To cop or not to cop?

Skittles

Should police characters stay clocked in all the time?

Should police characters be aloud to commit crime when not clocked in?

Is it fair that police get paychecks that help them do criminal activity when not clocked in?

For example 2 characters start at the same time with the goal to buy a meth lab. One is a police officer that gets a paycheck, the other is a civ crim that gets a welfare check. 

The criminal has to do things that could cause his cash flow to go backwards if they get caught, However the police character plays a cop while racking up a large paycheck.

I'm not saying that a crim can't beat the paycheck clock but it would be hard to do so. As the Lab is only 60k, imo the police officer would be able to make that faster.

Note: this is a non gang crim i'm talking about, just a normal criminal. maybe a safe cracker or drug seller. hes not robbing player characters. 

https://strawpoll.com/dgh4zg1g <----straw poll on if your police character should also be aloud to be a criminal. 

This is just a question, i'm totally fine how it is now.   

• Confused 2

Honestly, I don't find what you're saying adding up. Overall, it doesn't make sense for a cop to do criminal activity after clocking off. As a cop that is off-duty, he/she is still 'technically' on duty in a way (because they can still attend to calls and maintain stability when in urgent times). Being a cop involves intensive training and having a paycheck provided by the state. Being a criminal is mostly a high-risk, high reward type of pay. No one is forcing you to do crime. But you can't expect to keep doing crime and never ever get caught. There's no interactions nor any story in that point. Cops get an increase in pay every rank up they get, but no one said it was easy. As a criminal, doing the right crime full-time will get you stacks of money. But you should always expect and be ready to lose money. Logically speaking you don't lose money for being a cop by protecting a state. And regarding the "Should police characters stay clocked in all the time?", It depends on how much the player wants to roleplay as cop, there is no limit to how much one can stay on duty. But there is a limit to how many can be on duty depending on how many civs are in the city. "Is it fair that police get paychecks that help them do criminal activity when not clocked in?", See, in the end it's also up to the cop on how he/she spends his money off-duty, that's why it wouldn't be basically realistic, to do crime off-duty as a cop. The cop CAN do criminal activity, but if he/she gets caught then there will be consequences to the officers position.

Edited by Matthew King
Format issues
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Skittles said:

Should police characters stay clocked in all the time?

Should police characters be aloud to commit crime when not clocked in?

Is it fair that police get paychecks that help them do criminal activity when not clocked in?

For example 2 characters start at the same time with the goal to buy a meth lab. One is a police officer that gets a paycheck, the other is a civ crim that gets a welfare check. 

The criminal has to do things that could cause his cash flow to go backwards if they get caught, However the police character plays a cop while racking up a large paycheck.

I'm not saying that a crim can't beat the paycheck clock but it would be hard to do so. As the Lab is only 60k, imo the police officer would be able to make that faster.

Note: this is a non gang crim i'm talking about, just a normal criminal. maybe a safe cracker or drug seller. hes not robbing player characters. 

https://strawpoll.com/dgh4zg1g <----straw poll on if your police character should also be aloud to be a criminal. 

This is just a question, i'm totally fine how it is now.   

I think that once a cop clocks off from his duty he should be allowed to do whatever he likes; however, this is a bit unrealistic as this would usually never be the case in the real world.

I think the way cops and criminals are being payed is completely fair, and it's not only about the money, but the experience as well. If you want to pay as a criminal, that's your business and what you're going to earn is mainly up to how you perform and how well you can avoid the police.

• Thanks 1

A cop should OFCOURSE be able to clock off and go do crime. Them getting caught is something different all together though, getting caught youd get charged, suspended, fired etc Theres a lot of potential RP that could come from a corrupt cop. Now we're moving into a more trusting and free flowing  RP community then I think we should be able to do this if we want but understand the consequences.

Roleplay over Ruleplay

• Like 3

Fair enough, Just wondering what players thoughts were 56% vs 43% so... we got some room for debate. I don't mind either way again, however I do see each side of this coin, as we don't remove police here for doing crime as would happen in rl if they got caught.

Maybe cops that get caught have to do a set number of police dispatch hours "like desk duty".

Maybe... crims go to jail, cops get dispatch duty with reduced pay :/

Also thinking that if not at max number of police on then maybe they cant clock out? 

Edited by Skittles
adding more

On 1/15/2020 at 4:06 PM, Richie said:

Being a full time criminal done right will make more money and faster then being on PD, given the current pay system remains unchanged 

Done right = not getting caught.

The better your police are, the harder that gets.

If police got paid on commission only on fines & arrests, it would be harder for the crims to make all that money. 

Generally, if we’re talking before 2.0, yes cops would be able to clock off and do crime and wouldn’t get in trouble for it whatsoever. But now that we’re moving forward to a whitelisted community, I believe people would know their limits to how far they can go being a corrupt cop without breaking any server rules and again that depends on if the server allows it or not. And with that being said, yes, I do believe they should have desk duty, administrative leave, etc.. it could bring potential RP and I think it would be pretty good. 

Moving forward I think there should be more effort put into RP, good 1st step would be separating cop & EMS from crim
Am I saying you should be banned? of course not
As Andreas said, you should be punished (faction side) accordingly for the crimes you commit (strictly IC eg; caught by Law Enforcement, IAs would be silly)

I would say,
Infractions - Your problem
Misdemeanors - Suspension? (depends)
Felonies/Capital - Expulsion

If you do reach the point of expulsion, I think you should have to go through a condensed course as another character with a clean record to be reinstated
As for high ranking members, they should be demoted even as new characters (If you value your job, you shouldnt gamble ;))

Also think felons should be put on a registry and be unable to legally own businesses or purchase/carry firearms (good opportunity to introduce some sort of underground weapons trade that offers existing + exclusive weapons that would be harder to obtain or just force you to buy from other people, promoting interaction)
In the event that you want to reform, I think you should be able to go through a lengthy appeal process that demands prolonged good behavior

Only makes sense, least to me ?

Feedback much appreciated

Edited by Caralanco
Forgot to include EMS, yall aint safe either
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I think cops should not be allowed to do anything illegal besides minor driving charges. 

Cops should not hang out with criminals, and criminals should not hang out with cops. This is real RP, and creates fun situations with over-time results. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends if Skittles is suggesting to introduce Cops being unable to do crime as an OOC Rule or not. Currently; Officers committing felonies are ideally suspended and investigated prior to their disciplinary or dismissal from the LSPD. I see no reason to changes this. Like @Spartan said, its Roleplay over Ruleplay. Cops can be corrupt. It just takes a non-corrupt cop to catch them and defend the badge's honour.