Lack Of EMS - Discussion

Cambin

Getting rid of pills is a bad idea. I shouldn't need to go to hospital or call a medic when someone accidentally punched me.

Overdose might be a good option. Take too many in a short period of time and you get negative effects. 

Maybe a tolerance factor could be used. Starting at server restart the pills become less effective the more you use them.

Edited by Dreadstar

I think with pills it's a bit too easy to not go down. And there is less consequence of dumb things. A middle ground of making the pills/weed effect decay over time, and even them not working after the decay sets in until you get checked out is good. Pills should be a temp band-aid type fix not a full solution to the I am hurt problem. 

And (posted this before reading what speed said about "so stay tuned") 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 2

I do like the pill idea, but feel like sometimes 1 punch hurts a hell of a lot... Maybe to balance the removal of pills, or whatever idea speed has up his sleeve, we either deal less damage or have some more health? I just feel it's silly that a muscle spasm could potentially lead to needing immediate hospital attention. This could happen unintentionally so often...

• Like 2

I love the idea of removal of pills. Pills are just so generic. 

I understand what Serena is saying, A muscle spasm is the worst, but I think one way to counter that is, why not just lower the damage a punch does? Lets be real, getting knocked down after only 3 or 4 punches is whack. A fist fight should go a good 10 - 20 seconds. At least that's my opinion. 

• Like 3

So I understand a lot of ideas have flown through here today and I have some to add to the list. I will try and break these up as best I can to help organize thoughts and such. I do understand that speed has an Idea for pills, as do I. Maybe it is something he is working on, or something he could use or add. But here goes.

First for pills. I was thinking a pharmacy in the hospital where you can purchase different meds from the hospital that is purely stocked by the EMS who while on duty can produce the pills. Now maybe the EMS can get a small payment for making them, like half of what it costs currently if they sell them to the hospital shop? Or maybe no shop in the zonah hospital and have the EMS sell the pills at player ran stores and having those shops while owned being the only places where pills can be procured by civs allowing for more interactions and uses for the player ran stores. (which I want to see more of)

• Like 2

Flu shots – Now this could go a few ways, I am thinking that the vaccines can be made at the hospital and stored in a fridge. Made purely at the hospital by EMS personnel. Then players can come and purchase a vaccine from the hospital or player for a temporary boost that reduces food and water consumption until the player is downed, not seeing the light, but goes down. Then they will need another vaccine again, where vaccines can be purchased for 500-1000.

• Like 1

First aid kits/DOT’s –

So it has been suggested about a damage over time thing, where if you get hit, you take a few tics of health damage over time until you get seen at a hospital. Along with this, perhaps EMS personnel can create these kits at the hospital to be sold @ Mount Zonah or player owned stores. This will bring in RP to where they will need pills/weed/or first aid kits. This will also open up for First aid training to PD and teach them to use first aid kits so that they may help up players when EMS isn’t around? But with them only available through EMS it would make it rare? I don’t know just random thought while typing this.

• Like 1

Blood drawing –

Now this can have a few uses. First, to have blood drives and create blood bags that ems can use when a med kit fails to revive a player on the spot with partial health, however, they must be kept in an ice chest that will also have a decay timer same as the blood.

Next, Using the lab we can have DNA tests, blood tests, and other such things that PD has to coordinate with EMS for on going investigations and such requiring the use of a lad. Urine tests or blood draws for drug user, drunkards, and such. This will allow for pathology RP to be a thing and add to immersion of anyone who wants to RP out being sick or having STDs and such.

• Like 2

So I made the original post, but I haven't dabbled in EMS (yet) so that's why I wanted to start a discussion, hopefully with people that have. So I'm glad to see ideas and suggestions popping up.

A little clarification, in my post I said EMS sitting at Legion. That's not a knock or complaint, it's just an observation that is a sign there isn't a lot going on. As LSPD, we can patrol and still feel like we're being semi-useful, however I can completely see how EMS would feel like it's pointless to patrol.

Pills are a good starting point. There's been times I've been in a situation I shouldn't have made it out of and survived by popping a bottle of pills. 

