Criminal rp lacking

Kilo

As a (i mostly only do police work) i have noticed a strong decline in illegal activitys , police patrols have lately become mediocre at best. not saying that ppl i have dealt with recently are blah ,just stating that the overall lack of legit criminals have seen to be mia .Since i dont ever do the criminal aspect , im curious and would like some feedback , good or bad of why this has changed  . ex: are the penaltys too heavy? is there no real reward to rp a criminal?, or do some ppl feel like pd is too heavy handed?? i sincerly would like yalls imput , good or bad -thank you -Kilo Woods

• Like 5

From my standpoint, I think it's rather that people choose to scuba dive as it has a higher payout than all the illegals drugs so people prefire doing it if they want money. Because as the matter of the fact making money by drugs is not really that interesting or funny so when they know that they are going to grind either way I think most people would just prefire the biggest payout. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the direction you're coming from because I don't see a lack of gun/fight calls and shootouts does happen here and there. So I don't think that it's the penalties that are too hard but that it's rather not a good enough reward to the criminal based jobs.

• Like 3

I agree with Frank on this one. I do believe most people think the risk/reward of Illegal moneymaking isn't worth the payout & tend to stray from them for that reason. I for one - enjoy making cocaine & participating in other illegal forms of making money because of the risk of it all & the opportunity for good RP. Personally, I try to make my money making experience fun for both myself & PD. I've only ever had a few situations in which I wasn't rewarded for RP - however I can't speak for everyone when I say that. All in all I think it boils down to individuals wanting to make money in the most efficient way they can without a threat to the payout.  As for shootouts & other styles of crime RP I cant say much as that's not what I participate in but I'd imagine it comes down to the potential Jail/Fines that come along with being caught. 

• Like 3

Personally for me, I don't really care if I would make more money scuba diving, I enjoy the criminal activities on my criminal character and do it with the understanding that I will probably get caught and I will probably get fined. I use my EMS / PD character to help fund the fines I will incur. Izzy is always causing trouble, I love interacting with most cops! But I agree, when I've been on PD duty lately, it has been pretty slow. 

• Like 1

i have one character who is into the illegal activities, but only the peaceful ones (drug making and selling) and she lost a lot of money in fines etc and hasnt made much of it back. its difficult because the bank accounts are shared so I have started just keeping her money on her, and thats all she has in my eyes now. but when the fine for having 6 meth and like $600 dirty money was the same as when she had nearly 70 meth and about $4k dirty money on her... the incentive to put her back in that position of selling diminished. Good RP or not, that character wouldnt be able to function given that the cost of going to jail is $5k and you lose your weapons (in my case $10k)

But yes the payout for criminal activity is not *that* high when you look at the potential fines. but then ultimately the goal is to ensure good RP and not just fat bank balances. I think perhaps a new activity might be fun. I know that Connor was talking about setting up some illegal gambling RP, which I think would be fun, but I would love to see something in game to regularly provide illegally sourced gemstones (diamonds, rubies and sapphires) rather than just obtaining them by diving. Maybe we could add a jewelery store heist at a few of the stores dotted about - i think the biggest one is called Robert Dazzlers?

Edited by Penny Lane
  • Like 1

Not enough criminal activities IMO. The only profitable criminal activity is drugs. Even then, Cocaine is really the only one thats worth it (fuck selling meth for 300 a bag and getting hit with a 10k fine). There needs to be a new criminal activity that is profitable. Hacking, jacking cars for a chop shop, bank heists, jewelry store robbery, mugging locals, anything other than drugs. There are a lot more crimes that are possible than just drugs. Its also due to the fact that police are overpowered. It's the exact reason why many people have left the city. Why bother commiting a big crime when i can only have 3 other people with me and the cops can have up to 7, with armor, shotguns, and MP5s. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gianni Vermicelli said:

Not enough criminal activities IMO. The only profitable criminal activity is drugs. Even then, Cocaine is really the only one thats worth it (fuck selling meth for 300 a bag and getting hit with a 10k fine). There needs to be a new criminal activity that is profitable. Hacking, jacking cars for a chop shop, bank heists, jewelry store robbery, mugging locals, anything other than drugs. There are a lot more crimes that are possible than just drugs. Its also due to the fact that police are overpowered. It's the exact reason why many people have left the city. Why bother commiting a big crime when i can only have 3 other people with me and the cops can have up to 7, with armor, shotguns, and MP5s. 

Here you are wrong. We have Sops that we try to balance it out with civilians. We don't pull the shotgun or mp5 regularly. The combat pistol is shit and u guys rock around in groups of 4 with desert eagles or revolvers. These guys despite being nerfed do heavy damage (with armour) . I have used my shotgun 5 times in 8 months so has nearly everyone else so I wouldn't say we are overpowered what so ever...

Try rock around with 4 people and guns with stores in real life you will be gunned down with ar-15s the second u pop your head up

Edited by ImVexal

yeah but this *isnt* real life... its also not "us vs them" because without criminal activity... police have nothing do in Badlands.

