Bluetooth in RP

ELSO

Hi. 

I just wanted to ask what exactly bluetooth is in role play and what are your opinions about it. Yesterday me and my friend kidnapped someone as a hostage because we wanted to do a robbery. When we were kidnapping him, I told him that I am taking his phone of him, so he can't communicate with anyone. Then we arrived at the robbable shop and after 1 minute his friends showed up and shot us. After that I asked them, how did you know where we are and they said that they communicated using bluetooth. This was the first time I have experienced anything like that in my whole RP journey. Therefore, my question to you guys is - What is bluetooth and how it works in RP on Badlands.

1. IRL bluetooth works only in short distances, which means the guys already kind of broke the rules because they used OOC information to help their mate. Bluetooth wouldn't work in such a long distance because they didn't follow us and just appeard out of nowhere. 

2. They said that his mate told them our position on bluetooth, however it is so unfair because irl you would hear somebody talking. My friend was right next to the hostage so he would see if he opens his mouth or something. I know that you can't hear people talking through phones either, however when using a phone, you can actually see that he is using it. Then in that situation we can just kill him straight away because he didn't listen to our orders. 

• Like 2

“Bluetooth” is essentialy communication on an outside voice service such as discord. Taking his phone should have been reason enough for him not to use that and in my opinion this is a case of meta gaming.

Edited by Richie Ticky
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, ELSO said:

Hi. 

I just wanted to ask what exactly bluetooth is in role play and what are your opinions about it. Yesterday me and my friend kidnapped someone as a hostage because we wanted to do a robbery. When we were kidnapping him, I told him that I am taking his phone of him, so he can't communicate with anyone. Then we arrived at the robbable shop and after 1 minute his friends showed up and shot us. After that I asked them, how did you know where we are and they said that they communicated using bluetooth. This was the first time I have experienced anything like that in my whole RP journey. Therefore, my question to you guys is - What is bluetooth and how it works in RP on Badlands.

1. IRL bluetooth works only in short distances, which means the guys already kind of broke the rules because they used OOC information to help their mate. Bluetooth wouldn't work in such a long distance because they didn't follow us and just appeard out of nowhere. 

2. They said that his mate told them our position on bluetooth, however it is so unfair because irl you would hear somebody talking. My friend was right next to the hostage so he would see if he opens his mouth or something. I know that you can't hear people talking through phones either, however when using a phone, you can actually see that he is using it. Then in that situation we can just kill him straight away because he didn't listen to our orders. 

They shouldn't have done it. They were using some other form of communication, like Discord or Teamspeak. Bluetooth, just like you said, doesn't even make sense from an RP standpoint, as it would only work with the phone that you hijacked. Even if for RP they had voice dialing and such, you would have heard them doing that (IRL).

Pretty much everyone in a group is using discord to talk, and if one of them runs into a hostile situation they will immediately tell the others on discord about it. You should just expect it to happen and prepare for it rather than be upset if it does.

Additionally most hostile RP between civs (not cops) results in everyone pulling guns on eachother to avoid losing anything other than the time it takes for EMS to showup so you're better off just using your friends as a hostage. Also the cops never seem to have fun when I rob stores with a hostage, my guess is they've seen hostage situations a billion times, so you're better off using something else to rob a store. 

Edited by Ringo

That isnt the case? Should we expect it? When the guy kidnapped him he took his communication and transported him elsewhere in the city and his buddies knew where he was because of that. This is 

Meta Gaming

Everyone should be made to use earpieces to simulate that they are using other form of communication or something of the essence.

I would just prefer to deport anyone who continues to use it after communications are taken.

If anyone has the same cases as the above please record this situation or just start to record everything and file a player report, please. This way the Administrators can see that this is an growing on going issue

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ringo said:

Also the cops never seem to have fun when I rob stores with a hostage, my guess is they've seen hostage situations a billion times, so you're better off using something else to rob a store. 

We kidnapped a cop today instead of a normal person to make it better :D

When it comes to using your friend as a hostage, I don't think that it is fair and I have never done that. I always kidnap people so it is not too easy for me. I don't care about money. I just want good role play. 

I know everyone uses bluetooth, so I think to make it more realistic we should bind our push to talk to same button for game and discord. You wouldnt be able to hear the other end but could hear what they were saying. However, I think the same should apply to cops using radio. Irl you can hear what cops say to dispatch unless they walk away. 

