Vehicle Repair Kits - OP?

Merr Khan

This is all IMO in a perfect world.... 

So I wanted to make a topic on the Vehicle Repair Kit item. I feel like they tend to remove the need to drive like a normal person. Not just the repair kits but the whole garage, and server reset system for vehicle maintenance. Yes it cost money to pull a car out, but is that really enough for a tow from were ever you left it, and repairs if its totaled? 

Is there any way to remove the free repair (pressing E on totaled car) and make the Vehicle Repair Kit work like the free repair, 1/2 fix it, Get it rolling. Or just repairs engine but not cosmetics? Then to fully fix a vehicle it would have to go to a shop (LS custom) and get it fixed for X amount of $$$ (Base value of vehicle Xs Amount of dmg). 

This costing the same to repair a $300 Panto as it does to fix a $6 million super car makes no scenes, and does not promote healthy driving or any form of Value for property. With the addition of really expensive cars, it looks like absolute shit to see people effectively trash them for no reason at all. A totaled 6 million dollar car should cost Hundreds of thousands to fix, not $150..... 

When a majority of players are driving around recklessly 24/7 it makes for poor RP.  I guarantee that if a totaled car cost a base value Xs dmg % to fix, People will be less likely to wreck their car or just drop their car wherever they are and leave. Expensive cars out on the street will be rare, like they should be, and treated with respect. Even the avid panto owner might think more about destroying their car.... yah right. 

And before anyone says, "But what if someone else blows my car up?" If they do it for no other reason then its a game. Submit a report and they will get banned for disruptive behavior.     

If you run from the cops, for no other reason then it's a video game, and get away from a $500 ticket, but do $50k+ worth of Dmg to your car, did you really get away? Or for those Gta on-liners who like to go for Stunt Jumps, or Cliffs/Mountains while running from cops. Ok, have fun fixing the car up after. lol   

On top of this there would have to be persistent car condition in garage, you put away a totaled car it comes out totaled. Same when police impound, or server reset. If its wrecked, its wrecked. This will also help solve a lot of the power gaming issues. You want to drive top speed, straight line, like a maniac while running cargo go ahead. The repairs to your car will cost more then your making. So drive normally... 

• Like 4

I partially agree with this, i think the free repair of a totaled car should be removed, and maybe the price of repair kits upped, my only issue with having to take it to a shop everytime is most of the time when my car gets damaged is a local slams into the back of me or just randomly side swiped me and it would be pretty frustrating to have to go to a shop everytime a local derps out. Persistent condition of the car in the garage is a good idea if that coding is possible.

*stops the car*

I agree With both opinions here. I like the idea of the repair system being revamped after tow system comes in. 
And I understand the realism aspect. On the other had like stated above. - We might drive carefull to avoid these costs but the rest of the city does not.
I do not want to be afraid to take one of my supercars out because of local driving skills. And then having to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (which lets face it, takes enough work).
Because of AI handling of traffic as an example. Yes supercars might be rare, depending where you live. And I agree on the topic, just not to that extend.

Furthermore does that type of damage/cost scaling offer a great way to trolling. 'Oh a super car eh, let me trash it with my banto'
Are you going to report a player that claims by high and low it was an accident? You might give him/her the benefit of the doubt, either way your account is quickly  $ depleted.
It takes some effort to be able to afford a car like that, you do not want to make the fearlevel so high that people are too paralyzed to actually use it :) 

Bottomline - all very true, repairsystems and tools need to be reevaluated in the light of towing, garages, value, game experience, community involvement.~
But not to that extend that it starts limiting player experiences, rather adding to it.

*fills his radiator and drives off*

2 hours ago, Str84it said:

*stops the car*

I agree With both opinions here. I like the idea of the repair system being revamped after tow system comes in. 
And I understand the realism aspect. On the other had like stated above. - We might drive carefull to avoid these costs but the rest of the city does not.
I do not want to be afraid to take one of my supercars out because of local driving skills. And then having to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (which lets face it, takes enough work).
Because of AI handling of traffic as an example. Yes supercars might be rare, depending where you live. And I agree on the topic, just not to that extend.

Furthermore does that type of damage/cost scaling offer a great way to trolling. 'Oh a super car eh, let me trash it with my banto'
Are you going to report a player that claims by high and low it was an accident? You might give him/her the benefit of the doubt, either way your account is quickly  $ depleted.
It takes some effort to be able to afford a car like that, you do not want to make the fearlevel so high that people are too paralyzed to actually use it :) 

Bottomline - all very true, repairsystems and tools need to be reevaluated in the light of towing, garages, value, game experience, community involvement.~
But not to that extend that it starts limiting player experiences, rather adding to it.

*fills his radiator and drives off*

There definitely would have to be a middle ground. $100k repairs would not be the way to go, but I like many if the ideas presented as a place to start on improvements. Can't wait to see what they come up with when tow trucks are introduced.

I really like the idea that you can't fully repair your car with a repair kit because it basically does not make any sense.

14 hours ago, D. Torretto said:

It's good but why would someone want to feel punished on a video game when they are only playing to have fun? I get maybe max 10k to repair a super car, but 100,000+ seems excessive and just too much restriction on the player that isn't fun nor the experience reputable.

But like Dom said, 100k for a car repair is pretty brutal. It's roughly +3h of grinding with trucking for example and I don't want to use that much time to grind just because a crazy local scraped my door.

Guys, I'm not proposing a $100k flat rate every time for every car. That's the hypothetical projected cost of a totaled 6 million dollar car.

A panto will never be more then $500, cause that's what a new one costs. But for that money you get all your upgrades fixed too.

Remember I said Base value of vehicle (X's) amount of dmg taken. 

Examples-

$500k car takes 40% dmg - (40% dmg means 4% base value of vehicle - Up to 10% for a 100% totaled vehicle) - So $500k with 40% dmg = 500k * .04 = $20,000 repair.

now this math can be adjusted to lower % but the formula is the same.  

So lets say the % is half that - $500k car with 60% dmg = 3% base value repair = 500,000 * .03 = $15,000

Now with that formula lets see what the most expensive super car looks like - 6,000,000 car - 20% dmg = 6m * .01 = $60,000 repair  - (now lets look at 90% dmg - 6m * .045 = $270,000)

You don't total a car in this game unless you drive like an asshole so the argument is moot about it not being your fault. A little scratch wont cost much so that's no big deal. 

The main reason i made this post was because i asked if the Devs. if they could make vehicle impact rag-doll you on head on collisions greater then 80mph. It can't be done, this is an alternative to make people value their lives while driving and value their property. This idea of vehicle repair cost is more then reasonable for an RP server.     

-With no risk there is no reward- 

Edited by Merr Kahn
  • Like 2