Complaints about lack of EMS

Flori

6 hours ago, Gianni Vermicelli said:

My thoughts: If you want more EMS on the server apply to become one. If not, shut up and stop whining when you die.

Although that is one way, yes. The better way is that the whole community not just civs, steps up and bring more roleplay and interaction for EMS. Create an interesting scene when you go down and I guarantee people will see more EMS in the city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the issue with EMS is a hard one to fix. Sometimes it comes down to it just being someone's favored form of RP, and I think that's harder to come by. I believe the complaints come from a position of requiring EMS to help save lives and the elephant in the room is that there simply isn't any. We can't make people desire to roleplay as EMS, so I don't agree that telling someone to be part of the solution... is actually a solution. 

This is not an issue only our server is facing, it's every server out there. It's an unfortunate reality.

I think there are 2 things in this that would help, and that would be to do as Flori suggested by having the community behave properly when we see a hurt individual, rather than pretend they don't exist, or that that didn't just happen. Roleplay it the way it should be! Get more involved. Those viewing this thread are likely more dedicated, advanced members within the community and I challenge you to help set the precedent for how others should roleplay! 

The second is what devs have already set in place, and that's to try and make the role more alluring outside of the roleplay by including missions and other mechanical things to encourage EMS interest.

I think we should keep in mind on both sides of the coin here that FiveM/GTA5 is becoming older, and even if there are spikes in population, that overall there are newer games always coming out. I think FiveM has a while to go, but the reality is it's not as popular as it once was.

Edited by Serena
  • Like 3

One thing I have come to notice about valuing your life is that it's not always your fault when you die. I have personally gone down to crazy locals that drive on the sidewalks and the ones that drive like psychopaths at 2/6, to angry locals that pull guns and shoot you when you bump into them, or even to just a default Danny that just start punching people. In regards to people complaining, I also suggest that people apply as well. I realize it's not much of a solution but I look at it as that person that is complaining could one day be the person clocking in when nobody else is around. RP wise, I've found there's a handful of people that dont mind interacting with EMS, but there are loads more people that will stay quiet or just mumble "okay" every now and then when I am trying to RP some sort of treatment for the situation. 

• Like 1

Double pay for the person who clocks on where this is no one on. Pay more during non-peak hours, lower the ems cap so it's not abused. It happens in real life when services are short-staffed, companies pay OT, holiday pay, or night premiums to incentivize people to work. I know the money idea has been shut down before but it could be used as one temporary measure while the more long-term solutions take place (better rp from everyone, new ems activities etc). Don't know if it's even possible. 

• Like 3

If you want better RP you have to take responsibility and lead by example. No more requesting new things to do as EMS when it's quiet. Entertain yourselves. Think outside the box. Wanting money incentives shows a clear picture that people aren't doing it for the love of the job, the RP OR the server! They are doing it for cash. 
The people who die so often that it's becoming inconvenient or an issue for them... Stop doing stupid shit. Look both ways when you cross the road. Don't bump into locals who have guns and will beat you the fuck up. Don't think you can fly through a windshield and survive. SEATBELTS. It's not even value of life, it's common sense. 
If anything support your EMS when you see them. Thank them when they DO help you. Take the bleed out on the chin and don't repeat the situation that lead to your demise! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dashfere said:

If you want better RP you have to take responsibility and lead by example. 

We have been focusing in quality of RP on EMS since at least Osk and I started leading the faction, and the level went amazingly up. So yeah, thanks but we have been stressing out how important it is to represent the faction as best as everybody can.

10 minutes ago, Dashfere said:

No more requesting new things to do as EMS when it's quiet. Entertain yourselves. Think outside the box.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, but we will continue thinking "outside of the box" and having ideas to implement content for EMS that will increase interactions among players.
"Entertain yourselves" is very hard when you try to initiate FD RP with civs that don't go along... unless you are just suggesting we watch netflix while being parked at the hospital...

• Haha 1

My only issue with being on EMS is the general lack of respect most civs, or even other off duty EMS show. The most frustrating situations occur when someone is done and you get on scene and someone goes "Oh this is a hostile scene, you have to leave". Just the fact that use that phrasing you know they're ems or have knowledge of SOPs and abusing, who attempts to kill someone and then just camps the body afterwards? I've gone as far as saying, ok i get it you dont want this person picked up here let me put them in my ambulance and take them to the hospital away from here to get the response "No, i want this person to go to the light and loose all their stuff". Then there is the people that go straight to twitter after the respawn "Thanks for letting me die useless EMS". Yea sorry i had 4 other calls and im one person. I like doing EMS but these two situations are the things that frustrate me the most and just make me feel like jumping off duty not too long after clocking in.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Richie said:

The most frustrating situations occur when someone is done and you get on scene and someone goes "Oh this is a hostile scene, you have to leave". Just the fact that use that phrasing you know they're ems or have knowledge of SOPs and abusing, who attempts to kill someone and then just camps the body afterwards? I've gone as far as saying, ok i get it you dont want this person picked up here let me put them in my ambulance and take them to the hospital away from here to get the response "No, i want this person to go to the light and loose all their stuff". Then there is the people that go straight to twitter after the respawn "Thanks for letting me die useless EMS". 

