Do away Police and Criminals on the same character

Hi,

I strongly believe we need to do away with cops and criminals on the same character as its very open for them to use inside information etc.

Right now it is too easy for someone to just sign on as a cop and use information etc of very recent on-goings. There is also a high risk that the cops will favor friends/gang members over others when policing situations.

Does anyone else agree that you should have separate characters to perform the role of a Police Officer?

• Like 1

Having separate characters doesn't just make someone magically forget what went on duty. 

18 hours ago, Storrent said:

Police and civilian lives are and always have been separate, regardless of character slots.

This goes for EMS as well. 

19 hours ago, Morphiushell said:

There is also a high risk that the cops will favor friends/gang members over others when policing situations.

If you have any evidence of this going on, you may submit it in an IA report and higher-ups will look it over. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion but I wish the server let cops be held accountable for off duty actions and criminal activities. And it be dealt with in the game. Via suspensions and being fired. 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Kota Taylor said:

Unpopular opinion but I wish the server let cops be held accountable for off duty actions and criminal activities. And it be dealt with in the game. Via suspensions and being fired. 

Yes something like this would go a long way to helping the situation. I have seen and others have also noted instances where cops have went out their way to help those they are affiliated with during criminal interactions etc and also experienced instances where they used information obtained before clocking in on duty.

3 hours ago, Morphiushell said:

I have seen and others have also noted instances where cops have went out their way to help those they are affiliated with during criminal interactions etc and also experienced instances where they used information obtained before clocking in on duty.

https://badlandsrp.com/forum/46-internal-affairs-police-misconduct/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kota Taylor said:

I agree with this makes way more scene for RP purposes anyways. Cant think of any reason other that a slight inconvenience to people switch characters and being put in the first spot Que when they log out and back in. Have two separate characters if you want to do illegal stuff or run the risk of getting suspended or fired. 

Yea basically what I am saying is either have separate characters or have a record for all crimes committed and make it that doing crime they can/will lose their job ie being a dirty cop.

And of course you can't be hired if you are a criminal.

Something else to potentially look into would be judges etc who can pay out compensation for crimes etc I tried to RP this recently when my car was speed bombed and I got a lawyer involved etc looking for compensation due to the damages etc but i was told its not a thing and any payment from the cops etc come from their own pocket. Ie like when doing tows etc. Surely the cops shouldn't have to use their own pay if thats the case they are unlikely to want to call for tows etc.  

15 hours ago, Morphiushell said:

Something else to potentially look into would be judges etc who can pay out compensation for crimes

Kinda getting off OP but Why would a judge compensate you for a crime? and to your example getting compensated for a speed bomb cause I seriously doubt a cop would give you cash for something they had nothing to do with 

Victim Compensation is potentially 'sploity and not a realistic thing for the devs to program in so that I'm not handing out my own cash for something, like @Thorgs said, I had nothing to do with. Also, some criminals may actually be broke, so extracting the money from them is not an option and again, places more burden on the dev team to develop a mechanic that doesn't really add a lot of RP value.

However, back to the topic at hand, I think with the (newish) character slots that revisiting off-duty conduct of PD/FD characters would be something I'm interested in purely from the perspective of someone who plays a character that identifies as a cop whether they are on- or off-duty. But I caution making this change, because we're opening the door here to "permanent" criminal records, which means more time spent by Officers post-processing to essentially write a report. We have a hard enough time right now getting Officers to properly fill out the warrant form.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thorgs said:

Kinda getting off OP but Why would a judge compensate you for a crime? and to your example getting compensated for a speed bomb cause I seriously doubt a cop would give you cash for something they had nothing to do with 

What I was getting at was the cops shouldn't be using their own cash to pay out for tows etc that should come from the government. Having judges and a court system would allow for us to roleplay such things as going for compensation etc etc. If you are proven correct then the government would pay out. It's simply just another layer of RP is what I was suggesting there. 

On 5/5/2019 at 1:37 PM, Morphiushell said:

Hi,

I strongly believe we need to do away with cops and criminals on the same character as its very open for them to use inside information etc.

Right now it is too easy for someone to just sign on as a cop and use information etc of very recent on-goings. There is also a high risk that the cops will favor friends/gang members over others when policing situations.

Does anyone else agree that you should have separate characters to perform the role of a Police Officer?

sorry but even with different  character slots you cant fully eliminate that risk, all you are doing is potentially limiting people to be less likely to clock on duty with a dual purpose character because they'd have to log out wait in the first position que change characters just to clock on.l and as for favoring are you actually seeing what you think you are seeing, or just seeing what isn't there because perhaps their rp was better then yours and it seemed like they got favoritism.

1 hour ago, Agnar_BurnsAll said:

sorry but even with different  character slots you cant fully eliminate that risk, all you are doing is potentially limiting people to be less likely to clock on duty with a dual purpose character because they'd have to log out wait in the first position que change characters just to clock on.l and as for favoring are you actually seeing what you think you are seeing, or just seeing what isn't there because perhaps their rp was better then yours and it seemed like they got favoritism.

No I am seeing what I think I am seeing. Look all I am trying to do is contribute with some suggestions. I have been informed of the correct channels to report such issues if they arise in the future. I have asked some friends to come back and play and do the same if they have any issues.

In the end all we want to do is have fun. RP in my opinion is about taking the losses as well as the wins. Sometimes the loss is more fun and we tend to remember those losses for a long time. I have just ran into a lot of situations where people go out their way to ensure that they and their group/friends win.

I will say it again we have a diamond in the ruff here and if we can all work together I am sure the server will keep on growing. However atm I feel people are more power gaming rather than roleplaying.