As for lack of RP. I think as a civ, it can be difficult to RP injuries. Sure it hurts. Or you just say "I was shot", "I got hit by a car". Obviously it would be extremely painful, but beyond that, it's hard to RP the pain without screaming at the mic. I appreciate EMS putting effort into theirs, but it is inherently more difficult to RP injuries than say a traffic stop with LSPD since most people haven't been in those injury situations so we're making it up or just waiting for EMS to do their thing. 

7 minutes ago, Dale Firebird said:

As for lack of RP. I think as a civ, it can be difficult to RP injuries. Sure it hurts. Or you just say "I was shot", "I got hit by a car". Obviously it would be extremely painful, but beyond that, it's hard to RP the pain without screaming at the mic. I appreciate EMS putting effort into theirs, but it is inherently more difficult to RP injuries than say a traffic stop with LSPD since most people haven't been in those injury situations so we're making it up or just waiting for EMS to do their thing. 

You dont need to scream from pain. But almost every call starts EMS asking questions, What happened? Where does it hurt? How much does it hurt?.... Instead of going though that boring list, as patient you can start yourself when EMS approaches you, you tell them; "Hey doc, I had this car accident and I think I injured my knee, its very painful and I think its bleeding real bad.". That alone gives EMT all the info she/he needs to initiate RP, and not go question by question interaction that is so tiresome tbh.

Edited by Victor
  • Like 2

A lot of talk about the pills here and while I agree they are part of the issue they alone are not the whole issue here. I remember when pills went from $250 a piece to $100 a piece the amount of calls dropped dramatically ( @Raptor started thread LSFD thread with pill suggestions in Feb when this happened)  and with the addition of the healing circles at the hospital again another dip in the amount of calls here. I personally believe the issue with the whole healing/health is the mentality of the players themselves. When you see both sides of robbery shoot outs grab cover at some point and start eating pills like candy then that to me seems to be a problem. Just because pills are available doesn't mean that people need to use them all the time like they are being used now, no one is force feeding them down your throat. So the only way to get them to be changed is get them off they street. While I don't believe fully removing them would help anything (people would just walk around with joints instead) maybe we could look into some prescription based pills. People need to go to hospital/pharmacy for their meds and just like irl you can only get a certain amount for a set amount of time. There were some great other suggestions as well. I think all can agree Buyable, Spammable health is BAD!!!

Now here is what I personally think is the reason more people LSPD or Civ over going LSFD, which in turn leads to times where there is no LSFD on. LSPD and Civ are both for the most part proactive roles in the community. While on the other hand LSFD is more of a reactive role in the community. Most people are just better suited or enjoy proactive role better than the reactive role. Nothing wrong with that, we are all here to have fun after all. People get off work and school and want to get away from the monotony of everyday life. They would rather hop on LSPD and smash baddies or do car chases, or hop on Civ "Run the Streets" or do something exciting. Very few people want to wait around for Bobby to fall down and scrape his knee so that they can kiss it and make it feel better. Personally I don't think this a bad thing but after being in all factions actively for almost a year this is what I attribute to the numbers. It's a role not suited for everyone and I'm personally OK with that.

• Like 2

Hey everyone,

I am sort of new here, it's only been a few weeks or so. If I miss the point here. Please feel free to help me better understand. I'd also like to say that anything I say in the following should not be mistaken as a complaint. I will make some comparisons with the LSPD and LSFD. I will admit that my understanding of the LSPD is minimal. However, this will be my viewpoint with my level of understanding.  

The lack of EMS. 

I'd like to start off by saying that I think it's awesome that we have the level of dedication within the EMS field. Every single person I have interacted with both on and off duty has been phenomenal. With that being said, I think there is a clear divide in the way that I've heard how people wish to spend their time. I think it's very important that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy their respective playstyle; EMS, PD, Civ. However, I believe that all humans are creatures of habit.

If a person wishes to fulfil their dreams within the city and are in need of funds to do so. They're going to follow the route of least resistance to obtain said goals. If this means that they can clock on duty with the Police to earn a paycheck that supports their respective dreams, it's feasible that they will do exactly that. If a person is finically secure within their life, they may desire to chase criminals regardless of the pay they receive. On the flip side, that same person could desire to be an empathic individual and provide exceptional medical services regardless of the pay they receive while doing so. But- we still have this issue that has been brought up stating that at times, there is a lack of EMS. I too agree that often a full city has no EMS on duty, and that's a problem for everyone respectability. I do not believe that creating any system within game in regards to limiting medical supplies available for civilians to use will fully address the problems mentioned. I think that if we were to look closer at the issue, we would see that when given the option to make a substantially more money in one faction,  this will pull from the other two factions. However, I do not believe that pay increased or decreased will solely solve any problem.