This should be reported to the admin staff, it was discussed a while ago in an EMS meeting that this is not okay, and Flori would have to clarify but unless someone is actually threatening your life as EMS, you should not be responding to the simple words. Is a gun to your head? No? Do your job, imo. 

But either way, indirectly quoting SOP's like this is not alright, the scene must actually be hostile. Furthermore, the abuse of camping a body being treated as the "real death" is NOT okay. This is essentially exploiting and is definitely disruptive behavior. Report it!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Serena said:

Furthermore, the abuse of camping a body being treated as the "real death" is NOT okay. This is essentially exploiting and is definitely disruptive behavior. Report it!

This has been witnessed in the past and nothing was done about it. 

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

This has been witnessed in the past and nothing was done about it. 

All I can tell you is to report it (with evidence) and if the admin team finds it an abuse with context of the situation then it will be taken care of.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I dont play EMS as much as i should because the money we get is horrible. 22.5k per hour, thats the lowest payed job in all of the city, no doubt. U can make more money being a food delivery person or picking peaches. Im not complaining, i know EMS is mainly for RP value. But im pretty sure thats why there is lack of EMS, because just about ANYTHING else u do n the city will earn u more money :/ so with that being said u shouldnt complain about ems, being we do it for other players to help.

• Like 1

Every member of EMS is probably going to murder me for saying this, but I actually think it's probably better (and maybe by design) that the pay isn't really great -- if it was, it would attract too many folks, and honestly some of the wrong kinds of people. I'd rather have fewer people on duty but they are doing it because they want EMS RP / to fulfill that type of role than to do really shallow RP for the paycheck, even if it means better coverage of helping downed players. From a game design POV, the economy needs people to die sometimes, there should always be an element of risk. 

Edited by HalcyonEnd
wording
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, explosivedave said:

I dont play EMS as much as i should because the money we get is horrible. 22.5k per hour, thats the lowest payed job in all of the city, no doubt. U can make more money being a food delivery person or picking peaches.

Well, I don't think that is true on pay unless they have increased the pay but as I remember long ago the pay for deliveries was decreased and you would have to disobey all traffic laws endangering yourself and others to make the money you may be referring to. To keep raising pay is not the issue..... Does it get boring I'm sure it does but you are there for RP and as Richie states not everyone as a civ RP's it out, it's just get me up so I can continue to grind my cash it's a shame many are like that. If your in it for the money then your in it for the wrong reasons

5 hours ago, explosivedave said:

I dont play EMS as much as i should because the money we get is horrible. 22.5k per hour, thats the lowest payed job in all of the city, no doubt. U can make more money being a food delivery person or picking peaches.

EMS isn't about the money, it's about helping and interacting with the other civ's in the city. Sure, a pay raise would definitely bring in more EMT's and would benefit everyone across the board, but that's not a long term solution. Sure, you can do deliveries for an hour, truck for an hour, repair windmills - they're just the same recycled grind jobs that will get old quick. The appeal of EMS is that most interactions will be unique or somehow different than before. The paycheck is exactly what its meant to be - payment for your time. If you are enjoying your time, your paycheck suddenly becomes an added bonus instead of the sole reason for clocking on. EMS is what you make it and you will get out of it what you put in, especially with the possibility for promotions.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, explosivedave said:

it says im not complaining

But you are kinda of complaining by saying you don't really want to go on duty cause its the worst paying job in ALL the city which is not true. I just dont get why money is even mentioned when Flori OP has nothing to do about it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thorgs said:

But you are kinda of complaining by saying you don't really want to go on duty cause its the worst paying job in ALL the city which is not true. I just dont get why money is even mentioned when Flori OP has nothing to do about it

Thorgs, you didn't know? This server is about only money man. If you don't have money, you can't RP or have fun. ?

Edit: Money should not impact whether you go on EMS or not.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion especially amongst veteran players and players who only play in a faction (money coming in, not really going out), but you can do things for the money and still put in rp effort and take enjoyment from it. I did things for money all the time so I could support a player based economy, help out new players, entice people into taking part in events, buy a suitable vehicle for each new character, happily plan criminal entertainment for PD..list could go on. I just think that EMS pay should reflect the value of their service the way giving q priority to the factions has. And for people that really are doing it for just money or the q perk, having them do a job with built-in interaction like EMS, as opposed to solitary grind jobs like diving, gives them an opportunity to see the other rp possibilities out there and for us to interact with them and bring them into the fold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally I just clock on from time to time to have a different experience and help those when it seems like no EMS is around. I clock off a while later and am like, "Whoa I got that much? Dang, that's cool." Just a simple EMT, but if you don't care about the money then time flies and before you know it... Got some money just for RP'ing.

• Like 2

I don't clock on EMS for the money. Yes, it's nice to have and I'm, by no means, rich and overflowing with money. I clock on EMS for the RP aspect. I enjoy helping others - simple as that. I do see Flori's issues, though, as well as others that 2/3 times it is folks just standing around their knocked out friend. "Hey. Can you get him up? We have stuff to do." I even had a patient tell me, very bluntly, to "get him up now" because his wine was going bad and he simply made a mistake jumping from a roof. No RP value whatsoever.