I think the point about there being not enough criminal options is fair. I also think that its best, when going into RP situations, to drop the attitude of "im going to win". Ive seen far too many people get salty about the outcome, despite it being good RP. And yes, I mean LSPD and criminals.

there is no winning in role play. there is just an outcome.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ImVexal said:

Here you are wrong. We have Sops that we try to balance it out with civilians. We don't pull the shotgun or mp5 regularly. The combat pistol is shit and u guys rock around in groups of 4 with desert eagles or revolvers. These guys despite being nerfed do heavy damage (with armour) . I have used my shotgun 5 times in 8 months so has nearly everyone else so I wouldn't say we are overpowered what so ever...

Try rock around with 4 people and guns with stores in real life you will be gunned down with ar-15s the second u pop your head up

like penny said, this isnt real life. If it was i could have an automatic gun and body armor myself. and despite the SOPs i have still seen people gunned down with SMGs when theres one person and 4 cops. 

1 minute ago, Gianni Vermicelli said:

like penny said, this isnt real life. If it was i could have an automatic gun and body armor myself. and despite the SOPs i have still seen people gunned down with SMGs when theres one person and 4 cops. 

Report them then for excessive force? How are we supposed to combat this if people don't report it... We try our upmost best to please the civilian population and the department but we can't do anything about it if people don't speak up about it... 

• Like 1

With character slots I tried out criminal and noticed it was not fun for me. I felt like as ciminal I had no leeway in roleplay. It does not matter what I say what story I tell, how I dress or act or present myself. PD just says, well this is how it is and you have no say in the matter, we gonna charge you and process you.

• Like 4

Personally when I am in the city I don’t even bother with illegal jobs as I would rather have interactions with cops in other means. Them coming out to the MC club house for us being rowdy or when we pick fights at bars. I will say I tend to want to RP more than grind and sometimes the forced tickets are harsh. This is coming from a former member of LSPD. Mandatory restitution is what kills me doing other things as I would rather take more of a harsh jail time and RP that then lose more money out of my wallet which for someone not grinding and just trying to interact with folks hurts. Also after the time I have been around on civ and time I spent in PD I find the grind repetition not as fun as trying to organically lure cops into different roleplay scenarios that isn’t the typical call outs. Like burning a house down or breaking into a government building etc. 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 4

To be fair, if you persisted with the criminal roleplay you'd expose yourself to more cops in the city who are willing and dedicated to new RP and enhancing your experience. I personally, offer rehabilitation programs to reduce fines etc, pretend to sign them up with a probation officer to discourage them from doing the SAME criminal activity, so if I catch them dealing drugs I'll sign them up for 'Hugs not Drugs' and advise them to change their career path, as an officer obviously, I would be encouraging legal activities but really this is providing an opportunity to switch to something else criminal, that way it gives us both something to do!
With the expectation that cops reward for roleplay I have found that officers tend to just reduce the fines with some generic excuse "You were well behaved once I chased you 10 miles across town at 140mph and you shot at me, but once you were tazed you were ok, I'll reduce your fine to blah blah." Whereas the events that have lead up to this arrest can be used to enhance the RP value, so I'd sign this person up to a 'driving school' to allow them to keep their license, dependent on the reasons behind them evading in the first place therapy might be warranted or gang related rehab. It could be anything. And that's the greatest thing about RP, the possibilities are endless!
As individuals we should be leading my example, you want good RP? Be consistent, persistent and gain a reputation where people who encounter you have to rise to your standard, because it's FUN to and not an obligation!
I rambled, I'm sorry :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dashfere said:

I personally, offer rehabilitation programs to reduce fines etc, pretend to sign them up with a probation officer to discourage them from doing the SAME criminal activity, so if I catch them dealing drugs I'll sign them up for 'Hugs not Drugs' and advise them to change their career path, as an officer obviously, I would be encouraging legal activities but really this is providing an opportunity to switch to something else criminal, that way it gives us both something to do!

Hell yes - my character was offered this and it was ideal. And there are other LSPDs who RP along the same lines... but its not standard. 

2 hours ago, ImVexal said:

Report them then for excessive force? How are we supposed to combat this if people don't report it... We try our upmost best to please the civilian population and the department but we can't do anything about it if people don't speak up about it... 

Fortunately it has never happened to me but it has happened to other people. I can't file a report about something I wasn't involved in.

2 hours ago, ImVexal said:

The report bus is a large reason why I slowed down RP, then school started. So it isn't the only reason, ill post an opinion on this whole subject later

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think there just NEEDS to be more variety! All of the activities that Gianni listed sound really fun and would encourage people to do more illegal stuff. 

Plus there's many things that need tweaking, such as store robberies. I mean, they're just so bad. sometimes you don't even make the money back that you spent on the damn cracking kit. I think the reward for that just to be increased.

As for potential jewelry store/bank heists I think they should only be do-able with a minimum amount of cops on, maybe 3 for the jewelry store and 5 for the bank, obviously having a decent reward.

EDIT: also, not saying the payout for drugs are bad, but their legal counterparts pay way to much for the small risk/short pay wall (scuba diving)

Definitely think criminal based jobs should pay the most.

Edited by Oscar Wilde
  • Like 2

Going to try and stay on point of the OP here. "Criminal RP lacking".