I propose that Emergency services work to close the monetary gap, coupled with new ideas that create new and fresh reasons for Civilians to interact with EMS. With that, you could also create more ways for EMS to interact with the Civilians. 

I'd also like to point out that the meta of dependability on the EMS is a major factor. The amount of risk that a person may take within the city with EMS on/off duty has a major role in their RP experience. I think it's important that we realise that there is a ripple effect that touches the three factions. 

Again, I do not wish to "Dog" on the Police or EMS. I think that the Police put an incredible amount of time into learning the role, rules and policies they are bound by. It's simply stated that it's a bit easier to join the EMS team and becoming a "Full-fledged EMT". I also believe that there are some extremely dedicated EMS members who lead by example every day, and often go unnoticed. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my small wall of text.

Regards,

Mitch Rogers

P.s Wear your seatbelts! 

EMS is better then it has been, I've been in the server since end of January and we never had EMS on which was my inspiration to apply. A lot of the complaints have been coming from new people in the server, which isn't bad having new people but you guys need to realize you don't  have the progress knowledge of the server down yet.

As to what can fix issues I can give input from what EMTS have told me:

1. Pay raise; basically they clock off to go do wine etc because it's not giving them the incentive to stay on. Yes it should be about the RP but it is a light RP server and for most people there first RP server.

2. Lack of RP on calls. People don't give realistic injuries or just want to get up. This said there are complaints from the other side that EMT's are taking too long to get people up and from my experience not listening to what the patient is telling them and doing there own thing.

3. Disrespect while on duty. This is a ongoing issue for both factions. Focusing on EMS the disrespect falls into people purposely shooting off guns to make EMS run away, Police not communicating with the ems when on scene and people harassing the emt while they are working.

4. SOP's are too strict. Like I said this is what I've been told. It's been said EMS are robots. when on duty people feel that they can't do anything because they will get in trouble.

That's feedback I've received from people so hopefully it helps.

• Like 2

Here is an idea. Lets say that a robbery happens at sandy shores, due to the fact that we can all see the news when the robbery happens. I think an EMS should dispatch to that area ASAP, and not be in site until police clear the area and call EMS (This might already be in place, but when I am on duty as a officer I don't see it happen, and it will cut down time waiting on EMS to come from the city or wherever they are). Another thing is to have PD and/or Civilians report knocked out locals due to the fact that we can revive them now. That also puts possible Murder charges on civilians if EMS can not revive them, and also creates RP with the EMS/LSPD/civilians even more.

• Like 1

i understand where everyone is coming from.. i mean ive spent at least 8 hours on as EMS and i think i got maybe a handfull of calls before To me there is really not much we can do about how many EMS personal is on at said giving times yes it would be good for them to be on but maybe they had IRL stuff all of a sudden come up and couldnt get on for a few or couldnt be EMS i had this happen to me the other day with a cop.. i ran 2 red lights and stored my car in the garage and got pulled over and told them that i had IRL stuff and it was important and they understood why i did that.. but even if we change something to have x amount of EMS at a certain time wont change anything unless that said EMS likes it and now wants to be on.. Giving EMS a raise wont change anything or changing anythign that EMS do besides maybe giving them more RP other then helping down players... but thats just my 2 cents worth 

13 hours ago, errorlink said:

3. Disrespect while on duty. This is a ongoing issue for both factions. Focusing on EMS the disrespect falls into people purposely shooting off guns to make EMS run away, Police not communicating with the ems when on scene and people harassing the emt while they are working.

This is the biggest complaint I've heard from people on EMS. A lot of people will disrespect EMS. I've seen PD disrespect them. I've seen people yelling at them saying "you need to fucking do your job better."  Other then the pay being too low to keep them on during down times because the extra pay for pick ups is nothing if everyone is valuing their lives more and not getting downed as much.

The lack of RP can be frustrating too.  A lot of people seem to use 'oh I slipped give me an ice pack' to get out of scenes with EMS.
Not much you can actually rp out with some guy falling on his ass.

Edited by BlackMagic0