I know for me at least I always wear an ear piece in game to signal I am in bluetooth. However, if someone takes my phone I mute and deafen my discord.

• Like 4

OK if this is the one I am thinking about:

1st. you took the weapons yet the "weapon disablement kit" wasn't used. This has been added for a reason.

2nd. phone wasnt taken. well thats what I was advised 

3rd. who kidnaps people on a Carbon RS? if they are bound the wouldnt stay on. if their hands are free they could take out their kidnapper.  Also on a bike doing 100mph your friend wouldnt have the time to see someone talking.

4th. To jump to being META all the time without having all the facts isnt right. 

The phone was taken because I said on the gas station where we kidnapped him "I am taking the phone of you". 

We didn't take the weapon of him. I actually forgot about that one but 100% phone was taken.

I am gonna agree with you that the role play wasn't great from our side and we understand that, however I created this topic just to ask people what the bluetooth thing actually is in role play because I have never exeprienced it before. From now on I will say that "I am taking your phone and every communication device that you have on you", so there will be no way the kidnapped guy will be able to communicate with anyone. 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:06 AM, Ringo said:

Additionally most hostile RP between civs (not cops) results in everyone pulling guns on eachother to avoid losing anything.

Trust me, it happens with LSPD way too often. People can’t accept to be caught and call their friends to hold police officers at gunpoint. 

Edited by Livia Cullins

19 minutes ago, Livia Cullins said:

Trust me, it happens with LSPD way too often. People can’t accept to be caught and call their friends to hold police officers at gunpoint. 

I just mean between civs because robbing someone is basically impossible they'll just kill or be killed. Cop Civ shootouts I have no problem with because otherwise the cops will charge max ticket price for stuff like having a single joint on you

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Cop Civ shootouts I have no problem with because otherwise the cops will charge max ticket price for stuff like having a single joint on you

Cops are told time and time again by our higherups to reward good RP. Try putting effort into roleplaying, and you won't get charged out the ass. We put roleplay before gunplay always.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Storrent said:

Cops are told time and time again by our higherups to reward good RP. Try putting effort into roleplaying, and you won't get charged out the ass. We put roleplay before gunplay always.

Nah I put in good RP plenty. The Issue is I've also shot so many officers that they don't even give us a chance to say anything. Case in point last night we killed the only two police officers online like 3+ times -- My RL friend who plays with me and is new to the server got caught selling drugs a little while later, he was only with us for one meth cook that we shot the cops on, and he gave a pretty good & funny story about why he was there doing what he was doing -- made one of the cops laugh. Sadly the second cop there was too upset about being killed that he verbally abused him and gave him max fines.

1 hour ago, Storrent said:

Yeah but at the same time that means we have to put ourselves at a cops mercy. If he has some sort of disposition because he thinks you're attached to someone else or whatever else it might be they usually don't care at all for a good RP. I can't tell you how many times I genuinely began to put effort into the RP with a cop but they just process me as fast as possible. If we ever try to create friction with a police officers decision it's always just "If you don't like it file an IA report, enjoy your time in prison, bye."

Shit like that pushes people to not even want to deal with the cops, making us want to shoot our way out almost every time. Perfect example I got pulled over for going 88 in a 75, legitimately was trying to drive slow but my eyes were somewhere else at the time. Cop pulls me over and I decided to just RP the situation out instead of running. He wants to give me a $5000 fine right off the bat, calls in other officers to deal with me, etc etc. I have to push and push and push to try and get him to walk the ticket down, and by the time my guys had rolled up onto the scene. He made a last ditch attempt at lowering the ticket once he saw the guys roll up, but by that point it was too late. We pulled guns and got out of the situation, one officer attempted to fight and was killed. The second officer we put in the back of the car, took him a decent ways away from his cruiser and let him out to get back to his car on foot. As that server time went on we were actively hunted by the same two cops that seemed to spend 100% of their time in Sandy Shores following anyone they might have thought to be us around.