From the standpoint of PD (I'm still a recruit), I've witnessed a handful of scenes. Some were pretty fun, some were questionable, and some I feel were just because people are bored-and-had-nothing-else-better-to-do-so-lets-throw-reason-right-out-the-window-and-make-something-up-and-call-it-"RP".

A wanted duo of individuals on one car. The driver speaks up "Hey! Is that a recruit? Is that a recruit? Is that a RECRUIT?! Well he needs practice! Let's go!" and precedes to start a high speed chase. Don't get me wrong; there have been times, as a CIV, that I wanted a "good 'ole boy police chase" but the RP value here was.... minimum.

I've also been on an active surveillance concerning the coke processing building. While I didn't get to interact with the criminals, the entire scene with the other LSPD was invaluable; I thoroughly loved it. It even involved the LSFD by the time everything was said and done; had great work with my CPL who was amazing. . . the whole thing was fantastic.

And then, as of late, we have some more nuisances in town. This isn't the place to voice my gripes about specific scenarios but it's on the line of "OK. That's just stupid and makes no sense but we'll go with it so we don't break server rules."

-----------------

I would agree that criminals need more variety. Speaking in terms of RP, strictly, I think people can use their imagination and come up with things. For instance I robbed a store. I paid $2,000 for a safecracking kit and got $699 in return. A police officer tried to stop me but made the mistake of doing so while standing in front of my semi truck. Big mistake. LSPD took it upon themselves to give a PSA over twitter, shortly after, to not deliberately run people over. I knew exactly what he was talking about - and I won't go into the entire scenario - but the one twitter post from LSPD opened up a wide door for RP. It involved me, the officer, and two of my friends. Granted it was rudely and inappropriately interrupted but that's another topic. The point here is that one job and the thinking of LSPD lead to a entirely different scenario. I could've ignored the twitter post but, instead, walked through the open door and had a lot of fun with it.

I say that to say this - don't think of criminal jobs as strictly beginning and endings. Yes - I do believe criminals need more variety in the city - but don't use that as a crutch to limit what you can do with what you have now. I think this can go both ways - toward the criminals and LSPD both. With my example above, if LSPD hadn't made that one twitter post, it would've ended there. His choice lead to even more RP between him and a wanted criminal (me).

For me, RP is the primary reason I take part in Badlands. Money is nice and I'll get it, eventually, but as I'm getting to know folks in the city it's the scenes that I look forward to the most. I can make a whole list of them; too many for this post. When people start looking at jobs for their monetary value they lose focus of the real purpose of this server; the RP. While scuba diving may pay the most (considering time, investment, and profit), it rarely offers any RP unless you take friends or drown. The criminal aspects, however, despite not being the best paid jobs in the city have the highest amount of RP doors available. Think it out before you execute and know what you're going to RP ahead of time. Value the RP over the money and you'll find yourself having a lot more fun.

One last example? When I do truck driving I always carry premium donuts. Should I ever get pulled over (for the number of laws I probably break while driving), one of the reasons I may explain is that I'm carrying a load of freshly baked donuts. When the police officer asks me (which they normally always do) "Do you know why I pulled you over, sir?" I reply with "You know what I'm carrying; you can smell it. All you have to do is ask for one, officer. You didn't have to pull me over." /offers officer 12 premium donuts.

Again. Think it out, use your imagination, and I think people will find more opportunities for RP as a criminal.

• Like 1

Would it be relatively straightforward to replicate the store robbery sequence for a jewel heist and bank robbery? So its basically cracking a safe but you retrieve a variety of jewels instead of cash for the former, and a wad of cash for the latter. I can scout out where there are open stores that could have an area to host the safe "circle point", if thats helpful?

I do also like Oscar's idea about making them only possible or only very profitable, if a certain number of LSPD are on. Is that how the algorithms are set for store robberies?  

Oscar: "As for potential jewelry store/bank heists I think they should only be do-able with a minimum amount of cops on, maybe 3 for the jewelry store and 5 for the bank, obviously having a decent reward."

• Like 1

I'll be really short and to the point to avoid long winded.
The grind for money is needed to get the vehicles you want to use. Nobody wants to ride in a heap.
Having a functional bank account matters and being able to help friends (loans/etc), repairs, hospital visits etc makes life expensive.
Illegal Jobs are SLOW. Three seperate occasions to get caught/Fined or otherwise lose your "payload". The money isn't good.

So, I've got a choice when I log in.
Go diving and grind money - at least i don't have to pay fines and i can help my friends with a relatively consistent income.
Go sit at the coke lab for three hours and hope i don't get busted/Robbed/Shot and pay fines.
Go sell the coke i just made and hope i don't get busted and pay fat fines.
Or... Go RP Criminals planning activities and make zero cash for engaging in a storyline.

You need cash to RP.
If you cannot afford to be a criminal, then you by default cannot be a criminal.

Reduce the time required, increase the amount made (in products) or *le gaspe* Increase earnings.

This will result in more people able to afford fines and activities associated with criminology.

My two cents that won't be heard.

Ciao,
Vido

• Like 6