Why does some people think its rp fail to fight back?

fireman3431

On 5/1/2018 I was robbed at the gold refinery ( almost robbed). After they (they = 3 of them) tell me they are going to rob me of the gold bars i just worked up. i tell them they are not getting anything from me.  then one of the three starts saying I'm failing rp. As they tell me for the third time , they was robbing me.  I walked up to one and started to beat the crap out of him and did. then the other two shot me down. But all the time all i could hear was them crying about i broke rp , because i fight back, even with three of them. I'm not a person who just rolls over to the masses, i know the cost of my actions and was OK with the cost. But, the crap about as soon as the robbers  start to LOSE its fail rp. is B.S..  They told me i was suppose to roll over to them because i was "out numbered".  And, another thing as soon as it does not go their way they are the first to start yeilling rp fail, out loud.     Mods I'm sorry if this is not the right place for this. And, sorry to the forum needed to vent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its been a debate for a while.. at what point you value your life enough to comply? or fight back cause its in your characters nature?

If you didn't break character, if you fought and defended yourself RPing it out, they were in the wrong. They were the ones breaking out of character and failing to RP... Whoever feels somebody broke any RP rules, they can report them at the forums, but they have to see to the end of the scenario without interrupting it.

• Like 5

In my opinion, the second they break character to tell you that you're doing something wrong, they've lost the argument. It doesn't mean you've won, it just means they're in the wrong too. Mature roleplayers can settle things in-character, even when an out-of-character disturbance occurs. Just keep in-character no matter what and you'll probably be fine.
Also, people, please stop robbing people at peaches/gold. It's just a scummy thing to do. Let us make our money man

• Like 2

I think that a fail-to starts at the moment it when it’s getting unrealistic. If you have a gun and get robbed by one or two other players you surely can use your gun since you have a fair chance. At 3 you start to be outnumbered. Not complying with robbers outnumbered like that unless they have pistols and you have an assault rifle to pull out seems to be just failure of valueing your life. That is against the rules of the server and would end up in a fail rp report. Try to set yourself into that situation we’re 3 armes guys try to rob you with guns. Would you really try to fight them when they all point a gun at you?

i also see a chance of fighting even if outnumbered if you played well. For example you have a truck an lure just one around the corner and then just have 2 more two deal with. In that case i would as the robber step back from any fail rp complaint and would say you just played tactical in your role. 

think of it this way,if someone points a gun to your head IRL,weather it is two people one person or 3,would you really be all balls and just start punching the person? hell no you would not lets be real here...as far as then saying that u fail rp because  you did not wanna give up your gold or what ever,yes they should not have broke Role playing for that,but also i think you could have handled that situation better yourself. either way im not trying to take sides here,just voicing my opinion.

• Like 1

At 3 you start to be outnumbered. Not complying with robbers outnumbered like that unless they have pistols and you have an assault rifle to pull out seems to be just failure of valueing your life. That is against the rules of the server and would end up in a fail rp report

You are wrong... you are not required to roll over and do whatever the robbers tell you to do.  If we enforced that rule you'd have gangs of 4 pointing guns at every person not in a group b/c of 100% getting their way.  It would ruin the server and the experience of a large majority of the players.  If your RP is 'I have 3 guns at you give me everything' you'll get nothing... If you are creative in your RP (it's an RP server after all) you may get something.  

@fireman3431 sounds like you did nothing wrong... they - however did.  If you break character to tell someone they are breaking a rule you'll get banned... simple.  Don't do it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TiLLeR said:

You are wrong... you are not required to roll over and do whatever the robbers tell you to do.  If we enforced that rule you'd have gangs of 4 pointing guns at every person not in a group b/c of 100% getting their way.  It would ruin the server and the experience of a large majority of the players.  If your RP is 'I have 3 guns at you give me everything' you'll get nothing... If you are creative in your RP (it's an RP server after all) you may get something.  

@fireman3431 sounds like you did nothing wrong... they - however did.  If you break character to tell someone they are breaking a rule you'll get banned... simple.  Don't do it.