Situations like that make me never want to put myself at a cops mercy, even if it's for the sake of a good RP. Most of the time it's just too much of a loss. I understand that you're supposed to reward good RP with the lowering of fines, but give us some good experiences in return. Cops don't always have to be these leather faced angry mother fuckers trying to crack down on anyone they deem suspicious. If you want to be the hard wall of the justice system every time we make contact, then we're going to be the hostile force you expect a drug running gang is supposed to be.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

Yeah but at the same time that means we have to put ourselves at a cops mercy. If he has some sort of disposition because he thinks you're attached to someone else or whatever else it might be they usually don't care at all for a good RP. I can't tell you how many times I genuinely began to put effort into the RP with a cop but they just process me as fast as possible. If we ever try to create friction with a police officers decision it's always just "If you don't like it file an IA report, enjoy your time in prison, bye."

Shit like that pushes people to not even want to deal with the cops, making us want to shoot our way out almost every time. Perfect example I got pulled over for going 88 in a 75, legitimately was trying to drive slow but my eyes were somewhere else at the time. Cop pulls me over and I decided to just RP the situation out instead of running. He wants to give me a $5000 fine right off the bat, calls in other officers to deal with me, etc etc. I have to push and push and push to try and get him to walk the ticket down, and by the time my guys had rolled up onto the scene. He made a last ditch attempt at lowering the ticket once he saw the guys roll up, but by that point it was too late. We pulled guns and got out of the situation, one officer attempted to fight and was killed. The second officer we put in the back of the car, took him a decent ways away from his cruiser and let him out to get back to his car on foot. As that server time went on we were actively hunted by the same two cops that seemed to spend 100% of their time in Sandy Shores following anyone they might have thought to be us around.

Situations like that make me never want to put myself at a cops mercy, even if it's for the sake of a good RP. Most of the time it's just too much of a loss. I understand that you're supposed to reward good RP with the lowering of fines, but give us some good experiences in return. Cops don't always have to be these leather faced angry mother fuckers trying to crack down on anyone they deem suspicious. If you want to be the hard wall of the justice system every time we make contact, then we're going to be the hostile force you expect a drug running gang is supposed to be.

If you can't accept to be caught, don't do it. As simple as that. Do you think cops in real life would be like "yeah you killed 3 of my officers but you're nice, here's 50% off your ticket!"? I'm personally really really flexible, but I have procedures to follow and if you give me attitude, I won't cooperate.

Just think about it, if your character had only ONE life, no chances of reanimation by an EMS, if your character was you. Would you really kill a cop because he fined you? Would you really do what you're doing with your character?

Edited by Livia Cullins
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Livia Cullins said:

If you can't accept to be caught, don't do it. As simple as that. Do you think cops in real life would be like "yeah you killed 3 of my officers but you're nice, here's 50% off your ticket!"? I'm personally really really flexible, but I have procedures to follow and if you give me attitude, I won't cooperate.

This goes against the spirit of the game. You're telling us you won't reduce ticket prices for good RP, so we will shoot you. You will then not reduce ticket price because we shot you two hours ago. It will just be a cycle of gunplay everytime.

8 minutes ago, Livia Cullins said:

I think you missed the entire point of my post. What I was doing was just some minor infraction of the law. I hadn't killed any officers coming up to the point at which I had that experience.

I can understand the police going nuts after I killed an officer, but I'm saying the reason why it all happens in the first place is because putting myself at a cops mercy multiple times in the past had just turned into an experience that not enjoyable and/or too costly.

I'm very very rarely rude to someone without cause, but it seems like every officer I run into has this "Fuck you, guy" mentality before a word even comes out of my mouth.

4 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

I think you missed the entire point of my post. What I was doing was just some minor infraction of the law. I hadn't killed any officers coming up to the point at which I had that experience.

I can understand the police going nuts after I killed an officer, but I'm saying the reason why it all happens in the first place is because putting myself at a cops mercy multiple times in the past had just turned into an experience that not enjoyable and/or too costly.

I'm very very rarely rude to someone without cause, but it seems like every officer I run into has this "Fuck you, guy" mentality before a word even comes out of my mouth.

There's cops that are assholes, there's cops that are really nice, and there's cops that are a mix of both. Thats how people play. And as Storrent said, officers are being told again and again to reward. If you have a complaint, you can always fill up a IA report or try to talk to a higher rank. There is multiples solutions for civils when they feel they weren't treated right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Livia Cullins said:

There's cops that are assholes, there's cops that are really nice, and there's cops that are a mix of both. Thats how people play. And as Storrent said, officers are being told again and again to reward. If you have a complaint, you can always fill up a IA report or try to talk to a higher rank. There is multiples solutions for civils when they feel they weren't treated right.

