberry and i would hope thats not what we are all here for. You want ppl to complie, make it worth the interaction . But on the flip side yes there are ppl that no matter how much rp you put into it they will just say f it and in my experience those are the same ppl that will do the botched rp robberys. My 2 cents ,make it fun for both sides and you might get better results .

• Like 4

Thanks for the response Paul.

I am not saying doing a successful robbery does not take up any time, concerning planning or otherwise. As a matter of fact i support that all the way. Make it a fun thing to do for yourself.
Like the immersion that comes with that. Being a criminal is a valid lifestyle in my book.

I suppose the frustration arrives at the point where our paths intertwine and that's where Dars makes a valid point for me.
I can imagine it's not easy to RP a robbery well. I mean to be creative within a situation where you literally control a scene and decide what kind of experience everyone involved has.
Same goes for Police or any authority in any situation. But the basic idea is that you can not please everyone, but you at least try to give an experience within an action you are doing.
Preferably an experience that last longer then 20 sec and does not only play the aces out of your own book of cards :)

If you give me a chance to respond outside of the realm of shutting up with my hands up. I will listen to your story. Hell I might be sympathetic to your cause and offer you a better paying job instead. 
To my experience the best role play situation happens when you give every person involved  a chance to shine. 

• Like 1