Well if you say so, that’s fine. I just think that when three people stand in front of me I would play a person of fear valueing his life rather then searching a fight. Obviously if I notice that a group of people is playing like that over and over again, at some point my character would evolve his characteristics so that he’s less afraid and start to prepare himself to fight his way out. Also a role can be a former soldier or retired cop or what ever makes him trained and specialized on a gun enough to think that he could fight 3 people and even honor himself by trying to take down 3 people all by himself. But that in my opinion just applies when not every second person plays a role like that. After all people should still think about the fact that this server is about the roleplay not the money grinding. If I would rob someone I would always give him the chance of keeping at least a fair amount of his stuff if he plays a good roleplay without a maybe unnecessary fight. 

I really struggle with the "realistic" argument because there is so much unrealistic to begin with. I see your point for sure, but at the same time, is robbing a gold processing plant and stealing gold bars from someone realistic? Never heard of that in my life. Is getting robbed several times a week realistic? IRL I've never been robbed once. So does that mean we shouldn't allow robberies? Or not allow them at certain places.

You see how that argument could be used all over the city? It's all about finding the balance. Is it realistic to fight 3 bad guys with a gun? Probably not. But who are we to say they can't try? He did get shot after all. Wouldn't that be the consequence IRL?

I'm not saying I have a definitive answer to this, it's just something I struggle with in GTA RP. I am one that likes realism, but there is so much inherently unrealistic to begin with (it is a game after all), that it can be hard to distinguish what should be and what shouldn't be "realistic".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Different people also have different levels of skills and training. The average Joe isn't going to try to fight 3 people.  Now someone with 13 years of military experience, 6 years of corrections experience has gone through several unarmed self defense classes and ppct classes (Pressure Point Control Technique) may or may not depending on spacing, distance of subjects may decide to engage.  Takes a special someone to run into a burning building and not run away from it. 

But we also need to remember it's a game and we are all here for the RP and to have a good time.  Value of life means a lot of different things to different people.  I'm sure there are several veterans that are on server.. they signed a blank check up to including their lives by doing so... not everyone is willing to do this so other then following the rules and trusting in the Admin staff to regulate things to keep things a even playing field so all can have a good time in a controlled environment.

• 2 weeks later...

Still there are a lot of people that treat it like GTA online and pull out guns because that's their end to an argument or their way to RP things out. Nah that's just you not wanting to RP and just pull guns cause you think that's RP. I don't think you did anything wrong with that scenario. The ones with guns did.

I remember a group wanted me to work for them and tell them about the local gangs blah blah.  I was more interested in the music playing in the one car and I RP'd the interest in the music. I could have cared less about them with guns cause you see it happen far too often with that as the first thing people do. Even in the the actual city oh you insulted me *pulls out gun* get out of here in stead of acting out the scene. Oh you hit my car *pulls out gun shots you.* Like barely anyone really RPs. 

There is a small group that really do RP. I know who they are and I also know the ones that are just treating the game like GTA online.

• Like 3

@fireman3431 Im glad you made this post.

So, 1st off, regardless of the situation that lead up to it. Going OOC voip and complaining about somebody not RP'ing the way you want them to, is the worst offense possible in RP, IMO. So they (3) failed completely right there.

In interest of curiosity though, Why did you tell them that you won't give them anything?

They have no idea how much you have, or even what you are doing.

Why couldn't you RP out having no knowledge of what they were asking for?

Or make up a story about your kids being sick and you need the money for medicine more then they do, and you willing to fight for it to the death?  

Did you have back up around the corner waiting, or were you alone?

And my last question is, did you simple say "no" because no matter what injury you my have suffered, you knew the medics would pick you up, and you would lose nothing?

Again they should have shot you for non-compliance and left the scene and found somebody else that is willing to RP the way they want to.

Going OOC through voip to call it fail RP is wrong 100% of the time. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My last question and it is something I ask myself for every character and action. 

Would you have done this the same way, (say no to 3 armed robbers) if characters only had 1 life?

Were you most certainly would have been shot, killed, and lost everything?

If yes, then you did nothing wrong in the world of RP......   

Edited by Merr Khan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2