What you literally just said is the reason why these situations exist. "File up an IA report if you're unhappy".

That's such an easy way out response. It's blatant every time that's brought up that the officer at hand doesn't want to deal with the situation he's created. It's a ploy to buy himself/herself time to let an admin respond to a situation that is in most cases so minor that it shouldn't have to be dealt with by him to begin with.  At the same time I imagine that officer is hoping the detained person doesn't bother to actually follow through with the whole thing because that shit takes so much time to get a response on. By the time you've come around to getting a response and the situation is being dealt with by a higher-up the moment of confrontation has long passed.

Now instead we're put in a situation where I can put myself through all that misery and possibly find myself in a situation where I'm being dealt with by a stubborn unhelpful cop, or I can be a drug gang affiliate and roll up on you and take you hostage or kill you and not even give you the chance. For me personally, obviously the latter is the less painful route, but that kills RP for cops because I imagine they get tired of being kidnapped or killed.

Instead of constantly telling us to file an IA report, how about we come to a happy medium and find a solution?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ringo said:

This goes against the spirit of the game. You're telling us you won't reduce ticket prices for good RP, so we will shoot you. You will then not reduce ticket price because we shot you two hours ago. It will just be a cycle of gunplay everytime.

This is not what I meant by that. I am saying, IMO you have to have a really good reason to shoot a police officer. We deal with so many "shitlords" that love way too much to gunplay tbh, can be irritating at moments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Livia Cullins said:

This is not what I meant by that. I am saying, IMO you have to have a really good reason to shoot a police officer. We deal with so many "shitlords" that love way too much to gunplay tbh, can be irritating at moments.

I gunplay when cops catch me making meth. I am part of a drug organization who's sole purpose is to commit illegal acts for profit. In a way the gunplay is more RP than telling the cop that I was infact cooking meth thank you for the $10000 ticket. 

Yet all the same I get treated poorly due to this fact.

Edited by Ringo

Just now, Shufflin said:

What you literally just said is the reason why these situations exist. "File up an IA report if you're unhappy".

That's such an easy way out response. It's blatant every time that's brought up that the officer at hand doesn't want to deal with the situation he's created. It's a ploy to buy himself/herself time to let an admin respond to a situation that is in most cases so minor that it shouldn't have to be dealt with by him to begin with.  At the same time I imagine that officer is hoping the detained person doesn't bother to actually follow through with the whole thing because that shit takes so much time to get a response on. By the time you've come around to getting a response and the situation is being dealt with by a higher-up the moment of confrontation has long passed.

Now instead we're put in a situation where I can put myself through all that misery and possibly find myself in a situation where I'm being dealt with by a stubborn unhelpful cop, or I can be a drug gang affiliate and roll up on you and take you hostage or kill you and not even give you the chance. For me personally, obviously the latter is the less painful route, but that kills RP for cops because I imagine they get tired of being kidnapped or killed.

Instead of constantly telling us to file an IA report, how about we come to a happy medium and find a solution?

"File up an IA report if you're unhappy" is what we have to say to people complaining in our faces. We do our job at the best we think, if YOU think we were wrong, its YOUR job to go to a higher up. Arguing with you in game won't lead nowhere but irritation. If the police officer did something wrong, they will be talked to. You can ask for the higher rank on duty, file a report, message SGT+, talk to admins, there's a lot of solutions as I said on another post. You can even DM the police officer and try to see their side of the story, too.

"It's a ploy to buy himself/herself time to let an admin respond to a situation that is in most cases so minor that it shouldn't have to be dealt with by him to begin with." If it was so minor, I don't think you would post about it. 

"By the time you've come around to getting a response and the situation is being dealt with by a higher-up the moment of confrontation has long passed." higher ups are people too - surprisely - they will come to you as soon as they can.

"or I can be a drug gang affiliate and roll up on you and take you hostage or kill you and not even give you the chance" don't complain if the cops catch you and give you no chance at that point. That's what we call shitlords.

• Like 2

• TiLLeR locked this topic